MyInitialsAreJC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
www.myspace.com
Status
Pre-Medical
For like 3 or 4 of my last few practice tests ive been running out of time like 10 questions out - and scoring significantly lower even if i finish.

i used to get 11s and 12s in PS and now im getting 8s and 9s.

i dont know what happened and its freakin me out

any suggestions?

ChymeChancellor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
MyInitialsAreJC said:
For like 3 or 4 of my last few practice tests ive been running out of time like 10 questions out - and scoring significantly lower even if i finish.

i used to get 11s and 12s in PS and now im getting 8s and 9s.

i dont know what happened and its freakin me out

any suggestions?
Read and think faster.... and get a watch. If you would pace yourself you wouldn't have this problem.

WilliamsF1

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You should be getting to the point where you're doing the vast majority of mathematical questions in your head. The passages aren't that long so even spending 1 minute per question should be plenty. Practice is the only way to make yourself faster. If you have enough exams left, you should be fine in 2 weeks.

About the Ads

UofT_475

10+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
I initially misled myself thinking i had 10 mins per passage

really its 8 mins, absolute max...per passage.

ctgxant

10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
ive been having the same problem... but on the kaplan ps section... on the aamc i usually finish with about 2-3 mins to spare... im also wondering myself if anyone has any tips on cutting down time in the ps section? thanks

stiffany

Hurry up and wait...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
ctgxant said:
ive been having the same problem... but on the kaplan ps section... on the aamc i usually finish with about 2-3 mins to spare... im also wondering myself if anyone has any tips on cutting down time in the ps section? thanks
Today was the first day I took a practice test with a watch to actually look at and what I found is that, if I went over a 2 minute mark on a particular question, it was time to move on. I tend to take tests quickly anyway, so I ended up with about 10 minutes remaining, which gave me time to go back to the questions where I was like "wtf?" So, I say, go through once and if it takes too long to answer one question, move on. And, as the other poster said, roughly pace yourself to where you're spending less than 9 minutes per passage (Since there are 11 passages and several discrete questions).

ctgxant

10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
hey thanks for the tips. i think my trouble is i spend a little too much time reading the passage, but i dont feel comfortable scanning quickly through it as kaplan suggests.

viciouz

WesternU 2013
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Chino Hillls
Status
Medical Student
yah do the free standing questions first... also when you do passage questions that take longer than 1 minute... i just skip and come back to later, because sometimes i just need to look at something else and then come back to it... if that doesn't work then i just skip it and move on and see if i have time at the end... I usually finish with 5 to 10 minutes to spare so i just go back to the ones i skipped.

About the Ads