Rotational Kinematics on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this on the MCAT? I remember it from my intro physics class, but it's not in Kaplan's books.

Members don't see this ad.

You pretty much just need to know:

- the linear/2D kinematics principles/formulas
- a=v^2/r (rotational velocity), circumference, and other basic circle equations of the sort

Maybe I'm diverting a little.... simple answer - most angular and rotational stuff seems to be centered around torque and equilibrium.

i think most prep materials i've read say that rotational problems will be discussed in a passage. however, you might want to know the basics like rotational moment of inertia, m=(i)(alpha), and so on... .but i don't think you need to know many specifics to rotational motion.
however, like the last post mentioned, rotational equilibrium is fair game. however that follows the same rules and translational equilibrium (net force equals zero, constant velocity, etc)

willthatsall said:
Is this on the MCAT? I remember it from my intro physics class, but it's not in Kaplan's books.

based on my experience, you don't even have to memorize the equation. in terms of the rotational equilibrium, you should understand it and how it is different from the translational one. other than those easy equations that they expect you to memorize, the physical section of the mcat really tests you on the concept and your test taking skills. good luck.