Rural FP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about some FP programs that are good for preparing someone for a rural practice. I'm interested in a program that will allow students to do a lot of procedures not usually taught to FP residents as well as good OB exposure.

wbdo

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing that you're from Kansas City, you may want to check out the University of Nebraska's FM program. I think they're ranked 17th-ish in the country for their primary care program (edit: i went back and looked at the source and they're ranked for primary care) and it looks like they have a special FM program w/ rural emphasis. And plus, even though it IS in Nebraska, Omaha really isn't a bad city to live (Metro area of around 850,000).

(From http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/
1203021189] University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine Program
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Department of Family Medicine
983075 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198

Family medicine Jeffrey D. Harrison, MD (402)559-7249
(402)559-6501

[1203021517] University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine Rural Program
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Department of Family Medicine
983075 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198

Family medicine Jeffrey D. Harrison, MD, BS (402)559-5641
(402)559-6501

The University of Arkansas AHECs in Ft. Smith and Pine Bluff allow you to do many procedures -- including OB. During my Family Medicine rotation in Ft. Smith I was given lots of exposure to the OB side of medicine (too much in my opinion), and many of the residents said that they chose the program for that very reason. Several of my classmates did their FM rotation in Pine Bluff and gave similar OB reports, in addition to reporting that they received minor surgical training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas Tech has an FM residency that has an AOA-accredited internship year. They also have a specific rural FM program.

I have read not so good things about Texas Tech (lubbock). A recent residency graduate of the Lubbock residency program posted a bad review earlier this year only to change his review upon gaining employment with the dept. I mean he ripped the program, gave it 1 star then turns around and gives it 5 stars. Something fishy there.

Some think that training at a large urban hospital-based program is the best way to train for rural practice. The only tricky thing is finding enough opportunities to get procedures, especially if you are at an opposed program (which many urban programs are). But if you are aggressive and willing to work a little harder, it can be possible, from what I've heard.

The drawback with rural-based programs is the smaller patient population and not getting the volume and pathology you'd have at a larger center.

Something I am considering is doing a fellowship in rural medicine after my residency to hone some of those procedure skills.

It's a very tough decision...I seem to change my mind once a week about the best way to do it.

raptor5 said:
I have read not so good things about Texas Tech (lubbock). A recent residency graduate of the Lubbock residency program posted a bad review earlier this year only to change his review upon gaining employment with the dept. I mean he ripped the program, gave it 1 star then turns around and gives it 5 stars. Something fishy there.

Oh, but their web site sounds so happy! And everyone is smiling. :laugh:

sophiejane said:
Some think that training at a large urban hospital-based program is the best way to train for rural practice. The only tricky thing is finding enough opportunities to get procedures, especially if you are at an opposed program (which many urban programs are). But if you are aggressive and willing to work a little harder, it can be possible, from what I've heard.

The drawback with rural-based programs is the smaller patient population and not getting the volume and pathology you'd have at a larger center.

Something I am considering is doing a fellowship in rural medicine after my residency to hone some of those procedure skills.

It's a very tough decision...I seem to change my mind once a week about the best way to do it.

This is kind of what I was thinking. I think my ideal location would be at a regional trauma center that has a large hospital and a large patient base, but is in a relatively isolated area so that there are rural satellites attached.

wbdo

WannabeDO said:
This is kind of what I was thinking. I think my ideal location would be at a regional trauma center that has a large hospital and a large patient base, but is in a relatively isolated area so that there are rural satellites attached.

wbdo

Sounds great...if you find it let me know! :)

sophiejane said:
Sounds great...if you find it let me know! :)

There's a program in Lincoln, nebraska, one in Rapid City, SD, also, UW has a program in Anchorage. I know nothing of these programs (other than what I've read on their websites).

WannabeDO said:
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about some FP programs that are good for preparing someone for a rural practice. I'm interested in a program that will allow students to do a lot of procedures not usually taught to FP residents as well as good OB exposure.

wbdo

If you want rural/small city type of setting, you've got it here at Lynchburg Family Medicine in Lynchburg, Virginia. That's right, Where in Virginia, you ask? We are an unopposed program, affiliated with University of Virginia, located within the Blue Ridge Mountains, and have great faculty and residents (DO/MDs). We have 2 offices, one right in lyncburg that we mainly rotate and another where we rotate right in the mountainous area called Big Island. We also rotate through 2 hospitals about 3 miles apart for the different rotations.
We are taught several procedures such as colposcopy, sebaceous cyst removal, sigmoidoscopy, ingrown toenail removal, suturing, just to name a few. We have teaching sessions once a month.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask

Good luck. :)