Ross University Veterinary School May 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also applied for Fall 2015 and have not heard anything. Wishing everyone lots of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on January 8th in Cherry Hill NJ, still no word back yet but I thought that the interview went very well. My interviewer was extremely laid back and the entire interview seemed like a long and enjoyable conversation.

I interviewed on January 8th in Cherry Hill NJ, still no word back yet but I thought that the interview went very well. My interviewer was extremely laid back and the entire interview seemed like a long and enjoyable conversation.
Did you interview with John Nwafor? I had my interview with him in Cherry Hill on November 24 and wasn't accepted until January 7 (or sometime around that date) even though he said I would hear within 3-5 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you interview with John Nwafor? I had my interview with him in Cherry Hill on November 24 and wasn't accepted until January 7 (or sometime around that date) even though he said I would hear within 3-5 weeks.

Yes I did! Congratulations on being accepted! I hope I hear soon because the wait is making my crazy :)

Hey I'm just wondering if anyone has interviewed with Philip Jaroslow? He is based in WA. I have a Skype interview with him.

So whos officially going to Ross in May?

And are you still waiting to hear back from other schools (acceptance / waitlisted)?

I interviewed in Cherry Hill, NJ on January 16th and got the email I was accepted into the September 2015 class this past Friday (02/06/15)!

I interviewed in Cherry Hill, NJ on January 16th and got the email I was accepted into the September 2015 class this past Friday (02/06/15)!

Congratulations!!!

Reactions: 1 users

And are you still waiting to hear back from other schools (acceptance / waitlisted)?

got accepted for vet prep for may 2015...still waiting to hear back from 2 schools - one i interviewed at last week and one placed me on an interview wait list - so if those don't work out, i'll for sure be going to ross. but hoping to stay in the US if i can!

Hey I'm just wondering if anyone has interviewed with Philip Jaroslow? He is based in WA. I have a Skype interview with him.
I had mine with him. It was my first time having a Skype interview and my first vet school interview. It felt more like a conversation and it had been my favorite so far. He's very welcoming. Did you have your interview already? How did it go?

Yes I had mine with him a week ago. He was very nice. It did feel a little less like a conversation but I think that was because of my academics. I wish I had answered some of the questions a little different. I was just super nervous so I'm not sure how it went though he seemed to like the questions I asked him. Did you get accepted. How long after your interview before you heard?

Yes I had mine with him a week ago. He was very nice. It did feel a little less like a conversation but I think that was because of my academics. I wish I had answered some of the questions a little different. I was just super nervous so I'm not sure how it went though he seemed to like the questions I asked him. Did you get accepted. How long after your interview before you heard?
I did get accepted!:) I heard within a week of my interview, but that may have been because I interview back in November. Best of luck-I hope you hear good news!

I did get accepted!:) I heard within a week of my interview, but that may have been because I interview back in November. Best of luck-I hope you hear good news!
Congrats! Are you accepting their offer? Thanks. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody going to the New York informational session on April 11th? I would love to meet some of my potential classmates :D

I just paid my seat deposit for Ross in May! But I'm still waiting for LMU. Giving me anxiety because Ross starts in 2 months! :hungover:

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Are you accepting their offer? Thanks. Fingers crossed!
I am waiting to hear back from the last two schools I applied to/interviewed with, RVC and Western (as an alternate), but I've paid half of my deposit to Ross. As of right now I plan on going to Ross starting Sept. 2015! I am also going to the New student orientation/ meeting in L.A., California April 11th..anyone going to that?

I just paid my seat deposit for Ross in May! But I'm still waiting for LMU. Giving me anxiety because Ross starts in 2 months! :hungover:

I think I am officially going to Ross in May! lol

but yeah I was going through the same anxiety with Wisconsin!!! (but they rejected me :arghh:)

Is anybody going to the New York informational session on April 11th? I would love to meet some of my potential classmates :D
I was thinking about it but I have something else going on that weekend as well. I am trying to decide what is more important to me haha do you know if there will be more sessions over the summer?

