Rural Medicine?? WTF^^

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gmw1386

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that many of the DO schools place emphasis on rural medicine and seem to want all their applicants to have an interest in it. Well this also seems to limit the number of schools to apply to since I don't have any interest in rural medicine.

Would it really be a bad idea for someone not interested un rural medicine to go to a school like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Many DO schools focus on primary care medicine. Rural areas are the most underserved areas in primary care in the US. So, when these schools establish themselves in a rural setting, and their mission statements state they focus on rural, primary care medicine, you shouldn't be surprised that they look for people who want to do RPC medicine. That being said, when they choose their candidates they tend to choose people from more rural areas, not always, but it's a pretty good rule. So it's not like they grab their applicants, put them into strangle hold, and force them into rural primary care. They already want to do it. That's not always the case as I know people who are planning on going back into a more urban setting, but these schools do have mission statements they like to fulfill, and they look for the right person to fill it. Also, when it is time for you to choose a residency, and a place to live, whether tim-buk-to, BFE, the moon, it doesn't matter, if you are competitive, your school can't force you into rural primary care if you don't want to. However, you may have a hard time gaining entry to some of these places if you tell them your plans.

actually, i've always looked at "underserved" populations, rural or whatever, as being areas in which there may be some good opportunities for a family doc to establish a successful, and busy practice.

after all, it's probably better for the bottom line that setting up in an "overserved" (that screams competition/oversaturation to me) area....

Members don't see this ad :)
cfdavid said:
actually, i've always looked at "underserved" populations, rural or whatever, as being areas in which there may be some good opportunities for a family doc to establish a successful, and busy practice.

after all, it's probably better for the bottom line that setting up in an "overserved" (that screams competition/oversaturation to me) area....

It's not the life after rural medicine that i'm concerned with, as much as the time in school. Will I be taught a phiosophy very different from other "non-rural" based schools? I'm know they all teach the same stuff, just is it much more conncentrated on RM than other school?

Gmw1386 said:
It's not the life after rural medicine that i'm concerned with, as much as the time in school. Will I be taught a phiosophy very different from other "non-rural" based schools? I'm know they all teach the same stuff, just is it much more conncentrated on RM than other school?

Well, I personally don't think it would be that big a difference. However, some of the more primary care oriented schools will have differing amounts of time spent during 3rd and 4th year rotations in the different specialties.

For example, MSU-COM allocates a substantial amount of time to family medicine during 3rd year. It's a very large block of family medicine.

Some schools that I know of also have rural medicine options for their rotations etc., but those seem to be special programs. So, in my opinion, it's just the different amounts of time spent in a given rotation. However, there are always electives if you want to get extra time into an area of your interest. That way, you'll have a better feel for pursuing a residency in such an area.

So, I don't think it's that big a deal, really. Not enough to get too worried about.

One school I know of has a program where the preceptorships are set up with a rural physician and there are some extra seminars, etc. Basically you would do your FP rotations with the physician you are assigned to and live out at the site when doing those rotations. The student is encouraged to become part of the community as much as possible. This gives them a flavor as to what rural medicine is like.

Having said that, it's a competitive 'track' while you're in medical school and obviously it's not required. It's a good way to get more experience as the rural physicians see a variety of problems and most do their own procedures.

It's up to the student to apply for it if they're interested and they are certainly not forced.

Gmw1386 said:
I've noticed that many of the DO schools place emphasis on rural medicine and seem to want all their applicants to have an interest in it. Well this also seems to limit the number of schools to apply to since I don't have any interest in rural medicine.

Would it really be a bad idea for someone not interested un rural medicine to go to a school like that?

Just because they provide training in rural medicine, doesn't mean you have to do it.

This should not "limit" the schools you apply to. That would be silly.

Gmw1386 said:

The difference is you will spend a month or two doing clinicals in rural areas. It will be a good experience for you. You don't learn everything standing behind other medical students, residents, and interns doing scutwork in an urban teaching hospital.

Gmw1386 said:

If you would be more comfortable going to a school that does not emphasize rural medicine, there are still plenty of DO options. PCOM, NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, CCOM, COMP, and NSU-COM are just a few that are not rural medicine oriented.

PCOM has you do a rotation at their rural clinic in the middle of PA your fourth year and also do two rotations of urban medicine. The advantage of this is you get to see soem really screwed up things because of the lack of primary care. There is no focus on rural medicine just a focus on the underserved

Gmw1386 said:

It's my understanding that osteopathic schools tend to serve rural areas for historical reasons; the early schools saw a need not being fulfilled by the allopathic schools. (See the book "The DOs" by Gevitz for details)

It's not to say that allopathic schools don't want their grads to serve rural areas; on the contrary, an applicant with the ambition of serving these areas or with family in and ties to these areas is going to look very good to an admissions committee at almost any school except maybe for research schools like Harvard.

A neurologist D.O. told me that in her experience (Pennsylvania) some of the DO interns were more knowledgeable about hands on medical care than their allo colleagues, even more advanced colleagues, to the point where they were "given the beeper". Why? Because many DO students in rural schools tend to work in rural free clinics, gaining valuable experience while city students might tend not to.

Just a few cents' worth to think about ;)

DaveinDallas said:
One school I know of has a program where the preceptorships are set up with a rural physician and there are some extra seminars, etc. Basically you would do your FP rotations with the physician you are assigned to and live out at the site when doing those rotations. The student is encouraged to become part of the community as much as possible. This gives them a flavor as to what rural medicine is like.

