Rough First Semester, Advice on How to Proceed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smith53

Pre-Med Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't do as well as I had hoped during my first year of college getting a C+ in freshman chemistry and calculus I, due to my pledging in a fraternity.

I wanted to know if I should try to retake these courses, which I could easily get an A in both, or should I continue and shoot for a 4.0 to raise my GPA.

Also I was thinking of changing my major from Genetics to Biology due to the easier course load. Is there any benefit to being a Genetics major in applying to Medical school aside from the fact that I enjoy it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd stick with the major I'm interested in rather than changing to biology. I'm actually a Biomed. engineering major and its also a pretty hard course load. Also, med schools get alot of biology majors, so having a unique major would be beneficial.

Umm as for freshman year thing, just try to bring your grades up for the rest of your undergrad. Don't slack off, you'll just have to work hard to bring that GPA up. I don't think you should retake them during you school year.. Maybe try to retake them over the summer or something if you really want.

If you get an A in Chem II, you'll have redeemed the poor impression that C will give. Retake only if you didn't understand the material well enough to do well on the MCAT. Many schools require Calc I or Statisitics. Only one I know of requires Calc II. I wouldn't worry as much about the C in Calc, as it's not tested on the MCAT, but maybe be sure to take Statistics unless you know you'll be applying to a school that specifically requires Calc I. Then consider repeating. Summer school repeats are fine.

So, presumably being in a frat isn't effecting your grades this semester? What do you project your GPA will be this term?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your major matters for med schools, so just pick the one that you enjoy and also gives you high grades.

I didn't do as well as I had hoped during my first year of college getting a C+ in freshman chemistry and calculus I, due to my pledging in a fraternity.

I wanted to know if I should try to retake these courses, which I could easily get an A in both, or should I continue and shoot for a 4.0 to raise my GPA.

Also I was thinking of changing my major from Genetics to Biology due to the easier course load. Is there any benefit to being a Genetics major in applying to Medical school aside from the fact that I enjoy it?

Thanks

Hey man I was in practically the same situation as you, except I pledged my sophmore year. I too made a couple of C's that year, mainly because I was a poor time manager, and pledge semester requires so much time. Don't worry about those couple of C's, just make sure you do well from here on out.

My science GPA was a 3.9 going into my pledge semester, and by the time I was done with my sophmore year, it had dropped to a 3.1. But, I learned to use all my resources efficiently, I learned to manage my time, and I have made a 3.8-4.0 every semester since and brought my science GPA to 3.59. I still have three more semesters, so if I continue the trend, it could hit a 3.7 with 3.8 total by the time I graduate.

You are in fact in a better situation, because you still have at least 3 more years to improve your grades. Do what ever you need to do in order to get better grades. If you think you need to change your major, do it. But, do not drop out of your fraternity. Trust me, you will have some of the best times, and you will get a lot of leadership experience out of it, especially if you take up a committe or e-board chair.

Hey thanks for the advice,

Yeah I am doing well this semester and will come out with a near 4.0.