Royal vs Glasgow vs Western U (Alt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitaBears

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm a 28 y/o US resident and first-time applicant. Royal and Glasgow offered me seats then placed me as an alternative for Western U. I feel like I'm in limbo where I want to wait for Western U's final decision, but I need to start putting deposits and processing visas to Europe. Western U is my top choice since it's close to home!

Any tips, information, and advice are greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get into the 4 or 5 year program at Royal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Even comparing prices for the 4 year program, Glasgow is still a lot cheaper. Only downside is that it is a 5 year program, so if it's really important for you to be in practice sooner RVC may be a better pick, but from a financial standpoint Glasgow wins. Glasgow also seems like a really cool place to live...London is too, but also very expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Even comparing prices for the 4 year program, Glasgow is still a lot cheaper. Only downside is that it is a 5 year program, so if it's really important for you to be in practice sooner RVC may be a better pick, but from a financial standpoint Glasgow wins. Glasgow also seems like a really cool place to live...London is too, but also very expensive.
Thanks for the insight! I completely agree with you. I'm still having trouble choosing because I want to finish earlier. I'll just have to keep weighing my options!

Quite late to the party but Glasgow is nearly £34k a year and RVC is £36k but you have to do an extra year at Glasgow. Your degree is far more expensive doing 5 years at Glasgow vs doing 4 years at RVC.

With that said, rvc sucks on the whole, cannot recommend the school. Wish I'd gone to Glasgow instead of RVC.

Quite late to the party but Glasgow is nearly £34k a year and RVC is £36k but you have to do an extra year at Glasgow. Your degree is far more expensive doing 5 years at Glasgow vs doing 4 years at RVC.

With that said, rvc sucks on the whole, cannot recommend the school. Wish I'd gone to Glasgow instead of RVC.
You would definitely know more than me since I haven't attended either school 🙂.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about RVC?

You would definitely know more than me since I haven't attended either school 🙂.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about RVC?
Examinations aren't thorough at all, preclinical lectures have been generally quite vague or full of unexplained detail, dissections are never timed properly and hard to get much out of as most people spend all their time struggling with the dissection instructions and never get to the important structures, admin is poor at communicating, little to no actual feedback on learning, came out of first year feeling extremely iffy about whether I learned anything correct, no rigidly defined curriculum so they just throw basic material at you and expect you to learn the highlights through unguided reading.

What did you end up deciding? I’m also torn between RVC and Glasgow!

What did you end up deciding? I’m also torn between RVC and Glasgow!
I'm in the same boat. Originally I was set on RVC, but I had such a great interview with Glasgow which has me really going back and forth. Have u made a decision yet?