ROTC Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddetwiler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in high school. I want to be a doctor in the Army. Since college is expensive, I planned on joining ROTC to get a scholarship. I have a few questions:
  • Would you recommend doing this?
  • What do I owe to the army if I do this? Like how many years of service and such.
  • Does ROTC also pay for med school?
  • Will I be able to live at home after college is over since I will be for med and not as a soldier? Since I'd like to get married and such after college.
I definitely want to be in the army, and I definitely want to be a doctor. So is this what I should do? Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a senior in high school. I want to be a doctor in the Army. Since college is expensive, I planned on joining ROTC to get a scholarship. I have a few questions:
  • Would you recommend doing this?
  • What do I owe to the army if I do this? Like how many years of service and such.
  • Does ROTC also pay for med school?
  • Will I be able to live at home after college is over since I will be for med and not as a soldier? Since I'd like to get married and such after college.
I definitely want to be in the army, and I definitely want to be a doctor. So is this what I should do? Thanks for your time.

This has been discussed extensively on this forum. I recommend a search.

To answer your specific questions:
1. No. You have to decide if your primary goal is to be a doctor. If it is, then wait until you're accepted into med school and the military will be throwing money at you. If your primary goal is be an officer in the Army, then consider going ahead and doing ROTC. But realize that ROTC may inhibit your medical career.

2. You would owe four active duty years for ROTC. However, in the best case scenario you won't actually start paying the army back for those four years until you finished residency. And that is the best case scenario. So if you're lucky, in approximately 12 years you will finally start paying off your "four year" commitment, and 16 years later you'll be free again. The military will literally own you for this entire time. There are several pitfalls and caveats that may prevent you from progressing straight through your training and career. Given how long and difficult a physician's training is, it's risky to relinquish control of it (especially with the military).

3. No, you'll have to then do HPSP if you want the military to pay for med school. That would add an additional four years commitment, which would pretty much mean you're staying in for 20. Sure you're ready for that kind of commitment?

4. Yes, assuming that you get into medical school and get granted an ed-delay (or HPSP). Neither is guaranteed. It's also possible (but unlikely) that you could end up stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Thank you! Are there other scholarships I could get that wouldn't require me to serve for that long then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok this is coming from experience. I am currently a Junior in college. I applied and received the Army ROTC 4-year scholarship my senior year of high school. My family is far from wealthy and I thought having this scholarship would be perfect. I was wrong, and boy was I ever wrong. If I could go back in time and never except the scholarship I would probably do that and do a direct commission from medical school, assuming many things...Anyways, I started off as pre-med and I still consider myself pre-med, however I had no clue how much work ROTC was going to take. Your first and second year are not too bad. You do not have much responsibilities, but your 3rd year is extremely frustrating. As an MS3 you and your fellow 3's run everything. You are essentially the NCO's of the rotc corps. It is a ton of work, and since my freshman year I have also been heavily involved in music, more specifically marching band (played snare in the drumline). Between band and rotc the time left for me to study for all my science classes was minimal. I have been struggling all year with my grades. I have 2 classes that I now have to retake, and my GPA is not good. Plus, ROTC forced me to change my major from being Biology-health emphasis, with minor in military studies to a lame General Studies major so that I could make Cadet Command happy and graduate in 2013, even though I had stated since my freshman year that my path was going to have me graduating spring of 2014. Needless to say, because I had to cut off a year I will no longer be prepared enough to do well on the MCAT and apply to Medical School, to be a MD or DO. I am just praying now to get a Med Service slot and go Army Reserves so I can go back to school.

Now there are some really great things about ROTC. I have gained skills in leadership. I have stayed fit. Plus I have been given the opportunity to experience the culture in 2 different countries through the ROTC Cultural Understanding and Learning Program. I have also gained friends that I know have my back and I can trust with my life.

