Roseman University of Health Sciences - 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That and also the reputation that the U just feels they are better and look down and talk bad about students from Roseman. A friend told me that the reputation is only a Utah thing mostly because of the U. That in other states Roseman students are given the same chance as any other and not looked over like then are in Utah. Is there any truth to this?

Reputations are made over time. Roseman hasn't been around long comparatively.

Of course there are some that look down upon Roseman and its graduates and it isn't just a Utah thing. It exists in other areas where there are long-established pharmacy schools and a large amount of USN grads (i.e., So Cal and San Fran).

However, the main reason many in Utah are frustrated with Roseman is because they've kept expanding their class size.

Wherever you end up, best wishes to you. May I suggest you learn to develop some thick skin. And, work hard and represent whatever school you graduate from well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reputations are made over time. Roseman hasn't been around long comparatively.

Of course there are some that look down upon Roseman and its graduates and it isn't just a Utah thing. It exists in other areas where there are long-established pharmacy schools and a large amount of USN grads (i.e., So Cal and San Fran).

However, the main reason many in Utah are frustrated with Roseman is because they've kept expanding their class size.

Wherever you end up, best wishes to you. May I suggest you learn to develop some thick skin. And, work hard and represent whatever school you graduate from well!

That is true. It's the U's fault that Roseman is even here in Utah anyway but yes, we are definitely viewed as an inferior pharmacy school around these parts. I can't say I blame the haters because yes, it's rather annoying that in a flooded market they are increasing the class sizes every year. Sounds like they are just out for money. I much rather prefer Rosemans curriculum than the U's though. I've even talked to some students at the U and they told me they wish they did their classes the same way. Oh well, I guess you'll only be as good of a pharmacist as the work you put in regardless of what school graduate from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I start panicking? I submitted my application in late November and still no call for an interview. Should I follow up on my application? What should I do???

So far this year (P2) we have gotten at least 120 slides per day and as many as 240. Each assessment is usually 6 days worth of material but our last one was 8 days worth due to the Christmas break schedule. Some students print out the slides 4-6 per page and take notes by hand but other import them to OneNote and takes notes electronically. It totally depends on what works best for you. Really it's not too bad though. During P1 year, 80 slides was considered a lot and about the most you could get done in the 6 hour lecture but in P2 year we have way more material but we get done by lunch almost everyday. I'm not sure why that is but it's true.

I haven't heard any stats regarding which campus performs better but I'm sure they exist. At the South Jordan campus it seems like 15-20% of the class has to come back for Monday reassessment and the majority of those students pass. If I had to guess, I would say the South Jordan campus probably does a little better because when it gets cold there is nothing to do but stay inside and study whereas Henderson is usually always playing weather and there is a lot more things to do. Overall though, Roseman students at both campuses do very well. Bottom line is, if you make it graduation, then you will be well prepared for the NAPLEX and will do very well (99% passing rate for 2011 graduates). If given the choice, you should pick whichever campus is the best fit for you. Henderson campus is the more desired campus. It fills up the fastest.

Hi,

I have a question about P3 at Roseman. If I find a paid job as intern or pharm tech in P3 year, can these paid hours be applied toward APPE hours?

Thanks! :cool:

Hi,

I have a question about P3 at Roseman. If I find a paid job as intern or pharm tech in P3 year, can these paid hours be applied toward APPE hours?

I'm not sure how other states do their hours, but for Utah licensure, you are required to have 1500 hours of pharmacy intern experience. The maximum hours you can get through your school (IPPE rotations in P1 & P2 and APPE rotation in P3) is 900 hours. If you add it up, over your 3 years at Roseman you will actually get over 2000 hours worth of pharmacy experience but unfortunately, you can only count 900 of those hours. That means you have to come up with 600 hours on your own outside of school experience. I would recommend trying to get a job as soon as possible and working on your hours so you aren't stuck having to rush to get them done at the end and having to volunteer your time rather then getting paid. Like I said, these are the requirement for licesure in Utah, but I'm assuming many states have very similar requirements.

Should I start panicking? I submitted my application in late November and still no call for an interview. Should I follow up on my application? What should I do???

