Rural Medicine Loan Repayment Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDtoMDforme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to SDN, so bear with me if I've posted in the wrong section here. I'm currently a 3rd year pharmacy student who is seriously considering medical school post-graduation. My biggest concern (like all professional students) is loan repayment. I have heard that in some states there are programs that pay in full or in part for medical school, provided you agree to set up shop in a "rural" healthcare provider shortage area for some number of years after graduation/residency. I'm really interested in primary care, so this sounds like a great deal to me.

Does anyone have any experience with such programs or know where I might find information on these types of programs. I'm looking more in the southeast, but if you know about programs elsewhere, that would be great too...I'm flexible :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm new to SDN, so bear with me if I've posted in the wrong section here. I'm currently a 3rd year pharmacy student who is seriously considering medical school post-graduation. My biggest concern (like all professional students) is loan repayment. I have heard that in some states there are programs that pay in full or in part for medical school, provided you agree to set up shop in a "rural" healthcare provider shortage area for some number of years after graduation/residency. I'm really interested in primary care, so this sounds like a great deal to me.

Does anyone have any experience with such programs or know where I might find information on these types of programs. I'm looking more in the southeast, but if you know about programs elsewhere, that would be great too...I'm flexible :rolleyes:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rural+medicine+loan+repayment+program

AAMC page has the list of all the programs by state... I found that in about 2 seconds. Probably longer than it took you to write that post.

Hi all,

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rural+medicine+loan+repayment+program

AAMC page has the list of all the programs by state... I found that in about 2 seconds. Probably a shorter time than it took you to write that post.

Hi all,

Haha, welcome to SDN as you can see people can get a little uptight at times. Dont take it personally. The previous poster is right, there is a lot of info at the AAMC site. Like anything there are positives and negatives to these programs and I would never advise someone to undertake the entirety of medical school (and all it entails) based upon one (future) government program. Especially poignant these days, eh?

There are lots of programs out there to help repay loans. One of the most used is working as a physician. :) Most physicians have little trouble paying back their loans. Its not fun or exciting but its doable, doctors do it every day.

So I would advise (not that you asked) you to make your decision on pursuing medical school aside from currently available loan repayment programs.

Just my two cents from having been through it and looking at the programs myself these days. (I chose a military option by the way).