I was thinking about it but I have something else going on that weekend as well. I am trying to decide what is more important to me haha do you know if there will be more sessions over the summer?

I am going to get more info about the school. It's right before the deposit is due so I am going to decide whether I want to go that weekend. I've put a lot of thought into it.

They supposedly have the info sessions before every term starts, so if you start in May this will be the last one, but if you start in September there should be another one in August I'd assume!

I have officially decided to attend Ross in May! So excited to begin the journey! And crazy that it starts in 6 weeks!!

P.S. just to double check, we are the class of 2018 right?

@AquaLady yay congrats!

Yes we are! Black semester c/o 2018

What dorm are you staying in?

@AquaLady right?! Lmao when I told my bf he was like.... why is it a depressing color lol

Im in woods!

What day are you going? Im going on the 25 at 11 am :happy:

@rd2vetmed That's awesome! Is it an efficiency? Mine is. I've never lived completely alone so I hope I don't get too lonely! I'll be there the 25th too but around 2:30pm. I'm leaving from Tampa, FL and have a layover in Atlanta before heading south. Where are you from?

@AquaLady same here! Ive never lived away for this long or alone either, so I completely understand you.

From Miami, FL :) I think I get there at around that time as well

I applied for the May class and got in the vet prep. Anyone have a flight in Atlanta at 10:30 on the 25th heading to st.kitts?

Congrats @ssoehnlen ! What time do you get to saint kitts? What dorm are you staying at?

Did you guys already do the packet? And send it in?

I applied for the May class and got in the vet prep. Anyone have a flight in Atlanta at 10:30 on the 25th heading to st.kitts?
Congrats on vet prep! If you don't mind me asking, when did you hear back for Vet prep? I applied for the September class and have not heard anything from the school since I submitted the VMCAS in October. Thanks! Best wishes!

I have not completed my packet yet but applied for the efficiency housing option. And 2:30 I believe

I heard back about a month after my interview, so I found out late December.

Same here I got the efficiency at woods hall

Hey everyone, I'm going to be heading to Ross on the 25th for the vetprep semester. Look forward to seeing you on the island!

So do you guys know what you are taking? How many luggage bags are you bringing? :soexcited:(~32 days to go!!!)

I'm bringing two checked suitcases, a carry on, a personal tote (fingers crossed they let me get away with that size) and my two dogs. You? I know people who had to ship some things but I don't think we have a luggage embargo for our trip

Same here, but i am thinking of shipping a barrel as well with the big stuff and stuffing it.

Hello future rossies! I'm a second semester here, and I love it. The island is not without it's quirks but the Ross community is great.

My advice is: don't overpack! There's lots of things you can get down here (almost anything you need) and upper semesters are ALWAYS selling stuff. I didn't believe it, but it's really true. IF you're an instant coffee fiend like me, I'd reccommend bringing that, and a few good water bottles. Also, if you can stuff a mattress pad in (I used a space bag - it can be done) try that...the dorm beds suck. Bring extra chargers too cuz those burn out like crazy here! If you have questions feel free to ask or PM me!

I might have to ship a box down but I don't think I'll need a barrel

Hello future rossies! I'm a second semester here, and I love it. The island is not without it's quirks but the Ross community is great.

My advice is: don't overpack! There's lots of things you can get down here (almost anything you need) and upper semesters are ALWAYS selling stuff. I didn't believe it, but it's really true. IF you're an instant coffee fiend like me, I'd reccommend bringing that, and a few good water bottles. Also, if you can stuff a mattress pad in (I used a space bag - it can be done) try that...the dorm beds suck. Bring extra chargers too cuz those burn out like crazy here! If you have questions feel free to ask or PM me!
Good to know! Thanks:) Are they twin sized beds?

Congrats to those accepted! The journey to this island will be totally worth it! Excited for you guys to be starting this may. Welcome ! :] if you have questions/concerns, you're more than welcome to message me.

