1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

routes to becoming an OMS

Discussion in 'Dental' started by abina81, Apr 8, 2004.

1. abina81

abina81 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

To my understanding, there are two ways to become an OMS. I know you can go to Med school and then Dent school or vice versa. You have to go through each program (4 years for dent and for 4 years for med) Is this true? Are these the only two options?

just a curious and confused predent.

thanks

abina81

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

The most common route is 4 years of dental school, followed by either a 6-year residency (OMFS-MD program) or a 4-year residency (non-MD program).

The other route (not very common) is to earn an MD first through the normal four years of med school, followed by a 6-year residency during which the resident goes through the last two years of dental school and earns a DDS.

HTH.

4. doctoricon

doctoricon Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

if you have time check around for school that also offer the oms fellowship. I know in medical school in milwaukee the offer the program. It is one year follow your dental school. This is really help to prepare you to get into the
    OMS --program

5. Energon

Energon Nobody Summons Megatron
    15+ Year Member

That is an internship and not a fellowship. Yes you are right the internship does prepare you to match for OMS in case your scores havn't been stellar and you are really fixed on OS. There are a lot of universities that offer the 1 yr internship. Also upon the completion of this intership some give you a GPR certificate