Just relax. They call people for interviews up until the end of February so I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Hi,

No, your APPE hours have to be unpaid. They make a big deal out of that so you will get in lots of trouble if you try to pass off your work hours as APPE hours.

No, your APPE hours have to be unpaid. They make a big deal out of that so you will get in lots of trouble if you try to pass off your work hours as APPE hours.

Hi,

I have another question. When is a good time to start to work (paid job)? In P3 or the middle of P2?

And should we work as paid intern or technician? which is favored?

Thank you!:cool:

Hi there,

I am so curious about these questions. Please help to answer them.

1. What's "residency"after PharmD degree.
2. Do we need a "residency"to work in hospital or in any inpatient settings?
3. Do we need a "residency"to work in retail/community settings?
4. Do hospitals hire new grads w/o residency?

Thanks a lot folks! :bang:

Hi,

I have another question. When is a good time to start to work (paid job)? In P3 or the middle of P2?

And should we work as paid intern or technician? which is favored?

Thank you!:cool:

You should start work as soon as you can find a job as they are hard to come by. Keep in mind, doing 600 hours outside of school can take a while, especially if you are only working a few hours per week. You will have your intern license NOT a technician license so you will have to work as an intern.

Hi there,

I am so curious about these questions. Please help to answer them.

1. What's "residency"after PharmD degree.
2. Do we need a "residency"to work in hospital or in any inpatient settings?
3. Do we need a "residency"to work in retail/community settings?
4. Do hospitals hire new grads w/o residency?

Thanks a lot folks! :bang:

Residency is similar to your last year of pharmacy, doing rotations and what not, however, you do get paid (a little), you are a licensed pharmacist, and you do a lot more presentation and projects. You can also work as a pharmacist covering certain floors in the hospital.
To answer the rest of your questions, that it totally depends on the situation. While it is not required to complete a residency to work at a hospital, it is highly recommended is pretty much the standard. Since the pharmacist market is over saturated, the push to complete a residency has been ever increasing. Think about it, if you were hiring a pharmacists in your hospital and one applicant completed a residency and the other hadn't, who would you pick? I think the obvious choice would be the one who did a residency. I certainly don't think that by completing a residency it makes you a better pharmacist, however. It's just one more thing you have up on the next guy, one more item on your CV. I have heard of pharmacists getting hired at a hospital without a residencym but recently, all new pharmacists that we have hired have done a residency. It depends on what company and what hospital it is too. If you work in a tiny hospital in a rural area, then it's probably not that big of a deal that you do a residency. The respresentative from the big hospitals around our school have done presentations and they have all said that they won're hire someone that hasn't done a residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
when is orientation/first day for this year's entering class?

I'm not sure how other states do their hours, but for Utah licensure, you are required to have 1500 hours of pharmacy intern experience. The maximum hours you can get through your school (IPPE rotations in P1 & P2 and APPE rotation in P3) is 900 hours. If you add it up, over your 3 years at Roseman you will actually get over 2000 hours worth of pharmacy experience but unfortunately, you can only count 900 of those hours. That means you have to come up with 600 hours on your own outside of school experience. I would recommend trying to get a job as soon as possible and working on your hours so you aren't stuck having to rush to get them done at the end and having to volunteer your time rather then getting paid. Like I said, these are the requirement for licesure in Utah, but I'm assuming many states have very similar requirements.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=675982

http://www.visalaw.com/IMG/charts.html

Residency is similar to your last year of pharmacy, doing rotations and what not, however, you do get paid (a little), you are a licensed pharmacist, and you do a lot more presentation and projects. You can also work as a pharmacist covering certain floors in the hospital.
To answer the rest of your questions, that it totally depends on the situation. While it is not required to complete a residency to work at a hospital, it is highly recommended is pretty much the standard. Since the pharmacist market is over saturated, the push to complete a residency has been ever increasing. Think about it, if you were hiring a pharmacists in your hospital and one applicant completed a residency and the other hadn't, who would you pick? I think the obvious choice would be the one who did a residency. I have heard of pharmacists getting hired at a hospital without a residencym but recently, all new pharmacists that we have hired have done a residency. It depends on what company and what hospital it is too. If you work in a tiny hospital in a rural area, then it's probably not that big of a deal that you do a residency. The respresentative from the big hospitals around our school have done presentations and they have all said that they won're hire someone that hasn't done a residency.

