rotations, the COVID, and competitive specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickjab1212

Reaction score
Sorry this is a throwaway, but I appreciate the advice.

Background: I attend a top 10, have ~7 derm papers (5-6 first author), and a couple non-derm middle authors. I'm just starting clinical rotations, will take Step 1 (likely p/f) next year. I should have strong letters in the field.

Due to the covid, some of our rotations have went p/f. I'm currently in one that is not however. I've been told I fit in extremely well and that I've been performing to the level of a great sub-I (the comments in my evals reflect this). But, I'm getting a mix of high and low eval scores. I'm not confident I'll make the cut-off for honors.

I don't get it, it's pretty frustrating. I know I'm doing well, so I'm going to just try to keep my head down and work on my weaknesses (which literally no one can tell me what those are).

Question: If I only manage to HP my clerkships that are graded (hypothetically no honors), will that create a challenge when applying for dermatology residency? Or should I be strategizing my eval scores better, such as setting expectations for what level I hope to perform at?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately yes, you do want Honors in most rotations to match well in Derm (or any other insanely competitive field).

The key for me was realizing that working harder or knowing more don't always determine eval scores. Who you ask largely determines eval scores. I find it a sad state of affairs bordering on unprofessionalism, but at least at my school, asking people ahead of you about which sites/evaluators to pick can swing your grade (usually by dodging someone who gives low scores). Hate the game not the players, I guess.

Reactions: 4 users
Unfortunately yes, you do want Honors in most rotations to match well in Derm (or any other insanely competitive field).

The key for me was realizing that working harder or knowing more don't always determine eval scores. Who you ask largely determines eval scores. I find it a sad state of affairs bordering on unprofessionalism, but at least at my school, asking people ahead of you about which sites/evaluators to pick can swing your grade (usually by dodging someone who gives low scores). Hate the game not the players, I guess.
Yeah you’re right. Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Also you'd be surprised at how many residents and attendings have no clue what the evals mean in relation to our grade. One resident spent an hour on the piece of paper that made no difference in our grade, thinking that was part of our eval

Also you'd be surprised at how many residents and attendings have no clue what the evals mean in relation to our grade. One resident spent an hour on the piece of paper that made no difference in our grade, thinking that was part of our eval
A big problem at my school was newbie evaluators who didn't know how inflated the system is. On my IM rotation, you had to be top 1/3rd for Honors. The average eval was 4.5/5. If you got some new resident coming in from a med school where giving 3s was normal, you were toast.

My school is currently considering whether to keep Pass/Fail beyond COVID, and I'm a big fan because of this kind of nonsense

Reactions: 1 user
A big problem at my school was newbie evaluators who didn't know how inflated the system is. On my IM rotation, you had to be top 1/3rd for Honors. The average eval was 4.5/5. If you got some new resident coming in from a med school where giving 3s was normal, you were toast.

My school is currently considering whether to keep Pass/Fail beyond COVID, and I'm a big fan because of this kind of nonsense
Haha that's insane. That's why a buddy of mine from a different school told me to always take time to explain how things are graded to the new residents. It can go a long way. I feel like maybe for clinical evals, pass/fail type thing could work, and you could leave the rest up to the shelf exam

It really feels out of my control at this point. I guess just keep working at it

Haha that's insane. That's why a buddy of mine from a different school told me to always take time to explain how things are graded to the new residents. It can go a long way. I feel like maybe for clinical evals, pass/fail type thing could work, and you could leave the rest up to the shelf exam
They explicitly told us it was a professionalism violation to discuss grading with evaluators and that they'd take it seriously. Still happens all the time of course.

• Haha
It really feels out of my control at this point
welcome to MS3 my friend, just wait until someone you thought really liked you puts the wrong name or just writes "good work keep reading" after a month together

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I wouldn't stress too much. I interview candidates for derm residency spots and I'll point out that schools are so different in how they grade/eval clerkships. Looking at one app to the next it is so hard to compare. We have also all been there and understand that some schools grade on 'curves' or have particularly tough grading rotations or have inflated grades.

Do your best to honor any derm rotations and your IM rotation, lesser extent surgery. Most derm rotations understand the game and if they are aware you are applying for derm, they will grade/comment in a way that lets us know. If you pass a derm rotation and the 'summary' of the eval is merely "they showed up and did ok on their end of rotation exam" then I question how good the candidate is.

