Rural medicine rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess the two main schools that I will be considering are Touro and CCOM but I asm also interested in PCOM and NOVA....however, this latter pair of schools both have required rural medicine rotations (I'm more interested in serving urban underserved...)

1) Anyone from Touro or CCOM let me know if there are required rural med rotations there (I haven't found any looking at the web pages of either of these schools)

2) Can any PCOM or NOVA interviewees/students let us know what is involved in the rural med rotations. I think they are 2 months and 3 months at those schools respectively. Do you go and live in a rural area to do these or commute? Where are they done?

just trying to ensure my school applications reflect my real interests...
thanks!
;)
onwis

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I interviewed at Nova a couple of weeks ago and they did talk about the rural medicine program. You rotate for 3 months (I believe during 4th year). However, apparently the name "rural" medicine is a bit of a misnomer. At Nova you can do at least some of this rotation in "underserved" sites, including inner-city Miami or even in some area prisons(!). But some students have also said that this is one of the best rotations because you get a lot more hands-on experience than when you're in a hospital setting with a bunch of other students.

Say premeddeac, How is the interview(s)structured at NOVA? I have one scheduled there for 11/2. I hear that there is one panel interview. Is that correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Slingblade,
The interview at Nova is a panel. When I was there earlier this month, there were 8 students and two panels of interviewers. One panel had 4 people, the other 3. Basically they sit you in a room for about 30 mins and ask you mostly normal types of questions: why DO, tell about activities/research, etc. Also be prepared to explain any weaknesses in your application, they pretty much do this to everyone to see how you react. Check out interviewfeedback.com for some of the other questions they tend to ask. Anything else let me know.

Is it nerve racking telling your story with everyone else sitting there watching and listening? Or...was everyone so focused that they didn't even notice each other? I had a panel interview once about 10 or 12 years ago and I remember being somewhat apprehensive. Any thoughts?

They take you individually into the room with the panel - 1 interviewee to 3-4 interviewers in a room.

I had Dr Terry in my group. I'll call that an interesting experience. Not as bad as he was made out to be - although he did keep me on my toes and even have me back pedalling on a few questions. Dr Terry dominated my interview - asking 75% of the Q's.

Hopefully, I have an answer tomorrow on yea/nay - as I was part of the first interview group also...

-A

BTW, regarding rural/underserved rotations... are they a requirement of the AOA? I noticed ever school I interviewed at had them - although varying commitments (2-3 months)...

-A