Just understand that ROTC is not all fun and games. There are physical fitness standards you must meet. If you have the scholarship there are also GPA requirements you must meet, which is pretty easy. And you have to be able to put up with a lot of crap. And be able to be impeccable at time management. Also as a female you will have to put of with your fair share of discrimination. It happens.

As far as what you have to "pay back" with the 4-year scholarship it is an 8 year commitment, that assuming you make it to med school straight out of college, you will NOT start those 8 years until med school is over. Plus if you get the HPSP scholarship you will add atleast another 6 years of commitment which you will start paying back during your residency.

ROTC will not pay for medical school. They pay for undergraduate and depending on your school, they will only pay for either room and board or tuition. Not both. Currently my scholarship pays for tuition, plus I receive a monthly stipend and money for books each semester.

As far as living at home, you should be able to while in medical school. Also you Will be a soldier while in medical school. A commissioned officer (2nd Lieutenant) to be more specific. If you receive a National Guard or Army Reserve slot upon commissioning you will have to to go to drill once a month, even during medical school.

Ok this is coming from experience. I am currently a Junior in college. I applied and received the Army ROTC 4-year scholarship my senior year of high school. My family is far from wealthy and I thought having this scholarship would be perfect. I was wrong, and boy was I ever wrong. If I could go back in time and never except the scholarship I would probably do that and do a direct commission from medical school, assuming many things...Anyways, I started off as pre-med and I still consider myself pre-med, however I had no clue how much work ROTC was going to take. Your first and second year are not too bad. You do not have much responsibilities, but your 3rd year is extremely frustrating. As an MS3 you and your fellow 3's run everything. You are essentially the NCO's of the rotc corps. It is a ton of work, and since my freshman year I have also been heavily involved in music, more specifically marching band (played snare in the drumline). Between band and rotc the time left for me to study for all my science classes was minimal. I have been struggling all year with my grades. I have 2 classes that I now have to retake, and my GPA is not good. Plus, ROTC forced me to change my major from being Biology-health emphasis, with minor in military studies to a lame General Studies major so that I could make Cadet Command happy and graduate in 2013, even though I had stated since my freshman year that my path was going to have me graduating spring of 2014. Needless to say, because I had to cut off a year I will no longer be prepared enough to do well on the MCAT and apply to Medical School, to be a MD or DO. I am just praying now to get a Med Service slot and go Army Reserves so I can go back to school.

Now there are some really great things about ROTC. I have gained skills in leadership. I have stayed fit. Plus I have been given the opportunity to experience the culture in 2 different countries through the ROTC Cultural Understanding and Learning Program. I have also gained friends that I know have my back and I can trust with my life.

Just understand that ROTC is not all fun and games. There are physical fitness standards you must meet. If you have the scholarship there are also GPA requirements you must meet, which is pretty easy. And you have to be able to put up with a lot of crap. And be able to be impeccable at time management. Also as a female you will have to put of with your fair share of discrimination. It happens.

As far as what you have to "pay back" with the 4-year scholarship it is an 8 year commitment, that assuming you make it to med school straight out of college, you will NOT start those 8 years until med school is over. Plus if you get the HPSP scholarship you will add atleast another 6 years of commitment which you will start paying back during your residency.

ROTC will not pay for medical school. They pay for undergraduate and depending on your school, they will only pay for either room and board or tuition. Not both. Currently my scholarship pays for tuition, plus I receive a monthly stipend and money for books each semester.

As far as living at home, you should be able to while in medical school. Also you Will be a soldier while in medical school. A commissioned officer (2nd Lieutenant) to be more specific. If you receive a National Guard or Army Reserve slot upon commissioning you will have to to go to drill once a month, even during medical school.

There are quite a few black pearls in this post.

1) ROTC units vary. Some require more commitment, some less. Depends on the CO and command. Ask some of the current cadets where you want to go.

2) Wherever you go, it'll be a big time commitment. It may be possible to do ROTC and another activity/sport, but the added time commitment of pre-med (vs. easier majors) is hard. Not impossible, but hard.

