rotations and low blood sugar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparkle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still doing pre med courses but I have a question for those in rotations. I have borderline hypoglycemia. It seems to give me the most trouble when I don't get a full eight hours of rest. Has anyone had to deal with this during those grueling 48 hour on call periods? If so do you have any suggestions? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Old motto: Eat when you can, sleep when you can, urinate/BM when you can.

If this is seriously a problem, then you should carry around some food in your lab coat pocket, especially if you will be working/studying at a med centre without 24/7 food service. Crackers and cheese, cheese sticks, small boxes of raisins, etc. will all fit into your coat pocket and can be readily and rapidly eaten if you find yourself dropping. This is particularly important during surgical rotations when the hours, the stress and the standing can do in the most hardy of students.

You may find it hard to believe, but it is pretty rare IMHO to work extended hours without ANY time given to eat - I dunno about other specialties much, but there is a great deal of waiting around time in surgery, and ample time to sneak a snack if one is hungry. Don't believe the hype that its all 48 hour shifts with no sleep, no eats, no...

Hope this helps. :)

PS: because this is a topic for the Rotations and Residencies Forum, I'll move it for ya.

I have the exact same concern and can't offer any advice b/c I'll just be starting med school. I do know that I keep food with me costantly and really try hard not to eat a lot of refined sugar, etc. Staying hydrated and keeping food with me seems to work. Maybe it would be good for you to try to find what works for you before you get there. Stress also seems to make it worse for me - not a good sign for rotations, eh? :)
I really want to do medicine, and I know that means I may have to work a little bit harder at taking care of myself... Good luck.

I've kinda got the same problem, but it is because I don't eat breakfast :rolleyes: I've found the granola bars work really well. Just watch out for the ones with a lot of fat.