Ruined my Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmony14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed at McGovern on 10/9 and I thought it went really great. However, one of the interviewers asked me a weird question. They wanted to know how many schools I interviewed at. I was upfront with them about the Texan schools (which was most of them) because I'm terrible at hiding stuff. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I am worried that it may have affected my chances. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at McGovern on 10/9 and I thought it went really great. However, one of the interviewers asked me a weird question. They wanted to know how many schools I interviewed at. I was upfront with them about the Texan schools (which was most of them) because I'm terrible at hiding stuff. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I am worried that it may have affected my chances. What do you guys think?
How would anyone knowing how many schools you have interviewed at affect anything?? Also looking at your sig, you're already accepted to 2 MD schools so...? Congratulations are in order!!!

In before @Goro prescribes that sweet sweet Xanax.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
How would anyone knowing how many schools you have interviewed at affect anything?? In before @Goro prescribes that sweet sweet Xanax.
I thought some schools avoid offering acceptances to students they know might not commit.

I had spent a lot of time at UTSW (for research purposes) and I am worried that he believes I'll probably get accepted and commit there.

Maybe I do need the xanax from @Goro

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok am I the only person who thinks it was inappropriate to ask that question ?????(how many schools you interviewed at )

Reactions: 5 users
I thought some schools avoid offering acceptances to students they know might not commit.

I had spent a lot of time at UTSW (for research purposes) and I am worried that he believes I'll probably get accepted and commit there.

Maybe I do need the xanax from @Goro
Technically that holds some water, but asking "how many interviews have you had" is a terrible way of assessing that. I'm gonna call that bolded statement dumb in that instance (not you, OP, but any school that does that...which should be none) because interviewing at multiple places as a marker for "not committing" is a terrible recruitment strategy. It's all a game and everyone knows how it's played. It is improper for anyone to assume that. If that were the case, you should only apply and interview at one and only one school which is the school you matriculate to...which is nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ok am I the only person who thinks it was inappropriate to ask that question ?????(how many schools you interviewed at )
Maybe not inappropriate...but maybe anxiety-producing, uncouth or distasteful at worst in the eyes of the interviewee. In reality, the interviewer is likely asking in lieu of other small-talk like "where are you from?" etc. Highly doubt anyone cares. Especially in October. Maybe in Feb/March if they ask, it'd be weird if the interviewee only had 1 interview.

It's not uncommon for interviewers to ask that along with "where else have you/are you going to interview?" etc.

The key is how you react to it from "[the truth]" to "I'm sorry, I just don't feel comfortable answering that question because I don't have all of the information yet and nothing is set in stone...I'm trying to find the best fit for me and my medical education"

Don't worry, those interviewees can make the schools sweat come spring-time and they are awaiting you to accept their acceptance lol

Last edited:
Totally inappropriate question for the interviewer / school to ask. Out of bounds.

I'm gonna call that bolded statement dumb (not you, OP, but any school that does that...which should be none) because interviewing at multiple places as a marker for "not committing" is a terrible recruitment strategy. It's all a game and everyone knows how it's played. It is improper for anyone to assume that. If that were the case, you should only apply and interview at one and only one school which is the school you matriculate to...which is nonsense.

I know it's definitely a thing. I know high-stat applicants are advised to avoid applying to too many low-tier schools due to some time of screening. Maybe it more so applies to offering secondaries/interviews rather than acceptances.

I know it's definitely a thing. I know high-stat applicants are advised to avoid applying to too many low-tier schools due to some time of screening. Maybe it more so applies to offering secondaries/interviews rather than acceptances.
Sorry, I edited my original post to reflect what I truly meant. Yes, yield rate is something institutions want to keep high... my point was that asking "how many interviews have you had" in October is an awful way to measure "commitment."

You didn’t do anything wrong. Don’t worry about it. Maybe the interviewer was just making conversation.

Don't worry about it.

When I interviewed at McGovern, I talked for 12 minutes of my 20 minutes interview about my research, then concluded by saying "and that's why I don't want to do research anymore". Then, when she tried to salvage me by telling me there were other kinds of dry research like public health, I told her about how I was taking a medical geography class because "I had a hole in my schedule and nothing else to do".

You weren't me so you're good :clap:

Don't worry about it.

When I interviewed at McGovern, I talked for 12 minutes of my 20 minutes interview about my research, then concluded by saying "and that's why I don't want to do research anymore". Then, when she tried to salvage me by telling me there were other kinds of dry research like public health, I told her about how I was taking a medical geography class because "I had a hole in my schedule and nothing else to do".

You weren't me so you're good :clap:

Lol. I won't say this happened at McGovern, but I emphasized that I won't be doing research as a physician because I would prefer more patient interaction even though the research was the strongest aspect of my application.

p.s. My signature quote is an anime quote haha

Lol. I won't say this happened at McGovern, but I emphasized that I won't be doing research as a physician because I would prefer more patient interaction even though the research was the strongest aspect of my application.

p.s. My signature quote is an anime quote haha

I basically said “it pisses me off when I do the same thing for three months and nothing works”

My common sense just completely left me during that interview. Goes without saying I didn’t match there lol.

Research was also a major pillar of my application - I think I was closing in on 1600 hours with publications, posters, and oral presentations. I’m just not really interested in the day-to-day; still find it neat, don’t see myself doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users