rotations outside of your school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether one can do rotations at locations other than those that are traditionally offered??

For example, if I went to Harvard, could arrange to I do a rotation at a hospital in CA? (to be close to home for a few months or have the chance to check out a location that I might be interested in for residency?)

Members don't see this ad.

Away electives/sub-Is are absolutely possible. Most people do it in their 4th year. It's usually 4 weeks long and you would apply up to 6 months in advance for a spot (which you usually get).

Many people (myself included) do visiting rotations to get letters from famous chairmans/attendings. Some also do it at hospitals that they're seriously considering...think of it as a 30 day interview! :)

As long as you are in good academic standing, most programs will allow you to do rotations away during the 4th year. There are no guarantees of course, and some electives may be extremely popular and its "first come, first served" for the home school students, but you'll be placed in line for consideration for those. As Carbon Klein notes, lots of students use these as "Audition" rotations - usually during the summer/early fall of 4th year.

Best of luck.