All Branch Topic (ABT) ROTC+ Ed Delay Pay? O3 with 4 years service?

Sep 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I am a new intern 2 months into residency. I did ROTC and went straight to med school with an ed delay (IRR status, non-HPSP). I have heard different things about whether or not I should be getting paid as an O3 with 0 years vs. 4 years of service since I paid my own way through med school. I am currently being told I will get O3 with 0 years pay

Can anybody provide any actual Army/Finance regulations that would support my claim for for getting paid as an O3 with 4 years? I have talked to people in the finance department at Ft. Sam and tried submitting at 1506 with my IRR time on it, but they say it will not count towards pay.

Please help! I do not want to miss out on 15k/year because I don't have the right evidence to back up my case

colbgw02

Delightfully Tacky
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
By the guy with the thing at the place
Status
Attending Physician
I researched this a couple of years ago to find the regulation. It wasn't easy to wade through the beaurocratese, and, unfortunately, I don't remember what it is off-hand. However, I might have posted it if you care to search the forum.

I don't think they've changed the reg, so the bottom line is that yes, you should be getting paid as an O3 over 4. It's not surprising that your local finance people don't know this, so it will take diligence and patience on your part. Eventually, it will get fixed and you'll get back pay. In retrospect, what is surprising is that I had relatively little trouble with this when I was an intern.

Reactions: Apollyon
OP
V
Sep 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I researched this a couple of years ago to find the regulation. It wasn't easy to wade through the beaurocratese, and, unfortunately, I don't remember what it is off-hand. However, I might have posted it if you care to search the forum.

I don't think they've changed the reg, so the bottom line is that yes, you should be getting paid as an O3 over 4. It's not surprising that your local finance people don't know this, so it will take diligence and patience on your part. Eventually, it will get fixed and you'll get back pay. In retrospect, what is surprising is that I had relatively little trouble with this when I was an intern.
Did you do any drill prior to starting med school? The line they're feeding me now is that if I had drilled I would have received credited time.

Helpful Troll

2+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2016
Status
Non-Student
VArmyMed - - Read this.... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rotc-ed-delay-and-pay.1084319/ If you paid for Med School without financial assistance from the Army you should be credited with the 4 years for pay only...not retirement or calculation of Health Provider benefits.

What is your PEBD? Is it your original commissioning date? It should be. Did you submit the 1506?

DoD Financial Management Regulation 7000.14-R, volume 7A, chapter 1: is the relevant guidance. MilkandCookies gave a good list of actions and tasks to take to correct this in the link above.

Cooperd0g

Something witty goes here.
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, over 4 should be the case. Since you were in the IRR, that time counts for longevity.

OP
V
Sep 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
VArmyMed - - Read this.... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rotc-ed-delay-and-pay.1084319/ If you paid for Med School without financial assistance from the Army you should be credited with the 4 years for pay only...not retirement or calculation of Health Provider benefits.

What is your PEBD? Is it your original commissioning date? It should be. Did you submit the 1506?

DoD Financial Management Regulation 7000.14-R, volume 7A, chapter 1: is the relevant guidance. MilkandCookies gave a good list of actions and tasks to take to correct this in the link above.
I submitted at 1506 with my commission date, but they essentially rejected it saying that my time on IRR didn't count. To make matters more frustrating I am on active doing doing my residency training in Georgia, but I report to/am controlled by the ASD (AMEDD Stu Det) in San Antonio. This makes it a little difficult to go physically bang on somebody's door and they are awfully good at dodging my emails and phone calls.

colbgw02

Delightfully Tacky
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
By the guy with the thing at the place
Status
Attending Physician
The relevant information document that you need is DoD Instruction 6000.13. You can find it on Google. There have been some changes to it recently, so I would make sure you wade through it first.

Cooperd0g

Something witty goes here.
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Status
Attending Physician
The good news is once you do get it fixed you'll get a nice paycheck!