Roseola vs Scarlet Fever- shelf exam vignette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

picmonic freak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was on our family medicine shelf exam.

An 8 month Caucasian baby had a fever of 103.5 which went away on its own. During, the fever, he had trouble (Swallowing or Eating?). 3 days later, he developed a rash that began on the Torso. The child seemed to not be bothered during the time of the rash. The rash "began on his chest and spread to extremities" (no other details of rash given.

It neither confirmed nor denied any visual oral abnormalities. It made no mention of seizures either. I know it prolly makes a huge difference, but I don't remember if it said trouble SWALLOWING or EATING..... but anyway, because of that sentence..... It made me wonder if he had strep throat that led to scarlet fever..... but before taking that in to account, I was for sure it would be Roseola.
But this is basically all the info it gave.

Was curious if you guys thought it was Scarlet Fever or Roseola. If it makes a difference to you, let me know what you think if "eating" was the correct word, and if "swallowing" was the right word.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A high grade fever that dissipates followed by rash that starts on the trunks and moves out to the extremities sure as hell sounds like HHV-6. You should be ok, don't worry about it. Enjoy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Roseola to me. Trouble w/ eating might just be due to the baby afebrile due to the high fever.

Reactions: 1 user
Classic example of ovethinking a question.

HIGH fever, spreading rash, infant/ very young age - Roseola. Sometimes it is that simple

Reactions: 1 user
Kids less than 2 don't get strep throat. They can be colonized with strep, but they don't get the classic symptoms. Also, kids with fevers don't want to eat. This sounds very classic for roseola.

Reactions: 1 users