RR + Baby Robbin's = solid for path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecalccobra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would the above combination be good enough to get me a solid foundation in special path? I ask this because I used Robbin's Basis heavily for general path, felt like I spent way to much time and didn't feel I knew the information better than people who relied on BRS, Baby Robbin's, RR.

Members don't see this ad.

Would the above combination be good enough to get me a solid foundation in special path? I ask this because I used Robbin's Basis heavily for general path, felt like I spent way to much time and didn't feel I knew the information better than people who relied on BRS, Baby Robbin's, RR.

Usually NOT enough. Read medium Robbins (stay away from big robbins) and back it up with Goljan. You might get by with the highlights, but it wont be enough for longer understanding, and you might actually suffer on the test.

Big Robbins (what I used) was WAY too much. Stay away from it.

After much speculation, I've decided to go with RR and medium Robbins.

Members don't see this ad :)
After much speculation, I've decided to go with RR and medium Robbins.

I started that in the beginning of the year and found even that to be too much, so I just cut out Robbins all together. Seriously best decision ever. You need to know nothing more than what is in RR. Use medium Robbins as a reference in case you want to clarify something, but often times I just found it more helpful to use uptodate or wikipedia. Good luck! If you feel like you have to use a Robbin's textbook, I'd say go with the mini.

RR is enough. Leave any kind of Robbins to the neurotic folk.

Unless you are neurotic yourself. In which case, you better read Big Robbins twice.

RR is enough. Leave any kind of Robbins to the neurotic folk.

Unless you are neurotic yourself. In which case, you better read Big Robbins twice.

I used RR as my main source. Referenced big robbins only when I needed clarification for in-house stuff, never for Step 1

Def forgot to mention Goljan Audio and Robbins Q book

Last edited:
RR + Webpath + Robbin's Qbook + G's Audio, if done throughout the year will allow you to annihilate Step 1.

No Big Robbin's required.

RR + Webpath + Robbin's Qbook + G's Audio, if done throughout the year will allow you to annihilate Step 1.

Totally agreed. That's what I started doing in the second semester, and it worked well. I only did Robbins's QBook occasionally, though. Chances are you won't even need that level of detail for class, but it's still a great resource.

This is what I did, and while a pain to get through, it's worth it. I really liked the Robbins Qbook, but man, some of those questions were just mean.

Totally agreed. That's what I started doing in the second semester, and it worked well. I only did Robbins's QBook occasionally, though. Chances are you won't even need that level of detail for class, but it's still a great resource.

I definitely needed that level of detail for my path class. My path grade shot up after I started doing robbins q book consistently

Im pretty sure, since this is in Allopathic and not Step I, that he's asking for materials to help in his coursework, his long-term understanding of pathophysiology of disease.

I'd like to point out that while most people foolishly consider the basic sciences to be "a waste of time" and all you should do is "study for Step I," not everyone feels the same way. Some people actually go to learn a foundation of pathology and pathophysiology. Reading a textbook should not be shunned or considered "neurotic," especially when that textbook is designed for undergrad level (Medium Robbins).

OP, if you're interested in Step I prep, or the "path you need to know for the test only" stick with RR only. Otherwise, go ahead and supplement your education. There is more to medical school than standardized exams...

I legitimately read about 80% of big robbins, some parts I read twice. It got cut down the last two block exams a bit. I do like the book, but it is just so much stuff. I found the pictures and diagrams to be the most valuable part of it, especially since I don't care for many of the ones in rapid-review (diagrams mainly). The big problem was, that when I was done with a chapter, it wasn't uncommon for me to go, "What the **** did I just read?" I did find I had a better knowledge of the topic overall, but probably not enough to warrant the ungodly amount of time it takes to properly read a chapter.

I do feel that rapid review sticks better and makes more sense the first time through. I absolutely used the robbins review question book. Most of the path questions on our exams were near that level of difficulty with some being more obscure. (Neuropathologists teaching neuropathology forget that what is common sense to them, isn't for 2nd year medical students)

I think baby robbins is too thing. I read several chapters in that too. It was basically a summary of powerpoint presentations for me. Medium is properly a good size for most normal human beings. Gives a little more detail, but you don't get bogged down with stuff that doesn't really expand your overall understanding much.

Im pretty sure, since this is in Allopathic and not Step I, that he's asking for materials to help in his coursework, his long-term understanding of pathophysiology of disease.

I'd like to point out that while most people foolishly consider the basic sciences to be "a waste of time" and all you should do is "study for Step I," not everyone feels the same way. Some people actually go to learn a foundation of pathology and pathophysiology. Reading a textbook should not be shunned or considered "neurotic," especially when that textbook is designed for undergrad level (Medium Robbins).

OP, if you're interested in Step I prep, or the "path you need to know for the test only" stick with RR only. Otherwise, go ahead and supplement your education. There is more to medical school than standardized exams...
A bit militant are we? I'm pretty sure you can get a decent idea of how pathology works by "only" reading Goljan.

Members don't see this ad :)
A bit militant are we? I'm pretty sure you can get a decent idea of how pathology works by "only" reading Goljan.

