rotations in 4th year for DO in austin, texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if someone in a DO school for their 4th year electives can go to austin, texas for rotations??? Do hospitals there accept students for rotations?

thanks, i know this question is pretty out there and it probably hurts that I go to a DO school, but it is worth a shot...

Members don't see this ad.

Texas has a DO school in it so I doubt that there would be any problem....problems like that are few and far between around the country as a whole....

swiftly said:
Does anyone know if someone in a DO school for their 4th year electives can go to austin, texas for rotations??? Do hospitals there accept students for rotations?

thanks, i know this question is pretty out there and it probably hurts that I go to a DO school, but it is worth a shot...
I plan on doing a rotation in Austin my 4th year. While I dont know of any specifics yet I also haven't heard of any issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
swiftly said:

The nearest medical school to Austin is Texas A&M-Scott & White in Temple, TX. There are a very large number of DO's at this institution. Residents at this facility rotate through multiple hospitals in Austin, including Brackenridge. I would contact the Scott & White program for opportunities in the area or the specific hospital in Austin.

There should never be an issue with DO vs. MD in Texas.

OSUdoc08 said:
The nearest medical school to Austin is Texas A&M-Scott & White in Temple, TX. There are a very large number of DO's at this institution. Residents at this facility rotate through multiple hospitals in Austin, including Brackenridge. I would contact the Scott & White program for opportunities in the area or the specific hospital in Austin.

There should never be an issue with DO vs. MD in Texas.

Hmmm I go to TCOM...pretty sure S&W has no affiliation with Brackenridge in Austin....think that's an UTMB program. Anyway, S&W has pretty much every residency...here's their website: www.sw.org

tool said:
Hmmm I go to TCOM...pretty sure S&W has no affiliation with Brackenridge in Austin....think that's an UTMB program. Anyway, S&W has pretty much every residency...here's their website: www.sw.org

EM residents at TAMU-S&W do rotations at Brackenridge.

There are UTMB residencies at Brackenridge as well. I would suggest contacting UTMB or TAMU for information about rotations (or the hospital directly.)

http://www.seton.net/MedicalProfessionals/GraduateMedicalEducation/index.asp

This is the website for the austin programs. I was approved for both surgery and ob/gyn. They require that you have already done an inpatient rotation in which ever elective you are requesting. I didn't end up doing the rotations - it is a long story involving hurrucane katrina, but they were very nice. I have a friend who is a year ahead of me that did do a pediatrics rotation there and had a wonderful experience.