The same can be said for letters. If a letter summed up basically says "I know this person, this is what they do" that's an indication to me that there may be some things to question. Most people really don't like having to write poor things about another person so lack of good comments is often an indication of something less than good they just don't want to say. You can see that if you ask for a letter from a rotation where you didn't shine, it's likely a double whammy (lackluster rotation eval and lackluster letter).

As long as you don't have any bad 'red flag' comments in any of your clerkship evals and do your best on derm rotations, I wouldn't stress yourself out too much about it.

Last edited:
welcome to MS3 my friend, just wait until someone you thought really liked you puts the wrong name or just writes "good work keep reading"
I wouldn't stress too much. I interview candidates for derm residency spots and I'll point out that schools are so different in how they grade/eval clerkships. Looking at one app to the next it is so hard to compare. We have also all been there and understand that some schools grade on 'curves' or have particularly tough grading rotations or have inflated grades.

Do your best to honor any derm rotations and your IM rotation, lesser extent surgery. Most derm rotations understand the game and if they are aware you are applying for derm, they will grade/comment in a way that lets us know. If you pass a derm rotation and the 'summary' of the eval is merely "they showed up and did ok on their end of rotation exam" then I question how good the candidate is.

The same can be said for letters. If a letter summed up basically says "I know this person, this is what they do" that's an indication to me that there may be some things to question. Most people really don't like having to write poor things about another person so lack of good comments is often an indication of something less than good they just don't want to say. You can see that if you ask for a letter from a rotation where you didn't shine, it's likely a double whammy (lackluster rotation eval and lackluster letter).

As long as you don't have any bad 'red flag' comments in any of your clerkship evals and do your best on derm rotations, I wouldn't stress yourself out too much about it.
Thank you for some reassurance! All my comments are exceptional so hopefully that helps. I’m not great at the politics of it, but I actually do a great job clinically and build strong relationships

Members don't see this ad :)

Man, grading has become so so watered down over the years. Honors means very little anymore.

When I was in medical school ( >10 years ago) the top 10% were eligible for Honors (because it was, you know, an honor) and even then there were still cutoffs (you could be top 10% and still miss honors if your grades were not above a certain threshold but this was rare).

And, we had to walk uphill in the snow both ways.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Man, grading has become so so watered down over the years. Honors means very little anymore.

When I was in medical school ( >10 years ago) the top 10% were eligible for Honors (because it was, you know, an honor) and even then there were still cutoffs (you could be top 10% and still miss honors if your grades were not above a certain threshold but this was rare).

7cdb1b68aafaf866ed500a82f4d18b41a0b2ceeb8ad5ae56ca97910e69048489_1.jpg

We have also all been there and understand that some schools grade on 'curves' or have particularly tough grading rotations or have inflated grades.
I'm curious: Which schools are known to be inflated? And which ones grade tough?

Blame it on overapplication which made everything a necessity. It's hard to view H as truly an honor when it's required.

I'm curious: Which schools are known to be inflated? And which ones grade tough?
I was making more of a general statement and not really thinking of specific schools. Just in general we know that if someone gets As in all their rotations and then suddenly gets a B- in psych, it could have been because psych at their school decided that they grade a certain way (like with a curve). It's not an automatic knee jerk reaction that the person is just not as good at psych.

I feel a lot of schools that use letter grades for rotations end up being a bit inflated. It takes time to look at the comments and other metrics the schools use to get a better sense of the applicant. Schools usually provide a general breakdown of grades for each rotation for whole cohorts so we can usually pick apart what could have happened with an outlier grade. Like if someone does get a B in psych there, but the schools information shows that the mean for that student's cohort lies in the upper C range, then we know that the B isn't all that bad in the context of their other grades (if the rest are As).

