SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

rotations outside of your school??

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Jessica, May 8, 2002.

1. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Baltimore
    Does anyone know whether one can do rotations at locations other than those that are traditionally offered??

For example, if I went to Harvard, could arrange to I do a rotation at a hospital in CA? (to be close to home for a few months or have the chance to check out a location that I might be interested in for residency?)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Carbon Klein

Carbon Klein Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Away electives/sub-Is are absolutely possible. Most people do it in their 4th year. It's usually 4 weeks long and you would apply up to 6 months in advance for a spot (which you usually get).

Many people (myself included) do visiting rotations to get letters from famous chairmans/attendings. Some also do it at hospitals that they're seriously considering...think of it as a 30 day interview! :)

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Chief Administrator Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    As long as you are in good academic standing, most programs will allow you to do rotations away during the 4th year. There are no guarantees of course, and some electives may be extremely popular and its "first come, first served" for the home school students, but you'll be placed in line for consideration for those. As Carbon Klein notes, lots of students use these as "Audition" rotations - usually during the summer/early fall of 4th year.

Best of luck.