Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone besides me still waiting to hear from RCSI? They said I would hear 2 weeks after the interview, but it's been 3 weeks and I still haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Same story here. I interviewed Feb 12 and no response yet. I think I will call Peter in California if I don't get anything today.

cjw, if you call Peter let me know what he says. ...nothin' like sitting on pins and needles waiting. If you are accepted, are you going to attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get anything today, so I e-mailed. Hopefully I will get a response today or tomorrow. I just don't want to hear that I am rejected over the phone, ya know...how embarrassing. Anyway, I'll tell you what the e-mail says whe he writes back.

Good news! He e-mailed back and said I was accepted. I should be receiving my acceptance letter and info any day now. I think I'm going to look at the school in Dublin this Spring before I let go of my other med school acceptance in Texas. I am very excited though! Good luck to you.

Good news here too! I called home and my roomate said I got a big envelope from Ireland. I told her to open it. I got in! I'm very excited but scared!

Awesome! So are you seriously considering going? Are you going to take a trip over there before Oct to look at the place, or have you already been there? Are you worried about financing this? I am. E-mail me and we'll talk. [email protected]

This has nothing to do with the topic. But, I wanted to know if you guys could tell me a little about the Royal College of Surgeons. I've always been fascinated by Ireland. Thanks =)

It's a 5-year program, with 3 years pre-clinical and 2 years clinical if you have a bachelor's degree. If you come from high school, it's a 6-year program with the first year being pre-med prereqs, I think. I am accepted to the 5-year program. School starts Oct 1 with breaks for Christmas, Spring, and Summer. 45 North American are accepted every year to go to RCSI with the expectation that you will return to your home country for residency. US graduates secure great residency spots by the look of their match list- Hopkins, Mayo, and Cleveland Clinic are all on there multiple times. USMLE pass rate is 97-98%. Tuition is $26,000/yr X 5 years (ouch!). Big loans for me.
smile.gif
Anything else you want to know just ask. I am very excited to be going.

Hey, thanks! Good luck
smile.gif

Oh, one more thing. Do you know if it's hard to get loans and other financial aid to go there? Do they give any scholarships?

From what I have seen, scholarships are only available to Irish students. As far as loans, in my acceptance packet they sent a FAFSA, Stafford Loan app, and MedAchiever loan app. US citizens are still eligible for government loans, so I don't anticipate that being a problem. If you want to know more about the school, you can look at www.rcsi.ie. Take care.

Just curious as to why you would want to go to a different country for a 5 year program when you got into a US 4-year program? What are the advantages?

Good question. I have been to Europe 3 times, and I have always wanted to live there. When I am older, married, and have a family I won't have the opportunity to do something like this. RCSI is also a great school with a great matchlist. The extra year doesn't really bother me. It's one year out of a whole life. I think the abroad experience will be worth it.

Hi. Congrats to all of those accepted to RCSI! Could you please help me out by telling me a little about your "portfolio"? I guess, what I mean to ask is...would you please share with me your stats, extra-curriculars, etc. I'm interested in RCSI because I've met a couple of outstanding doctors in my local area from that school. Both are surgeons...one is neuro and the other is cardiothoracic! I'd appreciate any help or input you could provide for me! Also, if you don't mind, tell me what your tactics were when you applied. Did you apply early, late, what kind of letters of rec did you have? You know..the juicy stuff. Anyways..thanks for your time.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by premedmijo:
Just curious as to why you would want to go to a different country for a 5 year program when you got into a US 4-year program? What are the advantages?

Many of us a believe that it is plain crazy to try and learn 5 years of material in four years.
wink.gif

Atlas,
If you are thinking of applying to RCSI, e-mail me and I would be happy to talk to you about what worked for me. [email protected]. Take care.

You are just so cute to be coming to RCSI!
Applying to RSCI was the most awesome choice I made last year and the amount of fun we have here is phenomenal!! We work hard and play hard and it couldn't be any better!!
Just felt like congradulating you for being accepted into our college! Life in Dublin and in our college will probably be one of the most amazing experiences in your life!!

The above was written to cjw0918!
Ciao*