Roseman vs. USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BayAreaBae

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have been accepted to both of these schools and need help deciding which one is a better fit. Obviously both are really expensive so I’m looking for clinical/curriculum/environment/experience/ etc. I am waitlisted at other schools that are more ideal for me, but until then I need to make a choice.

I am from the Bay Area so regardless I would have to move out and pay rent wherever I go. I am definitely more of a lecture attending person, but that’s just because that’s what I’m used to. Idk how I would do in PBL..

I would really appreciate your opinions and inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you researched the cost difference? I know the cost of living would be obviously WAY more expensive at USC. I say go to Roseman for the P/F, group test, lots of free time and cost

I’d be wary of Roseman’s dental school (AEGD is awesome though). It’s not near the quality of education that USC would provide. That being said, cost of living is much more manageable in UT.

Sent from my iPhone using
Can you explain why you question the dental school?

i have been accepted to both of these schools and need help deciding which one is a better fit. Obviously both are really expensive so I’m looking for clinical/curriculum/environment/experience/ etc. I am waitlisted at other schools that are more ideal for me, but until then I need to make a choice.

I am from the Bay Area so regardless I would have to move out and pay rent wherever I go. I am definitely more of a lecture attending person, but that’s just because that’s what I’m used to. Idk how I would do in PBL..

I would really appreciate your opinions and inputs.

I know it's besides the point but if you don't mind, when did you receive your acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like not many ppl can comment on these 2 schools? Are they that bad? Lol should I not attend any of them?

I am in such a horrible situation.
I can think of other ways to describe being accepted to two schools for one of the most coveted degrees in the country.

It's not gonna be perfect, but they'll both equip you with the ability to be your own boss and do really well for yourself so long as you're good with money management. That's more than the vast majority of people can say.

Reactions: 3 users
Yea that’s bad. But someone gave me a long explanation on why Roseman is bad too. I am in such a horrible situation. I don’t want to go to a school that just hands out DDs/dmds and that’s how it’s feeling

You should probably just reapply.

Reactions: 2 users
I would go to Roseman. When I interviewed there they seemed to care a lot about each student, and the students seemed genuinely happy. Block schedule seemed great (more free time, easier time management). The facilities are nice too and they have a good patient pool. Finally, you get to work with more difficult cases because they only have two residencies.

WesternU is a newer school, but it's pretty good. I call it the "discounted USC" because most of the faculty there left USC to teach at a new dental school and to get away from politics. You get the same training as USC, but for less. They really prepare you well for board examinations, WREB and CDCA licensure examinations, have awesome pedo rotations, and you learn Invisalign, E4D, get to use 3M digital scanner, and you have no specialty programs. The only thing lacking is oral surgery (depends on your patient pool). Some students get a lot of extractions, others not so many. The students are not allowed to do full bony impacted extractions. I think this is a good school (better than Roseman) with clinical experience.

I have worked with LLU students and think that they have some great experience. You really learn clinical procedures and get some awesome pre-clinical sim lab and lab work experience. That's all I know about them.

any thoughts on LECOM? im already headed there but honesty would be appreciated

I would do externships at oral surgery and/or GPR/AEGD residency programs to get more hands-on experience. LECOM has a hard time retaining faculty. If you do your due diligence in studying for boards, practicing in sim lab like a fiend, doing CE courses and externships, you should be fine. Ultimately it's up to you to make the best of your experience. I don't know much about LECOM. I know it's new and accredited, but I've heard from some buddies there that the clinical experience isn't as good as other schools. I wish you luck and work hard!

Are externships and CE reserved for graduates or is it something I could do while in school? LECOM has AEGD on site, would it be smart to go and shadow them? Thanks for the advice

Both schools have a long history of great curriculums, patient pools, graduating above average dentists, and are in areas that aren't in the nicest areas but let lots of patients and procedures. I would go with whichever is cheaper and a place you want to live.
Would you mind sharing your opinion on ASDOH? There’s not much information about ASDOH on this thread and it would be great to hear your opinion since you seem very well knowledged on Dental education. Thanks

Last edited: