Rural job, reasonable hourly pay for ER coverage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLC

A Punk Rock Country Doc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m going rural in a few months, there will be a contract addendum to negotiate hourly pay for ER shifts (a few a month). This is a very small ED, 4-beds, very low volume.

Anyone have input on what a reasonable hourly rate should be? This will be in addition to what is already a very good contract for primary care services.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m going rural in a few months, there will be a contract addendum to negotiate hourly pay for ER shifts (a few a month). This is a very small ED, 4-beds, very low volume.

Anyone have input on what a reasonable hourly rate should be? This will be in addition to what is already a very good contract for primary care services.
This is kind of a lower-mid range
$170/hr for 12-15k facility single coverage
$150-170 for 9-12k facility
$130-150 for 6-9k
$100-130 for <6k

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is kind of a lower-mid range
$170/hr for 12-15k facility single covwrafe
$150-170 for 9-12k facility
$130-150 for 6-9k
$100-130 for <6k

We’re about 4k per year, and their initial offer is right in the middle of your <6k range so I guess that’s good.

We’re about 4k per year, and their initial offer is right in the middle of your <6k range so I guess that’s good.
Ya, if they let you do 24 hrs shifts then you get paid to sleep, essentially $200/hr for the 12 hours you're actually working. But of course, you're gonna be doing codes on the floor, admissions... Make sure they pay your liability.