Relatively good info Pong Champ though many would disagree with your statementI certainly don't think that by completing a residency it makes you a better pharmacist, however. It's just one more thing you have up on the next guy, one more item on your CV.

Which Intermountain hospital do you work at? I probably graduated with several of the pharmacists there. You'll have to tell them Hi for me.

Good residency info link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842016

interview invite- Feb 21st in Nevada :soexcited: I seriously couldnt believe it because i have been waiting for almost 4 months.

I think i have read that the chances of getting in if you get an interview are not super high because there is still a lot of weight placed on the interview...right?

I got the invitation to interview yesterday :soexcited: and im scheduled to interview in utah on feb 2. any advice for me??? =)

interview invite- Feb 21st in Nevada :soexcited: I seriously couldnt believe it because i have been waiting for almost 4 months.

I think i have read that the chances of getting in if you get an interview are not super high because there is still a lot of weight placed on the interview...right?

From the Roseman website you actually have an excellent chance:

•Application Statistics for 2011 admission cycle:
Applications received: 801
Students admitted: 145 Nevada campus & 112 Utah campus
Highlights of Admitted Students:
Overall GPA: 3.6
Median PCAT Composite Percentile: 69
Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 50%

The previous year they had about the same number of applicants and interviewed around 75% of the pool.

Almost 2/3rds of everyone interviewing gets in. Even though it only says that 257 students (145+112) matriculated. Keep in mind that many students end up matriculating at another school that accepts them after they receive their Roseman acceptance (i.e., they turn down their Roseman acceptance offer). So really it is more like 400 are accepted out of 600 who received interviews. In addition there are some people who turn down an interview offer all together. Sounds like good odds to me and certainly better odds than it was several years ago. Also it isn't clear if the admitted stats above refer to all admitted students or just those who actually accepted the offer and followed through with matriculation; so that means the average GPA and PCAT for actual matriculated students may be lower than what they list on their website.

So, best wishes on the interview and congrats for making the cut so far!

Last edited:
To answer the rest of your questions, that it totally depends on the situation. While it is not required to complete a residency to work at a hospital, it is highly recommended is pretty much the standard. Since the pharmacist market is over saturated, the push to complete a residency has been ever increasing. Think about it, if you were hiring a pharmacists in your hospital and one applicant completed a residency and the other hadn't, who would you pick? I think the obvious choice would be the one who did a residency. I certainly don't think that by completing a residency it makes you a better pharmacist, however. It's just one more thing you have up on the next guy, one more item on your CV. I have heard of pharmacists getting hired at a hospital without a residencym but recently, all new pharmacists that we have hired have done a residency. It depends on what company and what hospital it is too. If you work in a tiny hospital in a rural area, then it's probably not that big of a deal that you do a residency. The respresentative from the big hospitals around our school have done presentations and they have all said that they won're hire someone that hasn't done a residency.

Hey thank you so much for your helpful information.

I have another question. My home state is not NV or UT, and I come from CA. Can I have intern license in both UT and CA?

Thanks again! :laugh:

Relatively good info Pong Champ though many would disagree with your statementI certainly don't think that by completing a residency it makes you a better pharmacist, however. It's just one more thing you have up on the next guy, one more item on your CV.

Which Intermountain hospital do you work at? I probably graduated with several of the pharmacists there. You'll have to tell them Hi for me.

Good residency info link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842016

I never said I work for Intermountain. Anyway, all of the pharmacists I have talked to that have done residencies says that after a few year of practice it's all a wash. The only advantage of doing a residency that I see is having an easier time finding a job and being able to get BCPS certification sooner. Bottom line is that you won't remember things unless you are doing them in practice on a daily basis so I would tend to agree with the idea that after a few years of practice, a residency trained pharmacist and a those pharmacists who got done with school as was able to get on at a hospital have the same skill level. I am planning on doing a residency so I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing one, I just don't think it's as important as some people think.

