Rotation/Elective in UK/Spain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, next summer I get one month to do an elective anywhere I choose. I was thinking it would be interesting to do an elective in the UK perhaps in Ob/Gyn or if this was impossible look into options in Spain so I can practice my Spanish. To people who go to med school in the UK/Spain--have you ever had people from other countries do electives there? Would it be really difficult to get clearance? I'm studying at a Canadian institution although I'm a U.S. citizen. Also...where would I stay? A hotel? Sublet someone's apartment? Any tips/comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

jbish said:
So, next summer I get one month to do an elective anywhere I choose. I was thinking it would be interesting to do an elective in the UK perhaps in Ob/Gyn or if this was impossible look into options in Spain so I can practice my Spanish. To people who go to med school in the UK/Spain--have you ever had people from other countries do electives there? Would it be really difficult to get clearance? I'm studying at a Canadian institution although I'm a U.S. citizen. Also...where would I stay? A hotel? Sublet someone's apartment? Any tips/comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

For the UK see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=101927

Regarding housing, some elective places in the UK provide you with very basic low cost housing at a reasonable rate. Others do not, so you are on your own.

Good luck.

jbish said:
Plenty - I've seen 2 US students studying at Grenada in the last 4 weeks of my Psych rotation. Last year we had a student from India on our General Medicine rotation. I haven't done Obs & Gynae yet, so can't tell you, but I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

As far as housing goes, if you can come in the Summer, you will almost certainly be able to live in University Halls or crash in someone's room whilst they're on summer break. Choose your elective first and then you can work on organising accommodation!

I just joined the forum after reading this post. I'm an American citizen in my final year of med school in India. I'll be done with school in February, but I need to do a year of internship before I get my diploma. I recently spent a few days in Spain and fell in love with the country. So now I want to find out info about doing either all or part of my internship there. What schools are good to apply to? Who do I get in touch with? I'd love all the information and help I can get!

FionaS said:
Plenty - I've seen 2 US students studying at Grenada in the last 4 weeks of my Psych rotation. Last year we had a student from India on our General Medicine rotation. I haven't done Obs & Gynae yet, so can't tell you, but I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

As far as housing goes, if you can come in the Summer, you will almost certainly be able to live in University Halls or crash in someone's room whilst they're on summer break. Choose your elective first and then you can work on organising accommodation!