Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Rule of thumb: 1 source per subject???

Discussion in 'Step I' started by swtiepie711, Jan 4, 2009.

1. swtiepie711

swtiepie711 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi All -sorry to tweak an earlier thread & repost but the other one had about 100 views & zero replies so I'm posing a similar question but a little more broadly:

Is the general rule of thumb for Step 1 "pick 1 review book per subject & just stick with that?"

I've heard picking more sources can mean you get overwhelmed, don't get through all of them, etc.

If so... if you have access to a courses material (i.e. Kaplan), do pp just use that for their one source or do pp tend to use then Kaplan + 1 other book per subject?? Thanks for any thoughts :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc20

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    usually just one source such as kaplan for every subject and stick to that and then a review book such as first aid and qbanks!!!
    do not try to pick 1 book per subject while studying for step, the stack of books alone can be over whelming

4. swtiepie711

swtiepie711 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Doc20, thanks for the reply! Quick question - you said "one source such as Kaplan for every subject" but then said "do not try to pick 1 book per subject?" Would you mind clarifying? Thanks!

5. ZonaRidicularis

2+ Year Member

#4 ZonaRidicularis, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  6. Twitch

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dub your list above as best of breed. Great choices :thumbup:

7. laxman310

laxman310 TheManWithAPlan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It all depends on your knowledge base. If you are scoring at an average (i.e. 220) level, you can stick to FA, Goljan, and BRS phys with some supplementation from HY Neuro. I personally liked Levinson's Immuno. I didn't use any extra resources for Micro or pharm.

So the rule of thumb is ONE book for the major topics (Path, Phys). And maybe one book for minor topics, but focusing in on the relevant chapters.