rotations in the states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theodore

Most kind beast around
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm a 5th year student in Hungary, and i'm intersted in taking some rotations in the States next year. The problem is that i have no info about the existing programms in the States. Does anyone know any good sources (books, sites etc) that would give me a start?
Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

You might want to start here:

http://services.aamc.org/eec/student.cfm

This is a comprehensive list of schools who provide visiting electives for students. You can revise your search by selecting criteria (you should select "international students") and it will list the schools that allow extramural clerkships.

Good luck!

-Skip

Most US medical schools have an internet web site. These will usually detail who is allowed to come for a visiting elective (ie, some schools accept no foreign students, some SAY they won't but do on a selective basis), what the process is and often include a down-loadable application.

Bear in mind that to do a rotation in the US you will need the following:

1) malpractice/liability/medical defense insurance which will cover you in North America. Some schools will provide it for you, but IMHO most US schools expect YOU (or your school) to do so.

2) health insurance covering you should you need medical attention in the US.

3) some schools require USMLE scores (generally only the state of New York)

4) you must be in good academic standing at your home institution

5) you must be able to pay for your living expenses while here in the US

6) most programs will not allow you to come for more than 8 weeks, although there are exceptions

7) you cannot do "Core rotations" - ie, General Pediatrics, General Surgery, IM, etc. which are undertaken at the 3rd (or second to last year) year level in the US; you can apply for final year electives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies. I m not clear on one thing, though. Which are the final year electives in the States?Here we have paediatrics, im, surgery, psychiatry, neurology, ob/gyn and one of our choice.

Theodore - the term "electives" implies that the student has a choice of what to take, so there isn't a typical rotation. However, most medical students take a final year rotation in General Medicine or Surgery and may have other required courses. Electives are saved for medical or surgical subspecialties, radiology, anesthesiology, etc. which may not be experienced during the core rotations. Students will also often use electives to "try out" a specialty.

Basically you are restricted from doing rotations in the Core specialties (ie, 3rd year Peds, IM, Surgery, Psychiatry) but can do subspecialties as well as what are called Acting Internships or Sub-Internships which are final year rotations.