1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotating at MCP Hospital

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by wbd161, May 4, 2002.

1. wbd161

wbd161 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm doing an elective at MCP Hospital's Dept. of Surgery this May. You guys got any tips? I plan to stay in downtown Philly; what areas should I avoid?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. daveshnave

daveshnave Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are lots of areas to live in, but if I had to recommend where NOT to live I would say stay away from anywhere in North Philly... not a good area. Are you at MCP or at Hahnemann hospital? If you're at MCP, you can live downtown in Center City, which is nice, but you will be commuting to MCP each day. MCP is about 15 minutes north outside of Center City (downtown). If you're at Hahnemann hospital this is ideal, but as for MCP it's more on the suburban border... as I said about 15 minutes outside of Center City. However, there is a shuttle from Hahnemann hospital downtown to MCP, so even if you lived downtown you could take that, which is free, and not that long a commute. It comes down to this... if you're the type of person that likes living in an urban area, live in center city and take the shuttle. If you like living in (near) suburban areas outside of the rigamarole, live by MCP in East Falls/Roxborough/Manyunk area. If you are planning to live downtown I would recommend the area around Jefferson (10th? and Walnut). It's relatively cheap for Center City, and close enough where you are about 10-15 minutes walk of the Hahnemann shuttle stop. Good luck...

4. wbd161

wbd161 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the tips! From where and what time does the shuttle from hahnemann hospital leave? i'm planning to get an apartment as close to market street as possible- i love the feel of the concrete jungle and i don't mind commuting. where do the studes usually hang out?

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    McGillans & Irish Pub

6. daveshnave

daveshnave Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with JPHazelton... as for shuttle times, the Hahnemann shuttle downtown basically runs up to MCP (about a 15 minute drive) every half hour or so... there are slight variations, with it running more frequently in the morning, and less frequently at night, but every half hour is the standard... hope this helps. Best of luck and hope you enjoy your stay here in PHilly...