Rowan SOM vs NYITCOM (NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningdoc0394

Reaction score
With the deadline approaching to put a deposit down, I am between Rowan and NYITCOM. I was able to attend Rowan's in person open house last week, and NYITCOM's virtual today. Overall, I am getting the feeling that Rowan has a higher emphasis on their community health projects and research and the opportunity to attend classes in person, while NYITCOM has more freedom to create your own schedule and more opportunities to attend rotations where you are interested in going for residency across the country.

I was also turned off by my interview with NYITCOM, the interviewer was very dismissive, discouraging of doing research in medical school, and told me its difficult to find mentors/create bonds with professors. My experience with Rowan's interview process was outstanding and very conversational, my interviewer actually seemed interested in me as a person, not just another applicant.

Overall, I am torn between wanting the option to attend classes in person and greater research, but also wanting the freedom to do rotations out of state. I am from New York so location isn't really a factor for me (besides the fact that Rowan is closer to a major city than NYITCOM is slightly)

Does anyone have any major pros/cons for attending either school?

Members don't see this ad.