Having said that, it's a competitive 'track' while you're in medical school and obviously it's not required. It's a good way to get more experience as the rural physicians see a variety of problems and most do their own procedures.

It's up to the student to apply for it if they're interested and they are certainly not forced.

being a student at school who value rural medicine, do you guys think it will affect my chance to get into combative resident.
or i will have the same chance like anyone else graduate from other school.
thank you

JO300 said:
being a student at school who value rural medicine, do you guys think it will affect my chance to get into combative resident.
thank you

No. I think the way you spell might affect your chances though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Static Line said:
No. I think the way you spell might affect your chances though.

Thanks for the comment. Everybody has his or her weakness and spelling is my weakness and I am working very hard to improve it.

JO300 said:
Thanks for the comment. Everybody has his or her weakness and spelling is my weakness and I am working very hard to improve it.

myne two

JO300 said:

there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between spelling and saying an entirely different word

if you can't tell the difference between "combative" and "competitive" you have NO BUSINESS in medicine

OSUdoc08 said:
there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between spelling and saying an entirely different word

if you can't tell the difference between "combative" and "competitive" you have NO BUSINESS in medicine

I'm going to take a guess that English is that posters 2nd language....if not...then yes that may be a problem...

Taus said:
I'm going to take a guess that English is that posters 2nd language....if not...then yes that may be a problem...

It is my 2nd language. and I am working to improve it.
what about my question.
Being a student at a school, which values rural medicine, do you guys think it will affect my chance to get into competitive residents.
or I will have the same chance like anyone else, who will be graduate from other schools.

Thank you

JO300 said:
what about my question.
Being a student at a school, which values rural medicine, do you guys think it will affect my chance to get into competitive residents.
or I will have the same chance like anyone else, who will be graduate from other schools.

Thank you

Being a student at a school, which values rural medicine, do you guys think it will affect my chance to get into competitive residencies*.

or <will I>* have the same chance like anyone else, who will be graduating* from other schools.

(just thought i'd help you out) :)

btw (by the way) - what is your first language?

JO300 said:
thank you

Personally, I'm not concerned about my residency chances at this point. Most of the rotations, other than FP/Geriatrics, are done at the major hospitals in the DFW metroplex. I figure that rural medicine will expose me to patients I may not see in the big city.

From everything I've been told, residency is about board scores and how you work with people in your rotations. In your recommendation letter that you get from your Dean, the comments of the physicians guiding your rotations are included. So your people,teamwork skills and attitudes will make a difference.

Bottom line: Have fun at medical school. Enjoy the incredible opportunity you have been given. By being in medical school you are part of a very select crowd with a line of people that could have been in your seat. In Texas at least, there are 1600 applicants for a seat in each of 7 medical schools, about 400 interview and 140 (avg) are selected. Less than 10%. Food for thought.....

DaveinDallas said:
Personally, I'm not concerned about my residency chances at this point. Most of the rotations, other than FP/Geriatrics, are done at the major hospitals in the DFW metroplex. I figure that rural medicine will expose me to patients I may not see in the big city.

From everything I've been told, residency is about board scores and how you work with people in your rotations. In your recommendation letter that you get from your Dean, the comments of the physicians guiding your rotations are included. So your people,teamwork skills and attitudes will make a difference.

Bottom line: Have fun at medical school. Enjoy the incredible opportunity you have been given. By being in medical school you are part of a very select crowd with a line of people that could have been in your seat. In Texas at least, there are 1600 applicants for a seat in each of 7 medical schools, about 400 interview and 140 (avg) are selected. Less than 10%. Food for thought.....

Thank you so much for your help.

JO300 said:

Ignore all these people who criticize your English. Your English is great.

-Thera Ball

theraball said:

-Thera Ball

Don't blow smoke up their butt. Their english needs work. It is good that they are working on it, and I hope for their sake they do succeed in their new language but they will not be successful if they write like that. I bet you are the type of person that says "ebonics" is a language that is ok, and 2+2 = 5 as long as you don't hurt any feelings, and you will comfort someone in their folly rather than offer to help them correct themselves. You will watch people crash and burn all the while telling them everything is fine, and you will keep going on, and be successful yourself because your reading and writting is ok. Do you think if an essay was written like that it would get a second look in med school or any other professional school? I don't think so! Help these people, don't excuse them.As GW says," it is the soft bigotry of low expectations."

theraball said:

-Thera Ball

Thank you.

Static Line said:
Don't blow smoke up their butt. Their english needs work. It is good that they are working on it, and I hope for their sake they do succeed in their new language but they will not be successful if they write like that. I bet you are the type of person that says "ebonics" is a language that is ok, and 2+2 = 5 as long as you don't hurt any feelings, and you will comfort someone in their folly rather than offer to help them correct themselves. You will watch people crash and burn all the while telling them everything is fine, and you will keep going on, and be successful yourself because your reading and writting is ok. Do you think if an essay was written like that it would get a second look in med school or any other professional school? I don't think so! Help these people, don't excuse them.As GW says," it is the soft bigotry of low expectations."

You need to work on your communication skills. You can say whatever you want and help as many people as you can without looking down at them.

JO300 said:
You need to work on your communication skills. You can say whatever you want and help as many people as you can without looking down at them.

I am not looking down at you. As an intelligent person I expect that you can do it. I think people who make excuses for people with poor grammer are the ones "looking down at them" for thinking they don't have the intelligence to do it the right way. All of us, my family included, were immigrants who couldn't speak english but they learned it, and they spoke it properly.