Hey thank you so much for your helpful information.

I have another question. My home state is not NV or UT, and I come from CA. Can I have intern license in both UT and CA?

Thanks again! :laugh:

Yes, you can have an intern license in multiple states. You will need an intern license for whatever state you plan on working as an intern, paid or unpaid. Most out of state students who want to go back to their home state during their P3 year to do rotations will get their intern license in UT or NV while they are in school then also in their home state. One more thing to keep in mind, make sure you know what the pharmacists license requirements are for the state that you ultimately plan on getting licensed in because many states differ as to how you need to record your intern hours.

I never said I work for Intermountain.
You didn't say either way but you implied that you work at a hospital with many residency trained pharmacists. The hospitals in Utah that are likely to have the majority of their RPh staff be residency trained and in truly clinical positions, other than the UofU hospital or the VA hospital, are likely Intermountain hospitals (i.e., LDS, Primarys, IMC, McKay and Utah Valley).

Anyway, all of the pharmacists I have talked to that have done residencies says that after a few year of practice it's all a wash. The only advantage of doing a residency that I see is having an easier time finding a job and being able to get BCPS certification sooner. Bottom line is that you won't remember things unless you are doing them in practice on a daily basis so I would tend to agree with the idea that after a few years of practice, a residency trained pharmacist and a those pharmacists who got done with school as was able to get on at a hospital have the same skill level.
This is a misleading and disingenuous statement to make. The fact of the matter is that if you don't do a residency you may never have the opportunity to do what a residency trained pharmacist will be hired to do. Clinical duties in a hospital are different than staffing duties and I'm not saying one is better than the other just that they are different. Yes, one can learn clinical duties without a residency but why would a pharmacy administrator hire and train a non-residency trained pharmacist when they can hire someone who has already been trained through a residency. As you said in a prior post if a hiring manager had two candidates for a clincal hospital position and everything was equal between them except one had residency training and one did not the one with residency training would get the job.

I am planning on doing a residency so I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing one,
I encourage you to keep working towards those plans especially if a clinical position continues to be your desired type of position. The fact that you already intern in a hospital gives you a leg up.

I just don't think it's as important as some people think
This is quite obvious:) I would wager that once you start residency and your first post-residency job you'll feel at least a little differently about this. I certainly do.

Nowadays, few people are able to shortcut the conventional process of arriving at a clinical position. Naturally, Roseman grads may be more inclined to want to do so though as many of them arrived to Pharmacy school on an abbrievated timeline and all go through Pharmacy school on one. And then they graduate with more debt than those from state schools making a 1-2 year major pay cut (i.e., residency) often appear like too much of a sacrifice. And this doesn't even address the issue of how taking the unconventional road also often makes for a more arduous road later on.

Don't take offense to what I'm saying. I'm a USN grad myself and enjoyed my time there. Going there was the best option for me and I can't complain with regards to how things have worked out for me up to this point in my career. I've also seen the majority of my former classmates and recent USN grads also enjoy the fruits of their labors and of those who support them. My goal in posting is to make sure the information students receive on this thread is as correct as possible; that has also been what I've sought when I've asked questions here on SDN.

I'd also recommend any interested in residencies read post #16 on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842016
and this thread (dates back to my P3 days but still applicable) #42: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9418638#post9418638

Last edited:
Hey Lid04PP1 got invitation from roseman yet

No :( I am little worry! I dont think I will get an invitation there :( I just send my fall grade to the school and hopefully getting all A's will change their mind! haha. How about you? When did you submit your application?

Submitted application 12/3/2011 and get a confirmation of recieved application 12/8/2011, then contact the school on application 12/8/2012 still under processing. send them my fall 2011 grade. finally coming in with academic forgiveness and still waiting for invitation

I never said I work for Intermountain. Anyway, all of the pharmacists I have talked to that have done residencies says that after a few year of practice it's all a wash. The only advantage of doing a residency that I see is having an easier time finding a job and being able to get BCPS certification sooner. Bottom line is that you won't remember things unless you are doing them in practice on a daily basis so I would tend to agree with the idea that after a few years of practice, a residency trained pharmacist and a those pharmacists who got done with school as was able to get on at a hospital have the same skill level. I am planning on doing a residency so I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing one, I just don't think it's as important as some people think.

