Rotations at Peninsula Hospital/St Johns Episcopal in Queens NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pooh727

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I just wanted to know if anyone has does gone to St Johns / Peninsula for 4rth year rotations like Ambulatory Medicine/ ER?
If so how are they in terms of teaching and hours? I would really appreciate it!
Long Beach apparently dropped those rotations!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I just wanted to know if anyone has does gone to St Johns / Peninsula for 4rth year rotations like Ambulatory Medicine/ ER?
If so how are they in terms of teaching and hours? I would really appreciate it!
Long Beach apparently dropped those rotations!

three things, each more complicated than the last

1) Generally speaking SJEH has a small emergency dept that is rich in psych patients. Its everything you would need in a strict sense, and everything under the sun except high level trauma comes in, but from what I hear peninsula has a much more active EM and would probably give you a better scope of things being seen and definitely brings you a higher patient load.

2) Peninsula is, generally speaking, a terrible hellish hospital from what I hear. This coming from someone at SJEH where we often joke that we're a 3rd world hospital (SJEH isnt actually that bad, but sometimes it feels like it). Students who switched from peninsula to SJEH always comment how its night and day better at SJEH. An attending who went over to peninsula to run their IM dept for a day (just as a fill in) said SJEH's worst interns are as smart as the best fellows at peninsula and the level of incompetence in the residents and fellows is jaw dropping. So maybe you should consider SJEH instead because you do have to interact with the other depts when in EM, and I wouldn't want to interact with peninsula's guys after the not-so-glowing reviews I keep hearing about their non-EM depts.

3) why does your profile say pre-med?

I was at SJEH for ONE WEEK about 5 years ago. I left since I didn't agree with the hospital being run like a NAZI concentration camp. Essentially all the patients are mentally challanged and the residents and students practice on them. Patients are there for months and months. Very very scary place. I have never had so many nurses and doctors scream in my face for no reason. No nice.

I don't think it's just the IM dept that has those issues. I've heard of the same thing in other departments... I'm surprised they can stay open with those conditions.