mola

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
hi,

i just finished my step 1 on Monday and although i'm scared that i might have failed it, i'm moving on to start a special rotation in NY. i called up my clinical adviser and he's given me the two options I've posted above: Mt. Vernon or Peninsula. He tells me that Peninsula is a DO hospital. So I'm leaning toward Mt. Vernon. But the rotations are different. Mt. Vernon is Int. med for 3 mos, while Peninsula is family for 6 weeks. Although I would be excited to start Mt. Vernon, I'm just hesitant to jump into it because it's so long. I mean, I will obviously get my step 1 score back in about 6 weeks, but if I failed it, that means I would have to start studying right away to take it again. But if i'm stuck with the 3 mos rotation, then I'm assuming I have to finish the rotation before I can get out of it. Any advice? :scared:

ALMD2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
my 2 cents, would be to go and do your int. medicine there. It is a good rotation, you will learn alot and alot of hands on medicine. It is not in the "city" but a bit north of it.

Try to stay away from DO rotations, just in case you want to practice in Pennsylvania. Don't close doors now....especially since you are just beginning.

don't think negative about your exam, you most probably passed. you have to think positive to get through your next 81 weeks of rotations!!!

Yes, i think 3 months is a long time, but you have to get through int. medicine which is 12 weeks, AND surgery which is also 12 weeks!

good luck,

A.

OP
M

mola

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
thanks for your 2 cents. i guess i'll have to just give it a go. :rolleyes:

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Everyone thinks they failed Step 1 right after they take it. Even the people who get 230+.

Mt. Vernon is a good place to do an IM core. I'd pick that over Peninsula.

Good luck starting your clinicals!

-Skip

OP
M

mola

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
so, i've decided to go to mt vernon, but how do i search for an apartment? The school gave me a phone number to some woman named Linda at Elton Hayes, but she NEVER PICKS UP the phone and i always get her voicemail. i've left two messages since the beginning of this month and she still has not returned my calls. i called her again today but was too frustrated to leave yet another message. What should I do??? Do I have to actually GO there to look for a place?

Quite frustrated....
mola :(

Cowboy DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2004
Wild West
Visit site
Status
ALMD2B said:
Try to stay away from DO rotations, just in case you want to practice in Pennsylvania. Don't close doors now....especially since you are just beginning.
You realize that makes no sense right? The OP is a ross student (MD) so the penn. thing doesn’t apply to him/her. It only applies to DO's who dont do a internship year, and even then its not a hard-fast rule. Plus we (DO students) have many rotations that are integrated with Suny Stony brook and Suny downstate, meaning that we do them together at the same time. This applies to ross also. Sorry I cant give you an opinion on either hospital since ive never rotated at either, but it seems you made your choice. I just wanted to clear up that inaccuracy. Also Im surprised you were limited to those two rotations, I know a lot of really great NYC rotations that a lot of NYCOM students share with allopathic students.

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
The Pennsylvania rule only requires that you do 72 weeks of ACGME rotations. I know a lot of people who rotated through DO programs in New York that had ACGME affiliations that it wasn't a problem for. If you do less than 72 weeks in ACGME institutions, you may have a problem getting a license. Otherwise, don't worry about it. And, as a Ross student, you will rotate side-by-side with a lot of DOs. And, that's a good thing.

-Skip

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2000
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Would you pick Mount Vernon over Sound Shore?
If so, what are the reasons?
thanks!

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Peeshee said:
Would you pick Mount Vernon over Sound Shore?
If so, what are the reasons?
thanks!
I am not familiar enough with Sound Shore hospital. So, I can't give you an opinion. Sorry.

-Skip

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status
Attending Physician
Cowboy DO said:
You realize that makes no sense right? The OP is a ross student (MD) so the penn. thing doesn’t apply to him/her. It only applies to DO's who dont do a internship year, and even then its not a hard-fast rule. Plus we (DO students) have many rotations that are integrated with Suny Stony brook and Suny downstate, meaning that we do them together at the same time. This applies to ross also. Sorry I cant give you an opinion on either hospital since ive never rotated at either, but it seems you made your choice. I just wanted to clear up that inaccuracy. Also Im surprised you were limited to those two rotations, I know a lot of really great NYC rotations that a lot of NYCOM students share with allopathic students.

Those are probably the only 2 rotations available at the present time.

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Shah_Patel_PT said:
Those are probably the only 2 rotations available at the present time.
I dunno. I rotated at various NY area hospitals with several different osteopathy students from NYCOM, PCOM, LECOM, and Touro. (FWIW, I also did some rotations with Cornell, Downstate, and Mt. Sinai students.)

-Skip