Rotation questions for HPSP students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparkplug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I have some question regarding military rotation. I'm NAVY HPSP medical student and I'm just wondering if you guys share some info for the following.
1. Do normally HPSP student do all their rotation at a military hospital or there is a limit?
2. If you are allowed to do your rotation in there, does the military will take care of your housing or what they do for you?
3. Again, if it is allowed, can you do all rotation in one location/hospital or you have to do it in different hospital?
4. What about when you rotate in a civilian hospital? I mean, as far as I know most rotations are like a month or two(sorry if I mistakened)..so..how one can handle the housing..do you need to rent a house for this short period of time and move? if so..can you normally get a rent for this short time or the school will arange it for you? ..sorry guys I am just to know how it works a head of time to prepare. I really appreciate for your info and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys I have some question regarding military rotation. I'm NAVY HPSP medical student and I'm just wondering if you guys share some info for the following.
1. Do normally HPSP student do all their rotation at a military hospital or there is a limit?

Most do the majority of their rotations at the civilian hospitals that their school is affiliated with. You will have two ADT periods in 3rd and 4th year that you should use to rotate at the military hospitals at which you are interested in doing your residency. Some schools will allow you to do extra months at military hospitals with which they already have training agreements. These extra rotations will be non active duty rotations that you will also need to set up on your own. As an example, my school has an agreement with Womack to take our 3rd year Army HPSP students for any of our core rotations, and they allow us up to 3 months at a military site per year. As a result, I'll be down there for the next two months (but not on active duty orders).

2. If you are allowed to do your rotation in there, does the military will take care of your housing or what they do for you?

For non-ADT rotations, you will have to set everything up yourself, and cover all costs yourself. For ADT rotations, the program will have someone that you are supposed to call to set up the logistics of your stay, and you are supposed to be reimbursed for your expenses (lodging, travel, etc).

3. Again, if it is allowed, can you do all rotation in one location/hospital or you have to do it in different hospital?

You cannot do your ADTs at the same hospital. You can schedule additional non-ADT rotations at the same hospitals, though. So, if you to Portsmouth for EM as an ADT, you cannot also go there for surgery as an ADT, but you should be able to go there for surgery as NADT.

4. What about when you rotate in a civilian hospital? I mean, as far as I know most rotations are like a month or two(sorry if I mistakened)..so..how one can handle the housing..do you need to rent a house for this short period of time and move? if so..can you normally get a rent for this short time or the school will arange it for you? ..sorry guys I am just to know how it works a head of time to prepare. I really appreciate for your info and thank you.

As far as civilian rotations, this varies by school. Most that I've had experience with keep their students in the same region, at least, for third year, but may have some distant rotations for a month or two. In this case, you can rent for a year, and sublet for whatever months you are farther away (or your school may have some housing deal available).

Thank you so much psychbender, it really helps!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You could if you can get the various rotations to accept you. You are only allowed 45 days of active duty time per year and the remainder would be on your own dime.

If you are on active duty - yes. When you are not - no.

Yes, you can do all your rotations at the same hospital but it is not advisable. You should try to do them at different hospitals to give you greater exposure.

That would depend on your med school. I did almost all of my rotations in med school in the same city.

I must differ slightly with psychbender.

That is interesting..but again..as a HPSP student, where we can get info for a question like this? Is there a point of contact at HPSP office or just the school. The thing am I asking this is my fiance' wants to move to me..you know..unless I have the opportunity to stay in the same area for a couple of clinical clearkship/rotations, I can't take her with me..if that is so, I have to leave her here and thus,we need to pay a house rent in two places and that is expensive..so, if this is the case, we have to delay her move. Thank you NAVYFP and PSYCHBENDER again.

That is interesting..but again..as a HPSP student, where we can get info for a question like this? Is there a point of contact at HPSP office or just the school. The thing am I asking thise is my fiance wants to move to me..you know..unless I have the opportunity to stay in the same area for a couple of clinical clearkship/rotations, I can't take her with me..if that is so, I have to leave her here and thus,we need to pay a house rent in two places and that is expensive..so, if this is the case, we have to delay her move. Thank you NAVYFP and PSYCHBENDER again.

How does your particular school do 3rd and 4th year rotations? Some places set your rotations up for you, and others make you set them up. My school uses a computerized system to set up rotations based on availability. Some places (like the Ohio core system) will set your whole 3rd year up GENERALLY in the same location. You will need to find out how your school does business. It is kind of hard for me to answer this question without knowing this. Most likely you will have to play by their rules for your 3rd year.

The HPSP people don't handle your rotations. They will only cut your orders for AT. If you want to do rotations at military locations, you will have to contact the program directors yourself to schedule them.

Clerkship Contacts:

NNMC Bethesda:

for NEURO, OTO, PSY, SUR and TRA: Ms. Karshan Allen, [email protected] or (301) 295-5457
for INT MED: Ms. Kathryn Bomysoad, [email protected] or (301) 295-5790
for OB/GYN: Ms. Penny Croyle, [email protected] or (301) 295-2048
for ORTHO: Ms. Alice Anderson, [email protected] or 301-319-4196
for PEDS: Ms. Monique Kinard, [email protected] or (301) 295-4898

Specific for Peds at Bethesda: Click on this link (http://www.nccpeds.com/applicants.htm) , scroll down to Student Electives And Sub-Internships (see chart that shows different subspecialty clerkships). Click on link to left of that chart and download the pdf fileCLINICAL CLERKSHIP ORIENTATION GUIDE. When you have read the pamphlet in detail and decided on a clerkship, e-mail Ms. Kinard with your request.

NMC Portsmouth:
Ms. Dottie Vexler, [email protected] or (757) 953-7371
Link for requesting a clerkship at Portsmouth: https://www-nmcp.mar.med.navy.mil/feedback/gme/gmeclerkrequest.asp .
Click on link, fill out on-line application and submit. Remember to take your curriculum vitae and photo for each interview along with a copy for the GME office. If you have ANY questions at all, call Dottie.

NMC San Diego: Mr.Jesus (Jesse) Lego [email protected] or (619) 532-9405
NAVHOSP Bremerton: Ms. Lina Mendiola, [email protected] or (360) 475-4339/4345
NAVHOSP Camp Lejeune: Ms. Rae Griggs, [email protected] or (910) 450-3138
NAVHOSP Camp Pendleton: Ms. Willa Moore, [email protected] or (760) 725-0406
NAVHOSP Jacksonville: Ms. Vicky Wolff, [email protected] or 904-542-7762.
NAVHOSP Pensacola: Ms. Barbara Hart, [email protected] or (850) 505-6472

Thank you SF49ers Fan. I will talk to the school and find out what is their rules. Thanks again.

That is interesting..but again..as a HPSP student, where we can get info for a question like this? Is there a point of contact at HPSP office or just the school. The thing am I asking this is my fiance' wants to move to me..you know..unless I have the opportunity to stay in the same area for a couple of clinical clearkship/rotations, I can't take her with me..if that is so, I have to leave her here and thus,we need to pay a house rent in two places and that is expensive..so, if this is the case, we have to delay her move. Thank you NAVYFP and PSYCHBENDER again.

Your contacts for all of these questions are [email protected] or you can e-mail the Associate Dean directly at [email protected].

Ok, I just have to ask since this has bothered me slightly ever since I first saw this. What in the world does 'OH' stand for, if anything? :hardy:

I asked and this is my understanding.

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when NMETC first formed the HPSP department was given the code OH. Codes are subsets of a command and allow for correspondence and such to be tracked. OA was Academics, OF was Fiscal, OG was Graduate programs and OH was HPSP. Hence OH.