I'm not sure how I made it through med school w/o reading Big Robbins. I guess it's all luck :cool:

You're right. I have answers to complex pathophysiology questions because I did only Goljan...

Its actually why I post on this site. People here are obsessed with "doing well on the test," and neglect the real education. Calling me "militant" totally misses the point. My point was that while most people follow a rigid dogma of "must do well on test" (the 'militant' standpoint of ONLY DO GOLJANZZZZZ!), there are people who are legitimately interested in learning some pathophysiology beyond a review book.

You can get a "decent" idea of how path works by reading any review book. I'm pretty sure the OP has encountered classmates who understand topics better than he does, which is why he's asking for help.

Offering the advice that someone might want to use a textbook, albeit an easy textbook, isnt militant at all... its a suggestion... a suggestion rooted in my own success, a success that might actually be what he wants...

Im not sure why my suggestion was considered militant, and Im not sure while people are perseverating on Goljan... it isnt the only option, especially when he's said he's already behind on other people's knowledge

Goljan Book, Goljan Audio, Robbins Question Book = all you need for path. Your class notes will fill in the blanks. This is also great review for the boards. If you learn path well, boards studying will be a cinch.

People tell me to not miss out on the opportunity to read Big Robbin's as now is the time to read textbooks and build solid foundations. So, everytime I study from Goljan and BRS and dump Robbin's I feel a sense of guilt :/ For those who are MS3, MS4 and didn't read Robbin's but stuck to RR, webpath, audio, etc do you guys feel like you missed out? And if you could do it again, would you read it?

The only issue here is RR is terrible as a first time read. If you have no idea about path, good luck trying to stumble through 900 pages of bullet points when you have no clue about the subject.
That being said, once you have seen some path before (been to lecture or w/e) its probably the best book these is, hands down.

I really appreciate this thread. I want to destroy path next year :D

One of the ways I get something in my head is by doing questions. The more questions I do, the better I know it (have lots of proof for this after 1st year).

Robins review only has like 40 questions in each chapter. BRS doesn't seem to have many questions at all. Is there a book out there that has 200 questions w/ explanations per chapter or another good source for questions?

I guess there's always qbanks, but I'm not really that familiar with them yet. Could I always get USMLERx or Kaplan for extra questions? Do those banks allow you to isolate chapters (50 questions for cellular injury, 50 for inflammation, 50 for GI, etc.)?

I always felt like I was struggling to find enough questions this year. I did amazing in anatomy with BRS and UMich's website. As I did more and more physio from BRS, Guyton, and Pretest, I really started to make some amazing grades. More histo questions would've probably helped a lot.

One of the ways I get something in my head is by doing questions. The more questions I do, the better I know it (have lots of proof for this after 1st year).

Robins review only has like 40 questions in each chapter. BRS doesn't seem to have many questions at all. Is there a book out there that has 200 questions w/ explanations per chapter or another good source for questions?

I guess there's always qbanks, but I'm not really that familiar with them yet. Could I always get USMLERx or Kaplan for extra questions? Do those banks allow you to isolate chapters (50 questions for cellular injury, 50 for inflammation, 50 for GI, etc.)?

I always felt like I was struggling to find enough questions this year. I did amazing in anatomy with BRS and UMich's website. As I did more and more physio from BRS, Guyton, and Pretest, I really started to make some amazing grades. More histo questions would've probably helped a lot.

I did Robbins Review (40-50), Lippincott's Path (40-50), and PreTest (100) for my courses. PreTest wasn't all that helpful. Some people like getting a head start on Step Studying, so get a Kaplan or a UWorld early. Thats ALOT of questions.

Either Qbank allows you to select "Path" and "Organ System" to cover only the questions youll be studying. But honestly, if you're going to get a Qbank, you might as well also do some review from first year, prepping yourself for Step.

If you are planning on doing only one bank then get Uworld.

If you want to do one for learning during second year, then get one for practice after second year is over, get Kaplan first (ReKaps and FA references, questions are harder) then practice with UWorld (interface is exactly like the real deal, questions more similar).

Our system is a bit different (systems based, so no single "path" block) -- but I studied from big Robbins, a little bit of Goljan audio and Robbins review. I loved big Robbins -- reading it through gave me a great overview and it has tons of the epidemiology that helps with figuring out the question (e.g. 6:1 M:F ratio, mostly presents 20s-30s -- your question stem is not going to be a 52 YOWF with a new case). Also, for Cards, Lily (sp?) is an absolute must-have.

We also have access medicine at my school, which has a lot of online textbooks you can use (some are better than others). These are good supplements on a subject-by-subject basis.

YMMV -- I think that I probably would have done equally well if I had just used some of the RR material and stayed away from Robbins, because a lot of my tests were very much "bullet point" based. That said, I studied a lot of material that was not covered in our classes (and got some flak about it from the few people with whom I study), but I felt it was important to learn the material even if it wasn't covered in class. I was able to cover all of the material I considered important (even what was glossed over in class) and give due diligence to the material emphasized in class without it being overwhelming. I did very well on our lecture exams and (hopefully) am in a good position for Step 1.

