Ross Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msav59

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to Ross for January admission. I would greatly appreciate any first hand information that I can get on living in Dominica. It seems as everyone always post horror stories about the living conditions. Any information from Ross students would be appreciated. Thank you.
MSAV59

Members don't see this ad.

I just left dominica. I loved it there but some don't. All the students in dominica would agree that the education is great though. It just depends on the person as to whether they can live without starbucks (even though the bookstore is almost the equivalent). The apartments are the same as an apartment that you would live in while in college. The food there is good but you will be craving mcdonalds during your first semester. Just email me and i'll be glad to give you an honest answer to any question that you may have.

Don't believe the horror and hype. The horror stories you hear have probably come from students who just couldn't make it or didn't take it seriously. Or they have turned out to be 'Ross Rumors' that have magnified in size. As long as you go down there with the intention of studying hour heart out and doing great things, you will come out of Dominica with great things and great friends. The living conditions are not so bad, in fact, they are great and make you really thankful for all the luxury that we have in the US. I wish you the best in your future endeavors at Ross University.

I'm at Ross right now (currently just starting third semester). While the horror stories are usually exagerrated, I will tell you give you this general advice:

1) Live close to campus. The further you live from campus, the harder it is to get around by yourself. I live off of Lizard Trail and it's a short, guarded walk to campus. Others live across the street from campus as well as in PBH (Portsmouth Beach Hotel). You can live in Glanvillia or Portsmouth, which will definitely be cheaper, but it will cost you in convenience (and potentially safety).

2) Don't go around by yourself at night. I made this mistake in the fall during my first semester (late on a Friday night walking home from a friends by myself) and was robbed by four men at machete point. I'm not telling that story to try to scare or intimidate anyone, but this is a poor island. Some people are desperate for money and, especially around Christmas time, will target students who are perceived as being 'rich' with large amounts of cash on them and as easy targets (which they occasionally do and are). Anything over $20 EC down here (which is about $8 U.S.) is considered a lot of money to some people. Common sense and keeping your guard up is key. Most of the locals are very friendly and good to students, though.

3) Bring whatever you can with you that you absolutely cannot live without. You can get most groceries, but they are more expensive than the U.S. Customs will not charge you for non-perishable food when you bring it here, but they will charge you for electronics items (other than computer). Typically, there is a 70 lb. weight limit on American Eagle, but you can also fly Liat and bring in more stuff. A sufficient amount of contact solution is a must if you wear contacts (impossible to get here). Likewise, you can have people back home ship via AmeriJet (which I've done twice).

4) Don't expect to come here and goof off. This IS medical school, after all. All the people I know who've failed so far (which isn't many) did not take the program seriously enough. It's no one's fault but their own. If you have that mindset, you will surely fail. The horror stories you hear from other students are usually from those who failed out because they either were not mentally or emotionally prepared to be here or in medical school. This school will prepare you, but you have to give it your best shot and take it seriously. I have not been disappointed so far with the education I'm getting, and I've done very well on the NBME shelf exams at the end of each semester.

Everything else, you will have to experience for yourself. I totally agree that this place will make you, if nothing else, appreciate the U.S. even more. But, if you survive ( :wink: ), it will also make you a doctor. Go home over each break if you can. But, also come here with a positive attitude and with the mindset that you can make it if you work hard and stay focused. You will get the pre-clinical training you need here. After two semesters, I'm confident of that.

-Skip