Running out of time on physical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyInitialsAreJC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For like 3 or 4 of my last few practice tests ive been running out of time like 10 questions out - and scoring significantly lower even if i finish.

i used to get 11s and 12s in PS and now im getting 8s and 9s.

i dont know what happened and its freakin me out

any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

MyInitialsAreJC said:
For like 3 or 4 of my last few practice tests ive been running out of time like 10 questions out - and scoring significantly lower even if i finish.

i used to get 11s and 12s in PS and now im getting 8s and 9s.

i dont know what happened and its freakin me out

any suggestions?

Read and think faster.... and get a watch. If you would pace yourself you wouldn't have this problem.

You should be getting to the point where you're doing the vast majority of mathematical questions in your head. The passages aren't that long so even spending 1 minute per question should be plenty. Practice is the only way to make yourself faster. If you have enough exams left, you should be fine in 2 weeks.

I initially misled myself thinking i had 10 mins per passage

really its 8 mins, absolute max...per passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
ive been having the same problem... but on the kaplan ps section... on the aamc i usually finish with about 2-3 mins to spare... im also wondering myself if anyone has any tips on cutting down time in the ps section? thanks

ctgxant said:
ive been having the same problem... but on the kaplan ps section... on the aamc i usually finish with about 2-3 mins to spare... im also wondering myself if anyone has any tips on cutting down time in the ps section? thanks

Today was the first day I took a practice test with a watch to actually look at and what I found is that, if I went over a 2 minute mark on a particular question, it was time to move on. I tend to take tests quickly anyway, so I ended up with about 10 minutes remaining, which gave me time to go back to the questions where I was like "wtf?" So, I say, go through once and if it takes too long to answer one question, move on. And, as the other poster said, roughly pace yourself to where you're spending less than 9 minutes per passage (Since there are 11 passages and several discrete questions).

hey thanks for the tips. i think my trouble is i spend a little too much time reading the passage, but i dont feel comfortable scanning quickly through it as kaplan suggests.

yah do the free standing questions first... also when you do passage questions that take longer than 1 minute... i just skip and come back to later, because sometimes i just need to look at something else and then come back to it... if that doesn't work then i just skip it and move on and see if i have time at the end... I usually finish with 5 to 10 minutes to spare so i just go back to the ones i skipped.