RSV/Flu forum call.... seen it yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's play SDN epidemiology, shall we?

I saw my first RSV of the season last night. Still waiting on my first flu.

Given that we'll likely miss lots because we don't bother testing, let's see how often and where it's popping up, shall we? I suggest a running tally.

RSV

Jeff698: Central Texas. 1

Flu

Jeff698: Central Texas. 0

Anyone else want to play? Just copy the list into a new post and update away. I think it'd be useful to include not hitters as well. I always think it is interesting to see when/where bugs rear their heads.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

RSV

Jeff698: Central Texas. 1
st0rmin: WA state - 2

Flu

Jeff698: Central Texas. 0
st0rmin: WA state - 3

1 flu here in northeastern OK

No RSV yet but I havent been looking very hard either

Members don't see this ad :)
Are those +ve flu's the Rapid Flu EIA or the PCR? We've had 12 +ve rapid flu's this year in the hospital (per our ID folks) and not a single one of them has been culture or PCR +ve. Of course, by the time the PCR comes back they've only got 2 days left of Tamiflu.

We've had RSV in Charlotte for a few weeks now and just had our first confirmed case of flu this week.

I don't know how much is RSV, but we are seeing TONS of bronchiolitis here as well. Almost half of our Peds board on any given night says "difficulty breathing" and most of those are little wheezers with bronchiolitis.

No flu here in the Raleigh/durham area, but there was a story in the paper about one of the peds ED's in the area and RSV.

Last year Nov-Dec RSV: 90

This year Nov-Dec RSV: 140

We're drowning in it. And the little buggers are sharing it with everyone else.

No flu here in the Raleigh/durham area, but there was a story in the paper about one of the peds ED's in the area and RSV.

Last year Nov-Dec RSV: 90

This year Nov-Dec RSV: 140

We're drowning in it. And the little buggers are sharing it with everyone else.

You're definitely sharing it with your down east cousins.

In Northern Virginia, tons of RSV here. (Likely 12-15/day conservatively)
Saw my first 2 + influenzas last week.

Also, the CDC says there have been no flu cases documented in North Carolina yet this year.

EASTERN PA

RSV - Present and accounted for

FLU - Present and accounted for (Our hospital is finally letting us perform rapid flu tests as the diseasae in the population is no sufficient)

several RSV, no flu.
Central Oklahoma

Had my first documented flu the other night.

Take care,
Jeff

Also, the CDC says there have been no flu cases documented in North Carolina yet this year.

Hospitals must not be reporting then, because I know we've had a hand full here in Greensboro.