Hey thanks again for posting your advice. Couple more questions.
1. What is "BCPS" certification? how to get it? easy?
2. Is there any federal or state loan forgiveness/reduction programs for PharmD new grads? I just hope to reduce my loan debt though...

Thank u!!! :thumbup::rofl:

You didn't say either way but you implied that you work at a hospital with many residency trained pharmacists. The hospitals in Utah that are likely to have the majority of their RPh staff be residency trained and in truly clinical positions, other than the UofU hospital or the VA hospital, are likely Intermountain hospitals (i.e., LDS, Primarys, IMC, McKay and Utah Valley).

This is a misleading and disingenuous statement to make. The fact of the matter is that if you don't do a residency you may never have the opportunity to do what a residency trained pharmacist will be hired to do. Clinical duties in a hospital are different than staffing duties and I'm not saying one is better than the other just that they are different. Yes, one can learn clinical duties without a residency but why would a pharmacy administrator hire and train a non-residency trained pharmacist when they can hire someone who has already been trained through a residency. As you said in a prior post if a hiring manager had two candidates for a clincal hospital position and everything was equal between them except one had residency training and one did not the one with residency training would get the job.

I encourage you to keep working towards those plans especially if a clinical position continues to be your desired type of position. The fact that you already intern in a hospital gives you a leg up.

This is quite obvious:) I would wager that once you start residency and your first post-residency job you'll feel at least a little differently about this. I certainly do.

Nowadays, few people are able to shortcut the conventional process of arriving at a clinical position. Naturally, Roseman grads may be more inclined to want to do so though as many of them arrived to Pharmacy school on an abbrievated timeline and all go through Pharmacy school on one. And then they graduate with more debt than those from state schools making a 1-2 year major pay cut (i.e., residency) often appear like too much of a sacrifice. And this doesn't even address the issue of how taking the unconventional road also often makes for a more arduous road later on.

Don't take offense to what I'm saying. I'm a USN grad myself and enjoyed my time there. Going there was the best option for me and I can't complain with regards to how things have worked out for me up to this point in my career. I've also seen the majority of my former classmates and recent USN grads also enjoy the fruits of their labors and of those who support them. My goal in posting is to make sure the information students receive on this thread is as correct as possible; that has also been what I've sought when I've asked questions here on SDN.

I'd also recommend any interested in residencies read post #16 on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842016
and this thread (dates back to my P3 days but still applicable) #42: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9418638#post9418638

I would be very lucky to work for either Intermoutain or the U, unfortunately neither place is hiring. I have done some institutional site visits at a few Intermountain facilities though. Besides, 99% of our faculty that teaches for P2 work for Intermountain or the U so you get a lot of exposure there too.

Hi, guys! I am Cynthia who will be interviewed on Feb 7th at the Henderson Campus!
Can you guys give me some advice for the interview so that I can do well on that?
How long will it going to take? Was that hard? Honestly, I have high GPAs for both cumulative and science, but I am not a native speaker.
So, I am really worried about the interview.
That would be really nice if you guys give some advice for that! Thank you!

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/ruhs-pharm/survey/26

You should be able to find interview questions form previous years using the link above. You will likely to be interview by one faculty and a p1 student.

My advise would be look at the questions from the past interview and have some good personal stories you can weave into the answers.

Do one to two mock interviews w/ someone (hopefully had been through grad school interview and will be able to provide useful feedback). This should get you ready and bring down the anxiety level during the real interview.

You only have less than 30 min to tell them who you are and why you should get a spot for class 2015. Make sure you can deliver a clear and concise answer to the questions under the time constrain.

Best of luck to all of you.

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/ruhs-pharm/survey/26

You should be able to find interview questions form previous years using the link above. You will likely to be interview by one faculty and a p1 student.

My advise would be look at the questions from the past interview and have some good personal stories you can weave into the answers.

Do one to two mock interviews w/ someone (hopefully had been through grad school interview and will be able to provide useful feedback). This should get you ready and bring down the anxiety level during the real interview.