Last edited:
IF anyone here has any questions about moving to Ross or the island, let me know! I attended for two semesters but had to withdraw for medical reasons (I am now reapplying to stateside schools) and can also help.

IF anyone here has any questions about moving to Ross or the island, let me know! I attended for two semesters but had to withdraw for medical reasons (I am now reapplying to stateside schools) and can also help.

Did you not like Ross or something??

I did in fact like Ross very much and withdrew with a 3.0 (passed my first semester with straight Bs and had two Bs, one A and a C+ my second semester). Unfortunately a few weeks into third semester a medical issue that could not be resolved on the island came up and instead of trying to wait it out, I chose to withdraw in good standing because my good grades would remain intact. Better to withdraw passing instead of fail and all that.

I chose to reapply to stateside schools only because of the inherent difficulty of obtaining medical care on the island. While resources exist, they are not always available (doctors can only be seen on week days, and usually only until 5 PM, and if there is an emergency the hospital may admit you but you may not see a doctor until the following day.) I also thought a clean slate would be best for starting over. I have no problems with Ross or the island.

Based on my experiences, though, I thought only applying to stateside schools would be best because even a medical emergency can sometimes be resolved overnight, whereas on St. Kitt's you may have to take a two week leave of absence for even relatively minor issues. Nice as the school is, its remote location can make it hard to deal with some things. I do not mean to scare anyone who's going there. For the most part you can get what you need. It just so happened I could not and decided it was no longer the best fit for me.

Sorry to double post, I want to emphasize that I did not leave Ross because I did not like it or because the island was hard to deal with. If I could have stayed I would.

I left entirely due to medical issues and have not reapplied there for the same reason (concern about being able to access timely care for my particular issue). I posted my experience because I wanted to help anyone going down there, not to dissuade anyone from attending. I recommend Ross and the island! It's an adjustment, but so is any new thing. If you have any questions about my particular circumstance I am happy to answer them, but again, I wish to emphasize I did NOT leave because I was unhappy with the school or experience in any way.

@BirdsinMyHouse what do you recommend taking on the first trip to make the adjusting to the island easier on us? thanks!

At least one extra outfit for sure. On my way down, my mom and I got stuck in Charlotte overnight (lost one outfit there, but we still had our luggage) and between St. Maarten and St. Kitt's (that's the route I took) LIAT did not bring my luggage, so outside of my spare clothes I had nothing. I know another girl (in clinicals now) whose entire family was without clothes for three days. Bring a spare outfit or two.

If you are on medication of any kind, bring a lot down with you. You can get prescriptions filled there but it can be time-consuming (doctors are only open on weekdays) and you may need a doctor's note to get meds in the mail (as in a St. Kitt's doctor's note). It's just easier to plan for longer and bring a bunch. The same is true for any particular feminine products, etc, you may need. You can get Hill's through the school and pedigree or purina (not sure which, I think pedigree) at grocery stores, but otherwise, if you have a certain brand of food your pets eat, bring it with you. Pet food is easier to get mailed to you than meds, but it can take a while to get there and shipping is expensive.

Air-tight containers (for pet food, or your food) are a good idea because if you leave anything out, the ants will come. Tiny, tiny ants. Lots. Also, a water filter is a good idea (you want the kind that can get giardia) since giardia etc is present in the tap water. The tap is mostly safe to drink, even without a filter (I drank straight from the tap, but I did get giardia once for like a week or so) but a filter makes life easier.

I dunno if you guys have heard\seen about the centipedes yet, but they're there. Huge centipedes that bite. They usually get into your house through the A\C unit (don't place beds beneath these units or they may drop down on you in the night) or plumbing (bathrooms, etc, check the shower before you get in it!) On the island you can get this stuff called BOP, but BOP is banned in the USA (or so I was told) and is quite strong. You're meant to leave the house for several hours after using it and the residue can be harmful to pets and kids. A good smashing shoe or book is better.

579683_10201012132964360_1843370679_n_zpsstfvdp4l.jpg