Running out of time on verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else feel strapped for time on verbal? I am using Examkrackers strategy and I still feel like I am strapped for time at the end....any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else feel strapped for time on verbal? I am using Examkrackers strategy and I still feel like I am strapped for time at the end....any advice?

stop looking back no matter what. and stop looking back until you can finish two tests with several minutes to spare.

i also noticed that i'd miss just as many questions if i had wasted lots of extra time looking back.

When I started highlighting, I was able to finish on time. ALWAYS. I swear, it's kept my scores at a solid 9-11 on the verbal.

stop looking back no matter what. and stop looking back until you can finish two tests with several minutes to spare.

i also noticed that i'd miss just as many questions if i had wasted lots of extra time looking back.

Do you mean to not "look back" at the passage while answering the questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, don't dwell too long on a question. Give yourself about 45 seconds per questions and then move on. When you are reading, try not to understand every sentence to detail. The point is the get the main idea.

I was in the same situation. I would often have just about a minute left to answer the last couple questions, which made me panic most of the time and usually end up missing them.

The reason was I would start the test at a casual pace, not really understanding that time is an important factor until it snuck up on me when i have 2 passages to go and only 8 minutes left. :eek:

so i start every test now with a sense of urgency (obviously you don't want to go too fast because you'll be likely to miss something). If you start the test knowing that time is important, and move through the early passages as best you can, you'll have more time left over and won't be so rushed at the end.

I try to break up the passage in paragraphs: try to understand the topic sentence, and main idea of each paragraph as best you can, and just quickly gloss over the details--i was intially getting bogged down trying to understand every sentence, and on some of these passages, you're just like....uh wtf does that mean??? and you lose time. so just stay focused from the start and don't get bogged down would be my advice.