Royal College of Surgeons Ireland... is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Study247

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen, currently in grade 12 and i was interested in applying to some international universities in order to pursue a career in medicine. Here in canada we have to do 4 yrs undergrad and then we can apply for medicine and from what i have heard ... it is very difficult (near to impossible) to get in. My parents were thinking of sending me to Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland... and some other universities ... but i really don't know if this is the right decision to make especially since im just completing high school... can anyone share their advice and experiences plz...cuz the application deadlines are coming up.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen, currently in grade 12 and i was interested in applying to some international universities in order to pursue a career in medicine. Here in canada we have to do 4 yrs undergrad and then we can apply for medicine and from what i have heard ... it is very difficult (near to impossible) to get in. My parents were thinking of sending me to Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland... and some other universities ... but i really don't know if this is the right decision to make especially since im just completing high school... can anyone share their advice and experiences plz...cuz the application deadlines are coming up.

Thanks
Hi. First off you do not have to complete an undergrad degree for admission to MD programs in Canada. Refer to "http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/programs/md/admissions/0809/Frequently_Asked_Questions.htm". Last I checked the acceptance rates in Ontario are about half of what they are across the States (~23-26 %). I would not start undergrad in Canada. Definitely a bad move. I would move to whatever State is closest and go to the best public U they have. I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but I would not stay in Ontario. I have a relative that did undergrad at McMaster finished w/ a 3.9 in biology, MCAT in the low 30s, did the usual volunteering, research for two years after undergrad (while going through applications and reapplications) and was consistently rejected. He's in a different doctoral program now and happy, but regardless..There are just way too few spots available in Ontario to meet the need. Even with the Mississauga campus opening it'd be only ~40 or so seats by the time you would start applying.
As for Ireland... Its way expensive. Look at their websites but for foreign students (you) it would come out to somewhere around $62 000/yr for the 4-year program. Also there's no U in Ireland that offers a professional MD. I know for the UK that the MD there is a research (mom-professional doctorate). So in Ireland, you would earn a "MB BCh BAO". If you don't want to go to the States or pay so much for Ireland, you can earn an MD at quite a few U's throughout Central and Eastern Europe.
Some of the ones I looked at briefly from my part of the world: U of Belgrade (7000 USD/year) and U of Zagreb (7000 Euro/year).
Peace.

hi there,

i agree with u about not doing undergrad here umm...r u from hungary?...i was planning to apply to uni of Szegd, hav u heard of it?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi there,

i agree with u about not doing undergrad here umm...r u from hungary?...i was planning to apply to uni of Szegd, hav u heard of it?
I've been to Szeged quite a few times actually.. and yes I have heard of their University and the english language program they have.

I'm not from Hungary, though kind of from the area - Serbia.

oh ok...thanks for ur help tho