rural ophthalmologist -- Personal Statement material, or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I would like to practice comprehensive ophthalmology in a semi-rural area, eventually.

But I'm guessing this is something I should keep to myself while writing my PS and doing interviews, as most PDs are at big academic centers and not so into the idea of rural ophtho.

True, false?
If false, that would be great, as it would give me more free rein to discuss how I'm different from other applicants.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I would like to practice comprehensive ophthalmology in a semi-rural area, eventually.

But I'm guessing this is something I should keep to myself while writing my PS and doing interviews, as most PDs are at big academic centers and not so into the idea of rural ophtho.

True, false?
If false, that would be great, as it would give me more free rein to discuss how I'm different from other applicants.

Thanks for any input.
I actually had a paragraph in my personal statement stating how I wanted to practice ophtho in a rural area some day. I dont think it hurt me in any way. A few interviewers asked me about it on the trail but nobody gave me the sense they they thought it was bad.

Now if all a program wants are residents who are going to become academic ophthalmologists and do research, yes this might make them stear clear of you. However there are lots of good programs out there that aren't like this.

The program I'm at currently has historically graduated residents that have gone on to do academics and residents that go out on their own.

I agree. There are a few programs where the expect all of their residents to go on to fellowships and be research-oriented academic ophthalmologists, and it might hurt you at those places. However, from the sounds of it, those places might not be the best fit for you anyway. At most programs, I don't think it will make any difference.

I would keep in mind, however, that a lot of things might change in your view. I've seen a lot of residents who were planning on going into comprehensive find something they love and do fellowships, and vice versa. Look for a place that gives you the opportunity to do either.

Dave