RR Blue Margin Notes: To read or not to read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vaca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever read through Goljan all of the way and I am really regretting it. (I have listened to his audio lectures twice though.)

I have my test in 7 days. Would it be beneficial to read the margin notes since I haven't read the book yet? Or would I be better off reading the entire chapters that I am weak in?

Members don't see this ad.

If you listened to his audio (which I havent even done and wish I did, but doubt I will have time for now), I wouldn't worry too much. But you will probably benefit more from focusing on the chapters youre weak in rather than reading every margin note.

my personal opinion is that a lot of his book paints a great big picture and fills in a lot of details. but if you are a week out, i would just skim the blue margins, hopefully you already know most of the details.

his book is great for all the "eureka" and "light bulb going off moments" but if your a week out, i wouldn't do it (maybe in the weak areas if they aren't too much). just memorize blue notes

Members don't see this ad :)
my exam is in 3 weeks, and i am debating if i should read goljan blue margins from RR. do u think it'll be helpful going through 50 pages (only blue margins) a day?

im using uw/fa, goljan audios, and hy anatomy/neuroanatomy (just for pics)
Since a lot of my classmates are taking DIT or other review courses and i am not taking any, i am afraid i might miss something. :(

my exam is in 3 weeks, and i am debating if i should read goljan blue margins from RR. do u think it'll be helpful going through 50 pages (only blue margins) a day?

Why wouldn't you just read the book? What else are people studying for the test? I don't understand.

Yeah, if you have 3 weeks and haven't read Goljan, what you should do is obvious. OP, I'd do a little of both. Go through the margin notes, and then read any chapters that have a bunch of info you aren't familiar with.

thanks for the advice. i'll def read 2 chapters a day starting tomorrow. Any more advice regarding prep will be appreciated.

So I didn't get around to reading as much Goljan as I had planned. I am now planning to spend four straight hours of reading Goljan (blue margins) the day before the exam. What are some of the better places to read?

Are there certain chapters that really aren't too high yield? (It seems like in his audio he goes over a lot of Step 2 stuff that isn't as important... Does the same go for his book?)

So I didn't get around to reading as much Goljan as I had planned. I am now planning to spend four straight hours of reading Goljan (blue margins) the day before the exam. What are some of the better places to read?

I feel like GI is pretty high yield, heme, maybe CV if you're not good at it, and the first few chapters are the book are high yield too. You should be pretty solid on the rest of the systems by now.

Are there certain chapters that really aren't too high yield? (It seems like in his audio he goes over a lot of Step 2 stuff that isn't as important... Does the same go for his book?)

The physical injury one isn't that great.

Generally speaking, I felt the systems chapters were more high yield than the general pathology chapters (except Neoplasia which is high yield), so definitely spend more time on them.

I personally love the whole book, it is by far my favorite med school book.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm finding that reading the blue margin notes is a complete waste of time.. I read a few chapters and im like wtf is this, why not just read FA if I want a summary, at least that has my annotated notes in it.

I am instead reading the drug chapters in HY behavioral science and I am picking up mounds of information that I have been unable to retain especially on the specifics of the different TCAs and SSRIs etc.

Generally speaking, I felt the systems chapters were more high yield than the general pathology chapters (except Neoplasia which is high yield), so definitely spend more time on them.

I personally love the whole book, it is by far my favorite med school book.

yes..i read 2-3chaps a day, and I'm learning a lot from that book.
I used to read BRS in my path class, and i didnt really like it!!!:eek:

Hello,
Can anyone send me those Golan blue margin notes? Is it the same goljan 35 pages or a different one?
Please send me here [email protected].
TIA
It's the text in blue in the margins of his book, Rapid Review Pathology. Not really something someone can "send to you" unless they took the time to retype that information into a document. Just buy the book, it's like $40

Reactions: 1 user