Rough first day back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Katie

OK, I know people are going to get irritated at me, but just let me vent, OK? ;) So my first day of class begins today with my friend calling me while I'm in my PJ's and still getting ready. She tells me that she is downstairs, ready to go, and brought along someone who wants to say hello to me. I don't know who she is bringing, but I hurry to put some clothes on and look halfway presentable, and it turns out to be her roommate, my ex. He was friendly enough, but I don't think he wanted to see me any more than I wanted to see him :( Then we go into the lecture hall, and this guy that I was attracted to, really nice and friendly, has brought his girlfriend (an undergrad on break I guess) to friggin class! I didn't even know he had a girlfriend. oh well. I then walk out to the lobby after lecture where the scrubs I ordered MONTHS before are supposed to be, and they have not yet come in due to the fact that the girl who was supposed to pick them up from the warehouse was too lazy to do it. Then we go to the bookstore, where they are completely out of scrub pants, dissecting kits, and latex gloves. Surprise surprise. THEN we head to anatomy lecture where we get SWAMPED with information. I know I should have been prepared, but it totally caught me off my guard. In anatomy lab, things went OK (although the first day with the cadaver is always a bit scary) except that at one point after I had been dissecting, one of the teaching aids came to go over things with us and while listening to him I inadverently put my hand on a loose strand of hair! Ack, what was I thinking? Anyway, I'm off my tirade for now. thanks for listening, and please don't respond in any of the following ways:

1)"You should have been better prepared for anatomy today, maybe you are not able to handle the responsibility of med school." OK, fair enough, but I wanted to enjoy my break and not worry about it until I got here; is that so very terrible?

2)"Don't worry about that guy, you shouldn't date a fellow med student anyway." Whatever, I'm not even going to comment on that remark, to each his own. And with anatomy coming up, I'm really not concerned.

3)"How the hell could you be so careless in gross lab and ended up with your hand on your hair? EW!" Um, OK, I probably deserve that remark :)

4) "Shut the #$%$ up and stop whining".. OK, OK, I will, have a good day, and if the administrators or anyone else find this thread offensive, please feel free to delete it.

Members don't see this ad.

Awww Katie - I hope you have a better day today! I completely empathize with you - I remember this guy that I had a huge crush on. He would come up and talk to me - you know just being friendly and nice. Well one day I guess he felt very buddy buddy with me and proceeded to take out and show me pictures of him and his girlfriend on the beach in the bahamas! Every damn minute, he was like, "E'01 isn't she a hottie?" :(

chin up! BTw, anatomy begins in the spring at Tufts?

Katie-

As for putting dead body juice in your hair (BTW, I sympathize with you there- been there, done that), don't worry. Just wait until you need to take out the brain - the Stryker saw buzzing through that cranium, sending bone dandruff flying everywhere. :D :D :D

And your friend's a twit for bringing by the ex.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not even gonna comment on the ex thing. But the studying before your anatomy lecture over break thing is crazy. If you HAD studied over Christmas break I would have thought you were obsessive, not responsible.

And the thing about the hand on the hair. One of my friends had a piece of skin and fat fly up into his mouth in lab. Now thats disgusting! Also, I know some people that did some of their dissecting with their bare hands. I'm sure I accidentally touched my cadaver with bare hands a few times. I don't really remember (only 3 years have passed, but it seems like a distant memory).

Both the ex thing and the anatomy supply things do suck though. I hope the rest of your year goes well.

I'll have to think of an interesting response to this one seeing as how you've covered them all. How about this - a story about how your second day back will go: you go to pick up your scrubs and the apologetic girl hands them to you...the store received it's stock of materials and they are all waiting for you when you arrive, they're even cheaper because of the sale which you would not have received yesterday...you studied anatomy so hard that you're a star in the anatomy class, answering questions left and right. The guy with the girlfriend is so impressed that he strikes up an interesting conversation with you after class and convinces you to be his year-long tutor. Your ex catches wind that a hottie is after you and begs for forgiveness (which would be fun regardless of whether you wanted to forgive him or not). That would be a good day!