I think the poster above who said "different study styles" hit the nail on the head. I can't memorize to save my life, because my brain just turns off when I read one of the super-outliney bullet point texts -- it's like trying to memorize arbitrary lists of information to me. That said, if I read a broad background of the material, I can often reason my way to the right answer without knowing the specific point about which the question is asking.

Our system is a bit different (systems based, so no single "path" block) -- but I studied from big Robbins, a little bit of Goljan audio and Robbins review. I loved big Robbins -- reading it through gave me a great overview and it has tons of the epidemiology that helps with figuring out the question (e.g. 6:1 M:F ratio, mostly presents 20s-30s -- your question stem is not going to be a 52 YOWF with a new case). Also, for Cards, Lily (sp?) is an absolute must-have.

We also have access medicine at my school, which has a lot of online textbooks you can use (some are better than others). These are good supplements on a subject-by-subject basis.

YMMV -- I think that I probably would have done equally well if I had just used some of the RR material and stayed away from Robbins, because a lot of my tests were very much "bullet point" based. That said, I studied a lot of material that was not covered in our classes (and got some flak about it from the few people with whom I study), but I felt it was important to learn the material even if it wasn't covered in class. I was able to cover all of the material I considered important (even what was glossed over in class) and give due diligence to the material emphasized in class without it being overwhelming. I did very well on our lecture exams and (hopefully) am in a good position for Step 1.

I think the poster above who said "different study styles" hit the nail on the head. I can't memorize to save my life, because my brain just turns off when I read one of the super-outliney bullet point texts -- it's like trying to memorize arbitrary lists of information to me. That said, if I read a broad background of the material, I can often reason my way to the right answer without knowing the specific point about which the question is asking.

For some reason I think BRS Path is underrated....yes its smaller than RR, but realistically no one can memorize ALL of RR. BRS? You could realistically know 99% of that for step 1

For some reason I think BRS Path is underrated....yes its smaller than RR, but realistically no one can memorize ALL of RR. BRS? You could realistically know 99% of that for step 1

And not do well. I did BRS path, and added a **** ton to it. RR path, especially with the widely available pirated Goljan Audio (which you shouldnt use, because its illegal), makes for a potent force. You do have to understand path for RR to make sense, though. Great review, not a great primary source

I did Robbins Review (40-50), Lippincott's Path (40-50), and PreTest (100) for my courses. PreTest wasn't all that helpful. Some people like getting a head start on Step Studying, so get a Kaplan or a UWorld early. Thats ALOT of questions.

Either Qbank allows you to select "Path" and "Organ System" to cover only the questions youll be studying. But honestly, if you're going to get a Qbank, you might as well also do some review from first year, prepping yourself for Step.

If you are planning on doing only one bank then get Uworld.

If you want to do one for learning during second year, then get one for practice after second year is over, get Kaplan first (ReKaps and FA references, questions are harder) then practice with UWorld (interface is exactly like the real deal, questions more similar).
I appreciate the advice. Did a trial with Kaplan Online QBank yesterday. When I tried GI and then Physio, it only gave me 5 questions. I suspect if I did some path combinations, I could get more. I wish there was a Guyton Hall type review for path. Having 130 questions and explanations for Physio was amazing! Robbins Qbook and PreTest may be the way to go for now...

I've been hesitant to write on this post for fear of being labelled a gunner, but w/e, I like learning the material well. This was my strategy for our first 2nd year path block: Inflammation. For a 3 week block, Week 1: read and outlined Big Robbins. Week 2: annotated this outline into Goljan, Week 3: questions, review note service to make sure I didn't miss anything, and review Goljan aloud with a study partner.

Yes, Big is a bit much, BUT if you don't mind reading, it's actually interesting and nothing too crazy to get through. Basically, you wind up front-loading each block and being relatively relaxed come the 3rd week of the block. Some classmates might call me crazy, but it worked for me, so I fully intend on keeping it up.

Conversely, I hammered Goljan (RR Path and his audio) during the second year and otherwise mostly just studied class notes, and not only did I do well on Step I, but here at the end of M3 I'm still able to rattle off pathophysiological mechanisms and such that the majority of my classmates never even heard of. Maybe none of them were using Robbins either, but I don't think that my approach in any way hindered my long term understanding of pathophys, and in fact probably helped it.

Conversely, I hammered Goljan (RR Path and his audio) during the second year and otherwise mostly just studied class notes, and not only did I do well on Step I, but here at the end of M3 I'm still able to rattle off pathophysiological mechanisms and such that the majority of my classmates never even heard of. Maybe none of them were using Robbins either, but I don't think that my approach in any way hindered my long term understanding of pathophys, and in fact probably helped it.
This makes me happy :D

Exactly! :cool::cool:

whew, i thought you said baskin-robbins...i thought someone discovered my secret strategy...

RR path, especially with the widely available pirated Goljan Audio (which you shouldnt use, because its illegal), makes for a potent force.
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg