1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotations and Residencies...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by CaliforniaGirl, Jan 28, 2002.

1. CaliforniaGirl

10+ Year Member

I'm having a tough time getting a straight answer from Med School staff when I ask for clarification on something that was mentioned at a recent interview. The comment went something like... "Since you will most likely MATCH with a residency where you did one or more rotations..."

So now I'm wondering, how tough is it to get a residency where you have not previously rotated through? Here is a more specific senario: Attending Medical School on the East Coast, and therefore likely doing all rotations on the East Coast...but would like to come back to the West Coast for residency.

What do you guys think? :rolleyes:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AthensfromCols

7+ Year Member

The way I understand the whole residency/intern match procedure, it is just like applying for a traditional job. They will want letters of recommendation, strong background performances in 3rd and 4th year experiences, good grades/board scores, and a good interview from you. The only reason it is potentially easier to match at a hospital that you've rotated through already is that they have the opportunity to speak with your supervisors at their hospital for some first hand information about you. It's like volunteering at a company you'd like to work with someday in the future. They trust their own folk's recommendations better than someone who wrote a letter for you that they've never spoken to or met. It's not impossible if you have good qualifications. Just know that you are possibly at a slight disadvantage if you've never set foot in the hospital where you now hope to spend your every waking hours. A suggestion is to do a short (2, 4, 6, 8 week) elective rotation through the hospital you are looking to apply to during your 3rd or 4th year. Of course, you will need to be on your best behavior and dazzle them with your great knowledge and sharp clinical skills while you are there. That should be more than enough to give you the edge!

Good luck. I hope this helped.

4. CaliforniaGirl

10+ Year Member

Thanks! That makes sense and eases my mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm currently under the assumption that clinical rotations may be set up at hospitals that are not school affiliations with effort from the student and approval from the school.

5. AthensfromCols

7+ Year Member

I believe your assumption is correct. I'm sure the policy varies with schools, but my school allows us to do 8 weeks at any hospital or doctor's office outside of the state. The other rotations much be in state. They encourage us to pursue opportunities outside our assigned hospitals to get different perspectives on medicine.

Good luck!