Rotations at COMP: concerns about 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adismo

covered in moon dust
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to address rotations here at good ole WUHS.

If i can get input from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, that would be a tremendous help on top of the Rotations student comments page. I hope Im not the only one who doesnt understand this stuff. Here goes.

How do we choose our non block rotations?

Whats a good rotation to have first?

Which hospitals or preceptors are good for which rotations (OB, surg, IM, FP, etc)?

What do I need to know on the first day?

Is it true that some attendings/rotations dont give A's?

What did u think of the COMLEX I?

Because of the block system, i think COMP deserves a forum for the 3rd year. Please feel free to add questions or comments as you see fit. No bickering.
+pissed+

:D

Members don't see this ad.

adismo,

i thought you were listening in when I was talking to good 'ol Fuzz about rotations. I'll fill you in during class or something. I have a pretty good idea about rotations, but I'm sure some 3rd and 4th years have more to say.
It's kind of funny how you have to add in the "no bickering" at the end of your post...come on, we're not known for that, are we?:D :confused: :D

Actually, I've had a chance to talk to third and fourth years.. if you want we can chat sometime too although I bet Rob has heard quite a bit too. Talking to the OMM fellows helps a lot because they're usually available if you need to ask them questions and most of them have had a variety of experiences on rotations. Also, you occasionally see third years popping in and out of our school so don't forget to stop and ask how things are going for them..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I was recently accepted to the COMP class of 2007. My husband and I are trying to decide if we should move closer or stay in the Long Beach area, where the kids are currently going to school. My first instinct is to stay. I would only have to commute for 2 years, and from my understanding many of the hospitals available for rotations are in the Long Beach area. How can I find out exactly which hospitals are available for rotations?
Thanks

Hi everyone,

If you have any questions regarding rotations, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Also, it's probably best to get your answers from your class officers as they may know of any changes that have occured regarding the lottery. If you are still unclear, you may want to schedule another session with the Dean of Clinical Education to clear things up.

I can only speak of my rotations in San Diego (10 of my 11 are here) and I can say that they have been AWESOME.

Arnold Cuenca
MS-III

Adismo,

I'll do the next rotations panel whenever that is and I'll tell you about how the Arizona block went.

Eric

In order to answer your questions, you need to talk to the Clinical Rotations office. The assistant dean and the office personnel change the rotation schedule and requirements every year. Most of my classmates received the rotations that they requested during the lottery.

I'm a 4th year student at WUHS, and I can tell you that my rotation experiences have been good. I rotated thru Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Corona Regional Medical Center, Doctor's Hospital of Montclair, and spent a couple of months in Las Vegas, Ohio, and Michigan during the 4th year. By far, Arrowhead is the best place that I have been to. The teaching, pathology, and learning are the best that I have seen. I think we get a good clinical experience at WUHS.

As far as the Complex I, make sure you study the Step 1 and 2 books. The exam is very clinically oriented, and you need to read the study books for Step 2. Some of my classmates waited to take the exam at the end of the 3rd year in order to gain the clinical experience.