3) Only do ROTC if you are OK with not going straight to med school and instead doing some time on active duty before going. Paths can never be set in stone in the military - you have to be flexible. In many ways, I would recommend this path - get a rest from education, see the world, get some street cred.

There are quite a few black pearls in this post.

I realize that, it's just that ROTC hasn't been too great for me, especially within this last year. Perhaps, it's the fact that is a fairly new program and the kinks are still being worked out. Maybe if I had ended up going to Iowa State I would have had a better experience, I don't know, but the truth remains that ROTC is not all sunshine and butterflies, and neither is the military in general for that matter. I will not deny that I am proud of the fact that I will be a commissioned 2nd LT by next summer. I have also learned quite a bit about myself and what I am capable of. So I guess I don't regret everything. I just have some unfortunate bitterness.

Thanks so much everyone. I am aware of how hard being in any army related thing is, and I'm totally up for it. I was really just worried about when I'd spend my time in the military. I'd like to finish school completely, including med school, before I owed my time back. But apparently that's not usually the case. So again, thank you :)

I read that you don't owe any time to the military if they pay for med school. Just 45 days of active duty during schooling. Is this true? And what's a good estimate of my chances of going through college then med school and then serving the army?

1) ROTC units vary. Some require more commitment, some less. Depends on the CO and command. Ask some of the current cadets where you want to go.

They must. I had a friend who was Army ROTC during undergrad and the only thing he had to do was show up for PT tests and that was it. So long as he maintained his stellar grades, I think the caveat was.

I never even once saw the guy in uniform. He said it was great getting his whole undergrad paid for and not even having to do any of the stuff the other cadets had to do (other than PT tests and some summer program).

I read that you don't owe any time to the military if they pay for med school. Just 45 days of active duty during schooling. Is this true? And what's a good estimate of my chances of going through college then med school and then serving the army?

I don't know where you read that. It says even in the recruiter brochure that you owe a year for every year they pay (paraphrasing, of course).

In terms of what everyone else is saying: don't do ROTC. Just focus on your grades/MCAT/ECs. As soon as you get a medical school acceptance (MD or DO), take the acceptance letter to whichever branch you want and, so long as you can pass the qualifications (physical, etc), you're good to go with a free ride, monthly stipend, and a sign-on bonus of some varying amount.

edit

Last edited:
Hahaha alrighty then. Never mind ROTC then lol.

I don't mind having to owe the army time after I finish med school really. I just would like to finish all schooling before I owe them my time. But that's apparently not gonna happen haha. Thanks for your perspective.

Let me give you the run-down from my perspective. I was prior service when I went to college so Army ROTC seemed like a pretty good deal, at least in the way they sold it. It would have been a good deal if you wanted to get a BA in general studies and go off into the operational world as an operator. However, if you have any interest in getting into medical school, DO NOT go this route.

First, they pretty much own you. Some units may only make you do a PT test every now and then but that is the extreme minority. You are a cog in the machine and as far as they are concerned, at this point, you are no different that your buddy making a 2.0 dying to be Ranger Joe. You'll have to do PT 3 days a week, class work twice a week and a 3-4 hour lab. This does not include all the extra duties you will be given such as squad leader, CO, First Sergeant etc. You can bank on having at least an hour or two of extra work every day on top of everything that was already mentioned. Additionally, expect to be voluntold to go on recruiting events and color guard duty. Even if you decline to do any of the extras like Ranger Challenge or whatever its called, you still get to set up for it. Add on to that the FTX's that take place monthly where you sit in the woods wishing you could study for your test on Monday and you've got about 20+ total hours each week dedicated to this 3 hour class...

