RS94

5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello all, I'm still figuring out this website so I don't think I'm posting where I should be. But long story short, I got into Roseman COD (pass @ 90% and fail curriculum) as well as Midwestern IL. If I want to give myself the best shot of specializing (6 year OMFS) would you say its wise to go to Roseman, since that would mean only having to worry about CBSE studying and EC's? Also, would going to a P/F program put me at a disadvantage to those with a rank? I love general dentistry and I know it's pretty early to know if I want to specialize, but if I do, I just want to give myself the best chance. Thank you for your help!

Feb 11, 2020
Status
Pre-Dental
My vote is Roseman. P/F grading is absolutely helpful if you plan to specialize down the road. You won't have to stress about grades too much, and as you mentioned, you can invest your energy into CBSE and other extracurriculars that will make you a strong OMFS candidate. You should not be at a disadvantage under this grading system; in fact, some of the dental schools with the highest specialization rates in the country (e.g. UCLA, UCSF, Columbia) all have P/F grading systems.

Reactions: RS94

RS94

5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you so much! It also seems to me that more students specialize out of Roseman as compared to Midwestern IL (if anyone can confirm this that would be great)!

About the Ads
Jul 5, 2018
Hello all, I'm still figuring out this website so I don't think I'm posting where I should be. But long story short, I got into Roseman COD (pass @ 90% and fail curriculum) as well as Midwestern IL. If I want to give myself the best shot of specializing (6 year OMFS) would you say its wise to go to Roseman, since that would mean only having to worry about CBSE studying and EC's? Also, would going to a P/F program put me at a disadvantage to those with a rank? I love general dentistry and I know it's pretty early to know if I want to specialize, but if I do, I just want to give myself the best chance. Thank you for your help!
Not Roseman...

Big Time Hoosier

Man. Myth. Legend.
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2015
Murica
Status
Dentist
P/F curriculums are definitely the way to go
Unless you have a solid class rank, then that becomes a serious asset. I speak from experience. And even at P/F schools, your dean may allude to your class rank in their letter.

OP, neither of these schools are known for the number of people they send on to specialty residencies. If you are relying on loans, I seriously would think twice about adding more debt onto the $600,000 you’ll have from either of these schools. Specializing can easily add on $200,000+. Think about that for a minute.

Big Hoss

Reactions: RS94

RS94

5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Unless you have a solid class rank, then that becomes a serious asset. I speak from experience. And even at P/F schools, your dean may allude to your class rank in their letter.

OP, neither of these schools are known for the number of people they send on to specialty residencies. If you are relying on loans, I seriously would think twice about adding more debt onto the $600,000 you’ll have from either of these schools. Specializing can easily add on $200,000+.

OP, neither of these schools are known for the number of people they send on to specialty residencies. If you are relying on loans, I seriously would think twice about adding more debt onto the $600,000 you’ll have from either of these schools. Specializing can easily add on $200,000+. Think about that for a minute.

Big Hoss
Thank you so much... I sent you a message as well!

About the Ads