RR path student consult questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for my second pass of RR path, I wanted to do some of those USMLE Student consult questions that come with the book. I want to do targeted practice, ie. after reading RBC chapter, do RBC questions. Are you guys having issues with creating a test like that? I've tried and it doesn't seem to work, it just doesn't respond. It only responds and creates tests when you pick the selection for random topics.

I know I can do webpath, but I've done those already over the year for my first pass. I wanted to try something different and see if these Student Consult questions are any good.

Help would be appreciated. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

It definitely used to work for me, but I haven't done them in over a month. Just went to the site to try to make one and got this message:

Verity Search Failed. The most likely cause of this is that the verity collection does not exist for this course.

hmm. I see, thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try again later.

How are the questions by the way? Good, okay, crappy? Relative to webpath?

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't use webpath.
They're good for re-enforcing RR Path (I know, shocking). Many of the questions are vignettes that Dr. G says in his lectures. They are good for reinforcing path -- that's for sure.

I was able to create specific tests using USMLE Consult by just checking the topic I wanted. I also had the latest edition of Goljan RR. Which version do you have? I wonder if the 2nd ed doesn't have this choice but the 3rd does.

I thought they were good to review if you have the time because like laker-boy said, it's good at re-enforcing Goljan but in terms of "usmle-like" questions, they are poor compared to Rx, Qbank,. or UW.

I was able to create specific tests using USMLE Consult by just checking the topic I wanted. I also had the latest edition of Goljan RR. Which version do you have? I wonder if the 2nd ed doesn't have this choice but the 3rd does.

I thought they were good to review if you have the time because like laker-boy said, it's good at re-enforcing Goljan but in terms of "usmle-like" questions, they are poor compared to Rx, Qbank,. or UW.

I have the 3rd edition, and currently have the same problem as the OP. When you click whatever specific topic/chapter you want, you hit "calculate number of questions" or whatever it is, and it gives you the error I listed above.

About a month or two ago it was working fine.

It definitely used to work for me, but I haven't done them in over a month. Just went to the site to try to make one and got this message:

Verity Search Failed. The most likely cause of this is that the verity collection does not exist for this course.

I faced the same problem yesterday and wrote to them using the 'contact us' feature on the same website. They replied that it was a technical glitch and will be resolved in a week's time.

I faced the same problem yesterday and wrote to them using the 'contact us' feature on the same website. They replied that it was a technical glitch and will be resolved in a week's time.

Wow. Way too slow. I'm going to write to them too, I don't get why they can't fix it in like a day's time. Definitely won't be recommending USMLE Consult to anyone.

They still haven't fixed it. I contacted them and they emailed me back saying tech's are working on it but they can't give me an estimated time of when it will be fixed. :thumbdown:

Terrible timing, this is boards/finals season right now. :thumbdown:

I guess I have to smash through WebPath again, argh, was hoping to drill in RR review better with the Consult questions.

I just NOW realized that Goljan 3rd edition doesn't have practice questions at the end of the book. His previous editions had ~ 100q's I think.

I just NOW realized that Goljan 3rd edition doesn't have practice questions at the end of the book. His previous editions had ~ 100q's I think.

I forgot about that, yeah the 2nd edition has random questions at the end of the book. ~100 is correct. I was hoping to do the online Consult question to pick topics as a targeted. It has over 400q's. Alas, that didn't happen. Whatever, webpath is good for targeted practice, and I will be doing the integrative and cummulative assessment at the end of Robbin's Q-book before my path final. If I have time I will look at Consult (if they freakin fix it), or the 2nd edition questions since I own that book as well.

I forgot about that, yeah the 2nd edition has random questions at the end of the book. ~100 is correct. I was hoping to do the online Consult question to pick topics as a targeted. It has over 400q's. Alas, that didn't happen. Whatever, webpath is good for targeted practice, and I will be doing the integrative and cummulative assessment at the end of Robbin's Q-book before my path final. If I have time I will look at Consult (if they freakin fix it), or the 2nd edition questions since I own that book as well.
I know what you mean by targeted review. The questions in the previous Goljan editions are all mixed so that would only be useful for a cumulative review. I know that Goljan wrote those questions himself so they're legit.

Robbins Q-book is great. I haven't searched around webpath that much so I can't speak for it - but I only hear positive review about it. All in all, I think your strategy is good because you are doing a lot of questions. I think that will prepare you well for your path final and you'll be extra prepared for USMLE stuff.

This really is frustrating not having the studentconsult questions working the way we'd like for a targeted review. When you're using RR Path as a primary study resource, it's nice to actually test yourself on the material you just studied to see how much you retained (akin to using USMLERx or FlashFacts while going through FA), despite the fact that the questions aren't the highest quality USMLE style questions out there.

Taking a week to fix this is pretty unacceptable.

FYI, it seems to be working now.

'now' didn't last too long. My Path Q bank is all gone. When I click to open, they flash for less than a second what seems to be an error message (not enough time to read). Anyone else facing this prob?

Btw, did you notice that Goljan 3rd ed has a 15 page errata?:thumbdown:

Yeah there is a lot of errata, but most seems to be spelling mistakes and blue margin mistakes like leaving out a word.

As for usmleconsult. They suck.

Since my path final is tomorrow, I've just started using usmleconsult random timed blocks. No need for targeted practice anymore when we have a comprehensive final.

The questions are actually pretty good. Unfortunately they sometimes have errors: I have came across 2-3 questions out of 100 so far that have a question with the wrong picture after it. Minor annoyances. Overall, I give it a :thumbup: for comprehensive review. Too bad we couldn't use it for targeted practice.

the questions are pretty good (i had the occasional image mix-up as well but no big deal).

but am I just dumb or are the averages on these questions ridiculously high?

the questions are pretty good (i had the occasional image mix-up as well but no big deal).

but am I just dumb or are the averages on these questions ridiculously high?

Averages are high. If you look at it, only ~800 people have done the random tests that I have done. Only ultra gunners and Goljan Fanboys like me (who have read the book almost 2x so far) do the Consult questions.