Last edited:
The system is messed up because a school that tries to generate a useful distribution and provide transparency (class ranks etc) does nothing but harm their students when the competition are getting Pass/Fail grades and MSPEs call everyone "exceptional" or "outstanding"

Better to do away with it altogether and make P/F the norm, than ruin half your students chances with deflated grading. At least, that's how I'd feel if I was at a deflating school

The underlined sentence here highlights the importance of communication of what your evaluation actually is which @efle and @quickjab1212 @Thesimplelifeofamyloid have already emphasized. The bolded may be true in the context you're using it in, but isn't necessarily as true as I thought it was as a medical student. When I was a medical student, I used to lament that residents/attendings don't understand how much our evaluations mean, etc. Now I can see it's more than that. Unless your attendings/residents are IMGs, most AMGs grading you actually know the stakes but still give you vanilla grades, etc. and I wanted to make a few points now from a former resident's perspective that may be helpful.

Reasons for this:
1.) Culture. It starts from the top with the organizational workflow and is reinforced by the attending. Some places and attendings regard medical students as a caricature or side show who're supposed to regurgitate step 1 minutiae. It's very hard as a resident to take a medical student under their wing and work against the established culture. Typically the most compassionate residents aren't the best ones either which then begs the question, why is Resident B breaking the mold and doing all this stuff for medical students when they can hardly do their own job?

2.) From the resident's perspective, I have observed that there is an approximate 80:20 split in performance where there's 80% of students who are nice enough, but mediocre. These are the types that ask what else they can do 2-3 times during the day and are mostly in the way and then somehow are absent when something actually shows up. Then there's that 20% that somehow know or anticipate what residents will struggle with and pitch in which wasn't me. These are the medical students we immediately latch onto and take under our wing.

3.) Evaluations are set up by your school poorly. There is such a thing as evaluation fatigue. As a resident, I just want one form with 10 likert score boxes with competencies with an open ended area where I can give my overall impression. Having boxes after each competency and likert score is an acceptable alternative. What makes it difficult is when the system deviates from this. Sometimes, there's some sort of patient attached to each evaluation. I'm not going to go digging into the EMR to retrospectively assess the performance of the medical student. If this happens to you, hand the resident a printed copy of whatever your work on that patient is and ask them if they can submit the eval but the end of a reasonable time period (ex. end of the week).

4.) There's a gross disconnect between the residency program and the clerkship director. Sadly, medical education is not always the priority or on the mind of the residency program director. On half the residency interviews I attended there was an emphasis on the so called "RAT" -Residents as Teachers that never panned out in real life. As residents, we don't actually have a session (or anything with regularity) where we meet with people above us and they tell us how to assess/evaluate medical students. One way to assess how good the connection between your residency and medical school is, is to look at the clerkship director and see how much residents respect him/her. If he or she is just a pushover or residents don't really know them, that's a sign the clerkship director's not really doing much to advocate for student education.

Things to do as a medical student:

1.) Be present. UWorld is not a priority during work hours. Rotations should have hours and you should follow them. If they're not explicitly stated, expect them to be resident hours. Now, that doesn't mean stay if the resident dismisses you but if the workflow isn't busy, don't try to ask "is there anything else I can do" before disappearing to the library or whatever. Stay where your resident can see you. There's a bajillion medical students who don't do this.

2.) This is easier said than done but don't ask the resident what you can do. Just watch what the resident does and do what they do the next time. Without stepping on toes, do the things they would have done. This level of proactivity is something students come in either having or not. Things I have noticed are those with prior life experience/jobs especially in the healthcare field usually latch onto this while the premed who went straight through (used to be me) were more dependent on being told what to do.

3.) When we ask questions, we're doing it for the same reason UWorld is doing it. When you get a UWorld question right, you don't disregard the block of text that follows. Similarly when we ask a question, sometimes students (including myself) saw it as a power trip or pimp and focused their energy on getting the question right and ignore the explanation. Some get defensive to and try to explain why they gave a different answer when we're just trying to teach a clinical pearl.

4.) Direct the resident's attention to what part of the evaluation needs to be completed just like @efle and @Thesimplelifeofamyloid point out. I remember an orientation where we were given a syllabi that on one page had a screenshot of the evaluation page as well as what each benchmark meant and someone in my med student cohort lied to a resident that "we were required to show them that page" which I thought was ludicrous at first but it was effective and now I can at least see the sentiment behind their action. As residents, we sometimes don't know which form means what. At my residency, there were two evaluations generated and one counts for very little while the other counts for nothing. We did not have any sessions where faculty came in to tell us what the medical students expectations/grading was like which would have been helpful. If your school is one that asks residents to assess the competency of a medical student on a particular patient, print out your work for that patient and ask the resident to submit an evaluation on that within etc. time period (end of the week).

--
I didn't write this to point a finger at medical students or stand on a soapbox but to inform students about the reality of the situation. I'm someone who loves to mentor and give medical students the feedback/evaluations they deserve but I just wanted to educate ya'll about some of the hesitances/barriers from the resident's perspective.

Also, students sometimes lament about why they were given average marks in the likert score portion but outstanding superlatives. At least from my perspective, it was because they student was truly average clinically but put in a lot of work so I tried to highlight those positives while trying to be fair and stick the my internal grading scale. I used to be one of those people who just gave straight 5s but after my experiences, I feel it's honestly best to give the honest evaluation to the student. The one thing I don't include in evaluations are editorials on why a student isn't good. If a student is not exceptional, I just mark them that way and prefer not to give school admins/clerkship directors more fuel for a fire to speculate about things that aren't their business. I will, however, make that my honest impression clear to the student before they're done rotating.

Though I didn't address it, @efle 's take that it's "who you ask" more than "how you do" sadly isn't far from the truth. There are clerkship directors or sometimes a committee who discuss each honor or failing clerkship grade at each school to combat grade inflation but most times asking the right resident is the easiest path to success.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The system is messed up because a school that tries to generate a useful distribution and provide transparency (class ranks etc) does nothing but harm their students when the competition are getting Pass/Fail grades and MSPEs call everyone "exceptional" or "outstanding"

Better to do away with it altogether and make P/F the norm, than ruin half your students chances with deflated grading. At least, that's how I'd feel if I was at a deflating school

Problem is also though that the caliber of students at one school may be different than others. So come residency time, a P at one school would be an HP at another etc.

Clerkship grades never made much sense to me either frankly. In a few I worked my ass off and got HP. In a few I coasted and got Honors. So yeah.

Can you guys predict me?
NBME: 66/79/79/75, bolded w/in 3 weeks of the test. My medicine shelf is next week!

The underlined sentence here highlights the importance of communication of what your evaluation actually is which @efle and @quickjab1212 @Thesimplelifeofamyloid have already emphasized. The bolded may be true in the context you're using it in, but isn't necessarily as true as I thought it was as a medical student. When I was a medical student, I used to lament that residents/attendings don't understand how much our evaluations mean, etc. Now I can see it's more than that. Unless your attendings/residents are IMGs, most AMGs grading you actually know the stakes but still give you vanilla grades, etc. and I wanted to make a few points now from a former resident's perspective that may be helpful.

Reasons for this:
1.) Culture. It starts from the top with the organizational workflow and is reinforced by the attending. Some places and attendings regard medical students as a caricature or side show who're supposed to regurgitate step 1 minutiae. It's very hard as a resident to take a medical student under their wing and work against the established culture. Typically the most compassionate residents aren't the best ones either which then begs the question, why is Resident B breaking the mold and doing all this stuff for medical students when they can hardly do their own job?

2.) From the resident's perspective, I have observed that there is an approximate 80:20 split in performance where there's 80% of students who are nice enough, but mediocre. These are the types that ask what else they can do 2-3 times during the day and are mostly in the way and then somehow are absent when something actually shows up. Then there's that 20% that somehow know or anticipate what residents will struggle with and pitch in which wasn't me. These are the medical students we immediately latch onto and take under our wing.

3.) Evaluations are set up by your school poorly. There is such a thing as evaluation fatigue. As a resident, I just want one form with 10 likert score boxes with competencies with an open ended area where I can give my overall impression. Having boxes after each competency and likert score is an acceptable alternative. What makes it difficult is when the system deviates from this. Sometimes, there's some sort of patient attached to each evaluation. I'm not going to go digging into the EMR to retrospectively assess the performance of the medical student. If this happens to you, hand the resident a printed copy of whatever your work on that patient is and ask them if they can submit the eval but the end of a reasonable time period (ex. end of the week).

