Rural/Exotic/Tropical Medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFSmiley

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know, one of the definite advantages to being a family doc which is too often ignored is there is no better training to be a doctor in a rural/exotic/tropical location.

Just looking for some seasoned attendings to share some cool stories for motivation here in my 4th year.

Anybody here been the lone doctor in a remote Caribbean fishing village? Maybe done a stint as a full scope physician in Baja? What about Alaska or a beautiful lakeside town surrounded by the Rocky Mountains?

Members don't see this ad.

Was in rural Montana. Had a guy who was out hunting get gored in the leg by the horn of some beast he has shot and it reared up to gash him to the bone. One of his hunting party was a nurse and cleansed it really well overnight. I saw him the next day when they finally were able to get into town. I recleansed the wound, put in a drain, and did a triple layer closure as best I could - turned out quite nice. Put him on two abx and pain medicine and sent him home. He did quite well and took care of his leg properly with no adverse effects.

Thanks Dr. CabinBuilder. I do wonder what the beast was now. Moose are known to be quite violent from what I've heard.

Thanks Dr. CabinBuilder. I do wonder what the beast was now. Moose are known to be quite violent from what I've heard.

Trust me it was not a moose. I'm from Alaska, moose stomp you and you do not survive the encounter usually. They don't gore you. I think it was some type of sheep or goat species.