Rowan SOM Vs. LECOM-E Vs. LECOM-B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BirdietheCockatiel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I would really appreciate some advice regarding which school is the better choice. I am a Florida resident as well, and I am hoping to be a surgeon as of right now. I feel that I am leaning towards Rowan, but the high tuition is worrying me. Also, I don't really care about the mandatory dress code or no food/drinks rules. I'm just looking for the best education and where I would be happiest, as well as not having to relocate so much for rotations. I'm pretty interested to see what you guys think.

RowanSOM

-New hybrid curriculum (sorta combined pbl and traditional lecture)
-More research funding and opportunities.
-High OOS tuition at 66k
-Has its own teaching hospital and offers many residencies
-Free Mentoring program
-Don't have to buy textbooks.

LECOM-E

-Will probably do pbl to avoid mandatory classes
-High board scores
-Lottery system for rotations I think, 4th year seems unorganized
-Low tuition costs at 34k

LECOM-B

-
Pretty much same as above
-33k Tuition
-Mandatory rotation in Erie for a month or two is kinda annoying.
-Not enough spots at rotations in Florida for all students.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly OOS tuition for Rowan is ridiculous, and that would really turn me off from Rowan (I am actually IS NJ so I did not know Rowan's tuition was that steep OOS). I do not think the education you would receive at Rowan would justify practically 140K more in debt. But that's just me

-LECOM always has high board scores and great match lists
-another concern for Rowan is where are you looking to match for residency? The majority of rowan students match in the tri-state area (NJ/NY/PA), where it might be more difficult to match back in FL if Rowan is not well known to programs down there

LECOM also has their own residencies as well