4.) There's a gross disconnect between the residency program and the clerkship director. Sadly, medical education is not always the priority or on the mind of the residency program director. On half the residency interviews I attended there was an emphasis on the so called "RAT" -Residents as Teachers that never panned out in real life. As residents, we don't actually have a session (or anything with regularity) where we meet with people above us and they tell us how to assess/evaluate medical students. One way to assess how good the connection between your residency and medical school is, is to look at the clerkship director and see how much residents respect him/her. If he or she is just a pushover or residents don't really know them, that's a sign the clerkship director's not really doing much to advocate for student education.

Things to do as a medical student:

1.) Be present. UWorld is not a priority during work hours. Rotations should have hours and you should follow them. If they're not explicitly stated, expect them to be resident hours. Now, that doesn't mean stay if the resident dismisses you but if the workflow isn't busy, don't try to ask "is there anything else I can do" before disappearing to the library or whatever. Stay where your resident can see you. There's a bajillion medical students who don't do this.

2.) This is easier said than done but don't ask the resident what you can do. Just watch what the resident does and do what they do the next time. Without stepping on toes, do the things they would have done. This level of proactivity is something students come in either having or not. Things I have noticed are those with prior life experience/jobs especially in the healthcare field usually latch onto this while the premed who went straight through (used to be me) were more dependent on being told what to do.

3.) When we ask questions, we're doing it for the same reason UWorld is doing it. When you get a UWorld question right, you don't disregard the block of text that follows. Similarly when we ask a question, sometimes students (including myself) saw it as a power trip or pimp and focused their energy on getting the question right and ignore the explanation. Some get defensive to and try to explain why they gave a different answer when we're just trying to teach a clinical pearl.

4.) Direct the resident's attention to what part of the evaluation needs to be completed just like @efle and @Thesimplelifeofamyloid point out. I remember an orientation where we were given a syllabi that on one page had a screenshot of the evaluation page as well as what each benchmark meant and someone in my med student cohort lied to a resident that "we were required to show them that page" which I thought was ludicrous at first but it was effective and now I can at least see the sentiment behind their action. As residents, we sometimes don't know which form means what. At my residency, there were two evaluations generated and one counts for very little while the other counts for nothing. We did not have any sessions where faculty came in to tell us what the medical students expectations/grading was like which would have been helpful. If your school is one that asks residents to assess the competency of a medical student on a particular patient, print out your work for that patient and ask the resident to submit an evaluation on that within etc. time period (end of the week).

--
I didn't write this to point a finger at medical students or stand on a soapbox but to inform students about the reality of the situation. I'm someone who loves to mentor and give medical students the feedback/evaluations they deserve but I just wanted to educate ya'll about some of the hesitances/barriers from the resident's perspective.

Also, students sometimes lament about why they were given average marks in the likert score portion but outstanding superlatives. At least from my perspective, it was because they student was truly average clinically but put in a lot of work so I tried to highlight those positives while trying to be fair and stick the my internal grading scale. I used to be one of those people who just gave straight 5s but after my experiences, I feel it's honestly best to give the honest evaluation to the student. The one thing I don't include in evaluations are editorials on why a student isn't good. If a student is not exceptional, I just mark them that way and prefer not to give school admins/clerkship directors more fuel for a fire to speculate about things that aren't their business. I will, however, make that my honest impression clear to the student before they're done rotating.

Though I didn't address it, @efle 's take that it's "who you ask" more than "how you do" sadly isn't far from the truth. There are clerkship directors or sometimes a committee who discuss each honor or failing clerkship grade at each school to combat grade inflation but most times asking the right resident is the easiest path to success.
can you expand on the proactive part? Or just give examples? The only thing I can think that applied during my clerkships was doing a rapid strep test when indicated, submitting routine peds wvc orders.

can you expand on the proactive part? Or just give examples? The only thing I can think that applied during my clerkships was doing a rapid strep test when indicated, submitting routine peds wvc orders.
get numbers like drain output, labs, vitals, etc.

when the team runs the list, write down things that need to be done and figure out which ones can be done independently. like calling other services, changing dressings (service dependent), removing sutures (check with someone first), harassing CT/MRI to get scans done, gathering supplies for procedures, communicating with nurses, social work, etc.

1.) The first step have the mentality that you should not be doing anything besides patient care on rounds.

