Rural FP vs Med Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hereIcome

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am an MS1 with experience working in a rural area and am dedicated to returning to that world after med school. I came to school anticipating Family Medicine being the best thing for me as a practitioner in a rural area. I definitely want to do GP, but am now hearing about Med Peds and many people seem to think that training is better in general. But I am in school in a VERY urban area and am wondering if I'm getting a biased view toward what is better for this particular type of setting.

I know I want to do rural medicine. Can anyone tell me if FM or Med Peds is better for these areas?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I am an MS1 with experience working in a rural area and am dedicated to returning to that world after med school. I came to school anticipating Family Medicine being the best thing for me as a practitioner in a rural area. I definitely want to do GP, but am now hearing about Med Peds and many people seem to think that training is better in general. But I am in school in a VERY urban area and am wondering if I'm getting a biased view toward what is better for this particular type of setting.

I know I want to do rural medicine. Can anyone tell me if FM or Med Peds is better for these areas?

Do you want to deliver babies?

At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter all that much. It'll become more obvious the further into training you go. All things equal, if you look at a typical med-peds curriculum and compare it to a typical FM curriculum, you'll see that that med-peds spends a lot of time in the hospital compared to FM and gets more exposure to subspecialties belonging to medicine and pediatrics than FM does (cards, GI, ICU, hem-onc, nephro)

FM, otoh, gets more outpatient experience generally, gets more OB, gets more Gyn and women's health in general, more orthopedics, and other surgical subspecialties like ophtho/uro/ENT. Good programs will give you good inpatient experience too, both adult and peds. OB is one difference, but not the big difference.

So, really, it depends on what you mean by rural medicine... and whether or not there's a medical community and resources. There's a difference between being in a small hospital in a small town versus being in a clinic in a small town with a hospital miles away. That being said, rural docs need to be trained broadly which both do well. You have to ask yourself whether or not many months in the ICU is necessary if you could be spending that time on ortho or in surgery rotation practicing your suture skills or gyn. You have limited time to learn what you need, so make use of all of it.

I would suggest that early in your clerkships that you rotate in a rural community just to see what skills are needed to survive when resources are not as available.

Rural communities need ER docs and general surgeons also. But again, it depends on the community you're looking at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your insight! I do not necessarily want to deliver babies, but I really don't know. I do want to be involved in women's health, though, so that's something to consider.

The town I envision returning to (where I just left) has a small hospital and an affiliated clinic. So I suppose either FM or Med/Peds would be relevant if I follow your advice. I will just have to rotate through my clerkships and figure it out then. I was just sort of wondering if I was missing something glaringly obvious and if one was clearly more suited for my goals than the other.

Thank you so much for your insight! I do not necessarily want to deliver babies, but I really don't know. I do want to be involved in women's health, though, so that's something to consider.

The town I envision returning to (where I just left) has a small hospital and an affiliated clinic. So I suppose either FM or Med/Peds would be relevant if I follow your advice. I will just have to rotate through my clerkships and figure it out then. I was just sort of wondering if I was missing something glaringly obvious and if one was clearly more suited for my goals than the other.

I agree with lowbudget and would like to add:

1. IM/peds is a different subculture then FM even though they do similar work. You'll see that their personalities are different. You'll probably find that you fit with one more than the other.

2. Personally, and many share this opinion, IM/peds doesn't train you well for outpatient, but excellent for inpatient.

I agree with lowbudget and would like to add:

1. IM/peds is a different subculture then FM even though they do similar work. You'll see that their personalities are different. You'll probably find that you fit with one more than the other.

2. Personally, and many share this opinion, IM/peds doesn't train you well for outpatient, but excellent for inpatient.

I agree wholeheartedly. However, I'm sure whichever route you take you can gear it to what you want to get out of residency in preparation for the real world.

I was in the OP's shoes, and I applied to both FM and IM/Peds residency programs. I don't know if I want to do OB or not since I had very little exposure during my rotation. At my home school and out on the interview trail I felt that I just fit in better with the FM residents (nothing against IM or Peds residents) and that's the route I wound up taking. I canceled all my Med/Peds interviews. A huge negative for me was that in IM/Peds I would essentially be an intern for two years. A four year residency is fine, but I don't want to be an intern for half of it.

Good Luck OP! You'll figure it out as you go through medical school, and who knows you may find a keen interest in something different.

OB actually is a lot of fun, despite how un-fun OB residents want to make it for you. Don't let that be a distraction. There's a lot of skill involved but, hey, that's why we go through training and learn lifelong. It's just like anything else in medicine.

Rural communities usually have a real hard time recruiting (and retaining) doctors. But if you look at want ads, there's so much demand for FP's in rural communities. I don't know what it's like for Med-Peds.

And, if you decide some time in the future that you don't want to live in a rural community, it's way easier to move back into a super crowded city as a rural doc. And, if you do OB, holy cow, there're so many jobs, good paying jobs, looking for FP-OB's it's ridiculous. And, if you're a rural doctor who does FP-OB looking to move back into the city, it'll be EASY to land an academic job where you can continue to do OB. If... you're interested in OB.

If you are willing to do 4 years of residency anyways, you should consider doing a fellowship. There are Rural Medicine fellowships as well as OB fellowships and hospitalist fellowships (www.aafp.org/fellowships). I don't think any of these would increase your income significantly, but I do think they would make you a better doctor.

A good FM program should offer you good inpatient medicine training comparable to a internal medicine residency. The difference may be that your ventilator management skills, scope skills, and possibly critical care skills may not be as good as the medicine folks. But a good FM program will allow you to obtain this.

Even a good FM program, however, may not get you a pediatric training equivalent to a pediatric residency. It'll get you really good outpatient and general inpatient skills, but a lot of FM programs don't train at super-high-tech tertiary or quaternary children's referral hospital. That being said, most rural communities and a lot of suburban communities don't have capabilities like that anyways, so you can make the argument that training in such facilities may not be pertinent to your future practice.

I don't know. I can see the argument both ways. When I made my decision to go FM, I made a conscience decision to sacrifice the care of Siamese twins, transplant babies, incubator babies, and genetic defect babies to pediatricians. Hmmm... yea, I'm ok with that. I still see plenty of kids and adolescents in the scope I'm comfortable with.

Lastly, remember, to be a true Med-Peds, you have to take 2 boards and keep up your certifications in 2 specialties. That means you study for the boards twice, buy 2 sets of review books, go to 2 board review courses, and do twice the amount of CME. In rural communities, sometimes, it's really hard to get access to these courses/CME's because of distance. And, if you could go, it may be hard to find someone to cover for you to take time out to go. That being said, the Internet has been great to rural communities. But if you're going to be inconvenienced, I'd rather do it one time than have to do it twice.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
If my ultimate goal were to practice in a rural location as an all-ages provider I think I would go the FP route. If minimum time into the field were the goal you've got the 3 vs. 4 year thing going for FP. In the same amount of time as a Med-Peds residency the FP could finish residency and a fellowship of interest (OB, sports med) and even have added quals. And my understanding is the OB fellowship isn't a requisite for having a robust OB component to a rural FM practice (OK FM experts, chime in if I'm off base on this). One board exam instead of two (that seems like no small issue). Probably a lot more FP-rural tracks out there than Med-Peds-rural tracks. Truthfully I think the biggest niche for Med Peds is for those who truly aren't sure if they'll want to specialize in the future and for certain subspecialties that the combined training could be particularly useful for (Cards [adult congenital], Pulmonary [the CF population], and genetics are the ones that would seem to benefit the most in my mind). Somebody alluded to less inpatient management of peds cases in FM residency, but it seems like most residencies have the elective time to add some peds in. If rural were my goal, I'd add in some time getting good at acute rescussitation of neonates and kids (probably emphasis on the former).