You only have less than 30 min to tell them who you are and why you should get a spot for class 2015. Make sure you can deliver a clear and concise answer to the questions under the time constrain.

Best of luck to all of you.
that is helpful!! Thank you!

Hey everyone,
Just got an interview a few days ago for feb 2nd. After reading these posts looks like about half of those who receive an interview get admitted. I was wondering though do they base their decision mostly on the interview once you get offered one? Or do they still look at all parts of the application after the interview as well. I heard from a few people that this pharmacy school in particular puts a lot of emphasis on the interview process. Any thoughts?

Hey everyone,
Just got an interview a few days ago for feb 2nd. After reading these posts looks like about half of those who receive an interview get admitted. I was wondering though do they base their decision mostly on the interview once you get offered one? Or do they still look at all parts of the application after the interview as well. I heard from a few people that this pharmacy school in particular puts a lot of emphasis on the interview process. Any thoughts?

The critical emphasis throughout this thread and last year's thread has been to consider the interview as the most important part. Last year's thread had someone mentioning that 2/3 of the total admission score points come from the interview.

Hey everyone,

u got the one in utah????

Is anyone interviewing in Utah on Thursday? (the 19th)

do all you guys have experience in this pharmacy field??
I don't have any experience in this field so I don't know how I can answer if they ask me if I have ever worked in this field.

Congrats to those who have been accepted and those who were invited for an interview! I hope to apply in Roseman Nevada when I finish my pre-reqs.

I do have a question, how many times can one retake an exam (if score is lower than 90%) before being kicked out? It's one of the most intimidating things I fear about the school. It sounds very steep.

do all you guys have experience in this pharmacy field??
I don't have any experience in this field so I don't know how I can answer if they ask me if I have ever worked in this field.

Typically we will look over your application and ask you questions about the work experience you do have. There will some situational questions that you will be able to answer without having had any pharmacy practice experience though.

Congrats to those who have been accepted and those who were invited for an interview! I hope to apply in Roseman Nevada when I finish my pre-reqs.

I do have a question, how many times can one retake an exam (if score is lower than 90%) before being kicked out? It's one of the most intimidating things I fear about the school. It sounds very steep.

So you take the assessment on Friday, if you don't pass, you study over the weekend and retake a similar assessment on Monday. If you don't pass that, you have a summer remediation. You can have a maximum of 5 "summers" and on the 6th one, you have to withdraw from the program. It does sound a little intimidating but really it's not that bad. If you study hard during the week you shouldn't have a hard time passing the assessments.

Reactions: 1 user
EDIT: The name was just changed this year from University of Southern Nevada.

It appears that the application for Fall 2012 is up, so I thought that I might as well post this thread for all the usual questions and answers and interview things.

FYU, I am a current P1 student at the Henderson, NV campus, so I've been through the application process, and I'm starting to go through the curriculum and IPPEs and whatnot.

How was the interview process? How should we prepare and what should we expect? Will there be an essay we will have to write at our interview?

I just got a call from Dr. DeYoung on a follow up for my transcripts. Does he call everyone for transcript follow-up or could there be a slight interest in my application? :( My fall transcripts should arrive sometime today or tomorrow. I am nervous....What is the latest date you can get an interview?

So you take the assessment on Friday, if you don't pass, you study over the weekend and retake a similar assessment on Monday. If you don't pass that, you have a summer remediation. You can have a maximum of 5 "summers" and on the 6th one, you have to withdraw from the program. It does sound a little intimidating but really it's not that bad. If you study hard during the week you shouldn't have a hard time passing the assessments.

Roseman is good at preparing us students for passing licensure exams. I just learned that the Pharmacy has 99% NAPLEX pass rate, and their Nursing(UT campus) has 100% pass rate!!! Excellent Roseman (USN)!!!:thumbup::clap:

There is a "99% pass rate" on the NAPLEX by Roseman grads, fine.

But how many students who start out as Freshmen go on to actually graduate?

From my guesstimates from the Web site, etc. only about 50% of students who are admitted complete the 3-year program. Is that right?