2.) When you have a patient you should forget the fact that you’re a medical student who’s learnt all these pathologies. 99% of that is kind of useless now. Try to understand why they’re in the hospital and what is keeping them from getting out. All of the following should be reviewed daily on each patient.

-medications scheduled to be administered today
-consults recommendations
-procedures if scheduled
-complete/work on discharge paperwork
-labs

Make a plan.

Some things to avoid while trying to be proactive:
Additionally try not to be a middle man between the nurse and the resident. It will inevitably get you in trouble. If a nurse says something, mention it once to the resident but don’t accept the role of the person going back and forth. Additionally, don’t discuss with the patient anything speculative that has not already been discussed as by the attending. I can’t tell you how many times medical students on consult teams say things to patients and then we as the primary team come and hear from the patient someone told them they may need dialysis (as an example) which was told to them from another doctor...and it turns out it was a medical student enthusiastic to explain what dialysis is to the patient.

Last edited:
1.) The first step have the mentality that you should not be doing anything besides patient care on rounds.

2.) When you have a patient you should forget the fact that you’re a medical student who’s learnt all these pathologies. 99% of that is kind of useless now. Try to understand why they’re in the hospital and what is keeping them from getting out. All of the following should be reviewed daily on each patient.

-medications scheduled to be administered today
-consults recommendations
-procedures if scheduled
-complete/work on discharge paperwork

Some things to avoid while trying to be proactive:
Additionally try not to be a middle man between the nurse and the resident. It will inevitably get you in trouble. If a nurse says something, mention it once to the resident but don’t accept the role of the person going back and forth. Additionally, don’t discuss with the patient anything speculative that has not already been discussed as an attending. I can’t tell you how many times medical students on consult teams say things to patients and then we as the primary come and hear from the patient someone told them they may need dialysis (as an example example) which was told to them from another doctor...and it turns out it was a medical student enthusiastic to explain what dialysis to the patient.
Thanks. It seems simple enough but a little worried I will come off as overzealous or just stumble a lot. Better than seeming uninterested or lazy though I suppose

Sorry this is a throwaway, but I appreciate the advice.

Background: I attend a top 10, have ~7 derm papers (5-6 first author), and a couple non-derm middle authors. I'm just starting clinical rotations, will take Step 1 (likely p/f) next year. I should have strong letters in the field.

Due to the covid, some of our rotations have went p/f. I'm currently in one that is not however. I've been told I fit in extremely well and that I've been performing to the level of a great sub-I (the comments in my evals reflect this). But, I'm getting a mix of high and low eval scores. I'm not confident I'll make the cut-off for honors.

I don't get it, it's pretty frustrating. I know I'm doing well, so I'm going to just try to keep my head down and work on my weaknesses (which literally no one can tell me what those are).

Question: If I only manage to HP my clerkships that are graded (hypothetically no honors), will that create a challenge when applying for dermatology residency? Or should I be strategizing my eval scores better, such as setting expectations for what level I hope to perform at?
Take Step 1 before it goes to pass/fail and break 260. Sounds like you're smart enough.

Thanks. It seems simple enough but a little worried I will come off as overzealous or just stumble a lot. Better than seeming uninterested or lazy though I suppose
I received great feedback and think that you should show interest and go out of your way to take ownership of your patients. Attend their procedures if possible (major ones), update family, develop a relationship with them with emphasis on their mental well-being (this is something we can spend time on since we have so much time), be very thorough yet focused with each AM physical exam (catch those small those small things that can turn into big things like a rash or urinary retention), read up on your patients dx and add EBM to A&P where appropriate and when there is time. Read the room, some attendings will like certain things, figure this out early (presentation details, style, order). Be extra and memorize their one-liner/ assessment, which will mostly remain the same each morning, then add the updates (s/p procedure, found to have x by culture, 5th day on zosyn/vanc). Also, during AM round take quick notes on updates for the other patients on the team so that you can also help with tasks for them, communicate with the team and nurses about them, or add your thoughts / ask questions during rounds.
Importantly, do these things and be an all star with tact. When you accomplish a task, or do something great for a patient, you can tell your resident / attending so they know when they evaluate you, but do it skillfully. You want to show that you are doing these things for your own learning and your patients, not just for accolades and the 5/5 evals.