Rough Start - Transferred - Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell:

Transferred last year from a large state school to a small liberal arts college. My GPA at the state school was fairly low (only attended for two quarters getting a C in Gen Chem 1, C in Pre-Calc, A in English, A in Acting, and A in Psych 100, W in Calc).

Since I've transferred I've maintained a 3.96. I'm currently a sophomore.

If I keep this GPA up what are my chances of getting into a decent school?

ECs:

- Volunteer for 2 hrs a week at a nursing home
- Have worked (paid) at a hospital since I was 16 (2 years delivering food trays, going on 3 years as a Nurse's Aide)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Without knowing the number of credit hours and the GPA at the state school and new school, I can't do the math for you. But in general, for those I've seen with a similiar story, with near-straight As until you graduate, you should be competitive somewhere. At worst, you may need to do a fifth year of college.

Without knowing the number of credit hours and the GPA at the state school and new school, I can't do the math for you. But in general, for those I've seen with a similiar story, with near-straight As until you graduate, you should be competitive somewhere. At worst, you may need to do a fifth year of college.

I did the math awhile back and it ended up being somewhere around 3.65 and 3.7 or something. Yeah, I'll probably be in for a fifth year anyways due to a major change so it works.

I'm looking at racking up some more ECs as well. I just wanted to see where I was at currently.

Thanks for the feedback!

With a 3.6+ by submission time, I'd say you'll be in good shape.

Your clinical experience will be extremely strong relative to most applicants. Be sure to use your contacts to get some physician shadowing in eventually.

Since you work in a clinical environment, consider getting in some nonmedical/noncampus community service. Adcomms are liking to see that type of involvement more lately.

Don't forget to strategize about a leadership role. Get in some research if possible. If an opportunity to TA, tutor, or mentor comes along, take it if it works with your schedule, as Teaching experience is also valued when you apply.

Hobbies, sports involvement, and artistic endeavors are other experiences that have a place on the application.