Ross VS RVC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaisyRiver

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been accepted to the 5 year program at RVC and to Ross (3.4yrs). Now I have to decide.

Ross is a lot cheaper but worried about the education I'd get.RVC is one of the worlds best and has gotten awards for teaching.

Got any advice? I don't want to have any regrets in my life. I want to be a really good vet and want to be prepared. I know your education is what you make of it but would it really make much of a difference if I went to Ross instead of RVC?

I am a bit older too (26) so at RVC I feel I'd be surrounded by 18 yr olds in the 5 yr program. Do a lot of mature students do the 5 yr??

Members don't see this ad.

I'll just past here basically what I wrote in the other person's thread who's considering RVC
I don't really have anything to add on the schools specifically, but I wanted to just talk about doing the 3.5 vs 5 year program. It's a whole year and a half of your life you'd still be in school. It's an extra year you're paying tuition. It's an extra year you're accumulating interest. It's also an extra year you're not out in practice making real money. If you're in the UK I'm not sure if you can even work during summer like you could here in the states so that's even more money lost/spent that you could be making if you stay here. It's an extra year where your free time is limited. Hope I gave you some useful things to think about.

The difference with Ross over Western U is that you'll get assigned to a teaching hospital. I urge you not to get hung up on teaching awards because that may not translate into how you learn. I do know the accelerated program at Ross can be difficult for some people. It's like doing vet school on challenge mode. I also know from what I've heard from a few people is it can be a different kind of difficult being older in the 5 year program. You're 26-had some life experience and all of a sudden you're back in high school again-literally. I know one vet I worked with went there for a rotation exchange and said it was hard even for that period of time just because there was such disconnect between them and how you're probably not in that party stage anymore, not going out and staying out super late, used to responsibility. My knowledge is from a limited perspective though so take it with what you will. I'm not really sure RVC vs Ross will get you more prepared for equine sports med. You learn all the basic things in your didactic and then clinical year you can spend more time on that if you want-remember Ross you'll get placed somewhere in the States for clinical rotation.

@PetVet7 they used to go to Ross I believe before they transferred so might be able to offer more insight on at least Ross.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know what the course structure/schedule is like at RVC is it like schools in the states/Canada being September-April? Or does it go later into May?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what the course structure/schedule is like at RVC is it like schools in the states/Canada being September-April? Or does it go later into May?
No clue. I know they do summer-because they have like certain places they have to go an complete things during their summer, but I don't know their specific schedule. I'm sure if you snoop around the main RVC site or maybe even the vet school site you could find a school calendar as I'm not aware of anyone attending RVC currently on here.

I’m a current 3rd semester Rossie and am happy to answer any questions. We’re AVMA accredited so the education is held to the same standards as the other AVMA accredited schools, including RVC. It’s just as rigorous as any other veterinary school. The hands on experience opportunities are pretty great. There’s stuff sprinkled throughout the different semesters. During your final semester on island before clinics you perform ~4 surgeries (large & small animal) and are also responsible for SOAPing patients throughout most of the semester (do rotations through equine, bovine, ovine, etc.). It’s basically like mini clinics before going to your clinical school. Like was mentioned above we partner primarily with schools that have teaching hospitals (although we did just add on LMU as an affiliate, so that’s an option if interested in the distributive model). There are a large variety of clinical schools both domestically and internationally (I personally know students that are at or are will soon be at RVC, UCD, and Edinburgh).

There are definitely pros and cons to an accelerated program, and to going to vet school internationally. I’m a little too exhausted tonight to write up a whole post but like I said, always happy to answer questions. Personally though I’m really happy with my decision to attend Ross and feel that I’m receiving a great education. Good luck with your decision :)

I went to Ross for four semesters before transferring. FutureFelineVet can probably better answer your school specific questions since it’s changed quite drastically since I left.

Ross is an accredited school. You’ll get a great education if you decide to go there. I always wondered if it was less of a school than others, but I feel just as knowledgable/prepared as my new classmates. I actually prefer some things about Ross over my new school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll just past here basically what I wrote in the other person's thread who's considering RVC
I don't really have anything to add on the schools specifically, but I wanted to just talk about doing the 3.5 vs 5 year program. It's a whole year and a half of your life you'd still be in school. It's an extra year you're paying tuition. It's an extra year you're accumulating interest. It's also an extra year you're not out in practice making real money. If you're in the UK I'm not sure if you can even work during summer like you could here in the states so that's even more money lost/spent that you could be making if you stay here. It's an extra year where your free time is limited. Hope I gave you some useful things to think about.

The difference with Ross over Western U is that you'll get assigned to a teaching hospital. I urge you not to get hung up on teaching awards because that may not translate into how you learn. I do know the accelerated program at Ross can be difficult for some people. It's like doing vet school on challenge mode. I also know from what I've heard from a few people is it can be a different kind of difficult being older in the 5 year program. You're 26-had some life experience and all of a sudden you're back in high school again-literally. I know one vet I worked with went there for a rotation exchange and said it was hard even for that period of time just because there was such disconnect between them and how you're probably not in that party stage anymore, not going out and staying out super late, used to responsibility. My knowledge is from a limited perspective though so take it with what you will. I'm not really sure RVC vs Ross will get you more prepared for equine sports med. You learn all the basic things in your didactic and then clinical year you can spend more time on that if you want-remember Ross you'll get placed somewhere in the States for clinical rotation.

@PetVet7 they used to go to Ross I believe before they transferred so might be able to offer more insight on at least Ross.

@DaisyRiver In my opinion, the accelerated aspect of Ross is one of the things that sold me. I like that I won't get the opportunity to be completely out of touch with my studies and focus. I noticed this would happen to me in undergrad with the long summer breaks and it was always a big hump for me to get in the zone again. In regards to clinicals, my best recommendation is looking into clinical schools that offer what you are looking into for better hands on opportunities.

So I've been accepted to the 5 year program at RVC and to Ross (3.4yrs). Now I have to decide.

Ross is a lot cheaper but worried about the education I'd get.RVC is one of the worlds best and has gotten awards for teaching.

Got any advice? I don't want to have any regrets in my life. I want to be a really good vet and want to be prepared. I know your education is what you make of it but would it really make much of a difference if I went to Ross instead of RVC?

I am a bit older too (26) so at RVC I feel I'd be surrounded by 18 yr olds in the 5 yr program. Do a lot of mature students do the 5 yr??
I am an older student at the U of Glasgow. If you want a better school life balance, go to RVC. If you are entertaining the thought of possibly working internationally, RVC over Ross. It is another year of tuition, but the exposure to what you want to do, equine medicine will be better in the UK