This may sound like weird (and almost impossible) advice but, always try to keep a clean finger. I like the left hand pinky. You can tuck a stray hair or push up the glasses with it. I found it really came in handy with my "just too short to tuck back" hair. Also, always have a clean shoulder to scratch the nose or chin with.

Finally, bring a few pair of gloves. You'll break a few, need to pee, want to take a break for a Coke and just plain give your shriveled hands a rest, all of which require removing your gloves and not wanting to put the old back on.

Good luck!

Aw, you guys are so sweet; thanks for the encouragement. especially the poster who wrote below. Today did go much better; the scrubs were actually ready (I damn near had a heart attack over that) and although the lazy girl was not apologetic I have the scrubs in hand. I never made it to the store because I slept poorly last night and had to take a nap at lunch, but a few of my group members brought supplies and did most of the cutting today (so no body parts in hair today for me :D ) And the guy with the gf may very well need a year-long tutor if he continues to skip anatomy lab to spend time with her as he did today. His group members were NOT happy that he wasn't present to say the least. Not to judge people unfavorably, but with the amount of information being tossed at us already, I think anyone who is skipping so soon and continues to do so may well have the joy of repeating anatomy in the summer. And guess what, the guy's gf goes to school in the Midwest (I think) and won't be here in Boston to keep him company if he has to repeat the course during the summer. awww, too bad.. I'm not vindictive or cruel at all, am I? ;) Anyway, I need to pick up the books and study so that I'm not the one repeating anatomy during the summer.. good luck to everyone (who probably already made it through anatomy).

Originally posted by CoffeeCat:
•I'll have to think of an interesting response to this one seeing as how you've covered them all. How about this - a story about how your second day back will go: you go to pick up your scrubs and the apologetic girl hands them to you...the store received it's stock of materials and they are all waiting for you when you arrive, they're even cheaper because of the sale which you would not have received yesterday...you studied anatomy so hard that you're a star in the anatomy class, answering questions left and right. The guy with the girlfriend is so impressed that he strikes up an interesting conversation with you after class and convinces you to be his year-long tutor. Your ex catches wind that a hottie is after you and begs for forgiveness (which would be fun regardless of whether you wanted to forgive him or not). That would be a good day!•••

you all have antomy 2nd semester? thankfully we finished last semester!

Originally posted by colorado_1:
•you all have antomy 2nd semester? thankfully we finished last semester!•••

yes, Tufts has anatomy 2nd semester, along with physiology (which 15 students failed last year, and 5 students failed twice), and histology. Later on, short courses in hematology and genetics get thrown in.

Good to hear the universe is starting to work in your favor. Ahh the joys of anatomy. The smell, the cadavers, the flying body parts in your hair and mouth (EHTH). I hope you guys have a locker to keep the smelly scrubs in. I never took them home except to wash 'em and it was back in the anatomy locker they go. I assume you shower every day after anatomy lab. It's hard to get the smell out of your hair even if you don't touch it.

It will be over before you know it. If you can memorize and pass anatomy, you can memorize almost anything else in medicine. Take comfort in that fact as you finish anatomy. It's a marathon. Just take it once step at a time, study everyday and you'll be fine. :) Fourth-year is probably the best year ever... and then internship year... it's all down hill from here, sorta like being king of the hill in high school...sigh...only with more responsibility.

Katie, I'm sorry you had such a bad day, but I must admit, your post was pretty entertaining. Please don't take that in a bad way.

I believe it was Shakespeare who said, "when sorrows come, they come not as single spies, but as entire batallions." -Hamlet

Unfortunately, this seems to come true too often.

Me!

Originally posted by RockOn:

Finally, bring a few pair of gloves. You'll break a few, need to pee, want to take a break for a Coke and just plain give your shriveled hands a rest, all of which require removing your gloves and not wanting to put the old back on.

Good luck!•••

Not to go way off topic, but is it better to use nitrile gloves in anatomy lab? They're more durable and I think offer better protection.

Latex is quite permeable to formaldehyde and the other preservating agents. Nitrile is several times less permeable to those agents. Thus, your hands won't smell like the bodies you've been digging in.

Originally posted by Katie:
•OK, I know people are going to get irritated at me, but just let me vent, OK? ;) So my first day of class begins today with my friend calling me while I'm in my PJ's and still getting ready. She tells me that she is downstairs, ready to go, and brought along someone who wants to say hello to me. I don't know who she is bringing, but I hurry to put some clothes on and look halfway presentable, and it turns out to be her roommate, my ex. He was friendly enough, but I don't think he wanted to see me any more than I wanted to see him :( Then we go into the lecture hall, and this guy that I was attracted to, really nice and friendly, has brought his girlfriend (an undergrad on break I guess) to friggin class! I didn't even know he had a girlfriend. oh well. I then walk out to the lobby after lecture where the scrubs I ordered MONTHS before are supposed to be, and they have not yet come in due to the fact that the girl who was supposed to pick them up from the warehouse was too lazy to do it. Then we go to the bookstore, where they are completely out of scrub pants, dissecting kits, and latex gloves. Surprise surprise. THEN we head to anatomy lecture where we get SWAMPED with information. I know I should have been prepared, but it totally caught me off my guard. In anatomy lab, things went OK (although the first day with the cadaver is always a bit scary) except that at one point after I had been dissecting, one of the teaching aids came to go over things with us and while listening to him I inadverently put my hand on a loose strand of hair! Ack, what was I thinking? Anyway, I'm off my tirade for now. thanks for listening, and please don't respond in any of the following ways:

1)"You should have been better prepared for anatomy today, maybe you are not able to handle the responsibility of med school." OK, fair enough, but I wanted to enjoy my break and not worry about it until I got here; is that so very terrible?

2)"Don't worry about that guy, you shouldn't date a fellow med student anyway." Whatever, I'm not even going to comment on that remark, to each his own. And with anatomy coming up, I'm really not concerned.

3)"How the hell could you be so careless in gross lab and ended up with your hand on your hair? EW!" Um, OK, I probably deserve that remark :)

4) "Shut the #$%$ up and stop whining".. OK, OK, I will, have a good day, and if the administrators or anyone else find this thread offensive, please feel free to delete it.•••

Hey Katie, well it's good that you still have room for humor under trying circumstances! Just remember to keep your mouth closed when you or someone in your group is sawing bones :D . I'm still squeamish (sp?) as I was 8 weeks ago :D , but just 2 more weeks to go! I sent you a private message before the break. I'd greatly appreciate it if you can answer my queries :D .

hey guardian,

I didn't get your PM cause I forgot to change my info over to my new e-mail address. I'll send you a PM with my new e-mail at Tufts so you can e-mail me there. take care!

katie, I was glad to hear that someone else had a rough first day back, cuz mine sucked too. Not that my ex showed up or anything, but just the sheer despair of returning to the old grind was enough to ruin my day. Plus, I had left North Carolina when it was 65 degrees and sunny, and returned to find 8 inches of snow on the ground - jeeeeez! And of course no one thought to plow most of the roads, let alone salt them! :mad: Anyway, enough of my ranting. Just remember, we are halfway done with the year, and the rest will probably go faster than we realize!
take care,
penelope

I really found that barehands worked best in anatomy. You can really start to tell the difference between little things just by feel without those big mitts covering your hands. I did find that my hands smelled no worse (after washing)than those that used gloves. Also, you save money on gloves and it is easy to gross out your friends!!! Keep plugging, and believe me that you won't remember a damn thing by the time you start your third year surgery rotation!!!

When I was in anatomy, I accidently flicked some fat into someone's mouth.

I think the bad karma is still with me.

-Mary