That's just your first two years. When you hit your third year (read, the year you should be focusing on MCAT prep) they just start piling on the work. More FTX's, more additional duties, etc. Go ahead and add 5-10 hours on top of what you're already doing. You'll get to spend the summer of your junior year (read, when you should be sending out and receiving secondary applications) up in Ft. Lewis Washington with a large group of mouth breathers hoping to be the Army's version of Chesty Puller. While some of them are decent enough people and can hold a conversation, some are really really in love with the Army and your days will be spent listening to how they are going to go to Ranger school, followed by Jump school, followed by the Q course, followed by Halo, followed by BUDS, and topped off with a special course on wolf fighting taught by Liam Neeson himself. Oh and if you sent out your AMCAS on the first day like you should have you can rest assured that when you get home you'll have a stack of secondaries that had been sent out a month prior. Good luck explaining the long turn around.

Finally, when you do get into a med school you had better hope they didn't fill all the Ed Delay slots for the year. Otherwise you could be looking at an acceptance letter in one hand and orders to Benning in the other, guess which one wins? If you happened to get an Ed Delay and an acceptance and use the HPSP to pay for it, forget about a 4 year plus residency commitment. Go ahead and tack on 4 years to whatever the recruiter tells you.

If you got this far and are still considering it, well then I don't know what to tell you. Just remember what you could be doing with an extra 20 hours a week when you're sitting in a pretend FOB taking pretend fire getting yelled at by a future Transpo officer who bought a K-bar online for $250 because thinks he's John J. Rambo and that's what "operators" carry. Get a job, take loans, hell, give out handy's at the truck stop for 25 bucks in order to pay for college. You'll still come out ahead.

Silly. Everybody knows you go to jump school before Ranger school.

Seriously though, there's a little hyperbole here and - obviously - some bias, but it's pretty spot-on as far as the commitment and how it can/will affect your pre-med preparation. In any case, it just underscores the point that ROTC is designed to create officers, not physicians with rank.

Reactions: 1 user

Seriously though, there's a little hyperbole here and - obviously - some bias, but it's pretty spot-on as far as the commitment and how it can/will affect your pre-med preparation. In any case, it just underscores the point that ROTC is designed to create officers, not physicians with rank.

+1

It's a pretty big time commitment, and is "cookie cutter" in design where pre-med is a square peg going into a round hole.

BUT - especially if you are going to a private school where tuition is $40k a year... if you think of it as you are working half-time and getting paid around the median national income for a COLLEGE GRADUATE WORKING FULL TIME, it's a pretty damn good deal. Heaven forbid they make you work for that money. And, you're getting paid to work out, shoot guns, and learn actual leadership lessons.

I don't regret having done ROTC, gone into the artillery for a while, then going back to school.

Exactly. I myself am a nursing major (with intent on med school after) and ROTC has been a thorn in my side time commitment wise for four years. My roommate is pre-med and he too has felt the pressure albeit without the clinical hours I have. ROTC is meant to create line officers (which is why we have direct commission for medical) and you spend A LOT of weekends and early mornings learning modules and processes which are probably not going to be utilized as a medical officer.

Secondly, ROTC scholarships (especially 4 yrs) are VERY hard to get now no matter the branch. Around five years ago when I got mine, scholarships were handed out like candy on Halloween. Not so much anymore. In addition, like others have said, if you suck on the OML or your PMS hates you say good bye to your ed delay and you can either be branched into a less than desired specialty or put in the reserves/national guard. I have seen a few guys get into med school doing ROTC but they were beyond dedicated and spent almost every waking hour in the library either going over OPORDS/TLPs for LDAC, studying for the MCAT or doing lab write ups.

It's good to be optimistic but as a high schooler you just haven't gotten that dose of reality.

Good luck if you do indeed choose ROTC, but in my opinion it is a lackluster route for med school unless you want to say you earned your commission like every other officer.

EDIT-Regarding PT and labs. We had PT 3-4 days a week and a PT test every month. Lab training occurred one day a week and outside university training once per month. As you become a MS3/4 your time commitment drastically increases. At least 4 days a week I was up at 5-530. Depending on follow on schools after LDAC you can be gutted of 50-60 days of your summer which should be used to write med school apps....

Last edited: