Rural or Underserved Focused Schools That Aren't Impossible to Get Into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imperfection

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm applying for the 2012-2013 cycle and currently have 9 schools on my list, 7 of which are reach either because they're top tier or state schools for which I'd be OOS. My medical interests lie very definitely in rural/underserved care and my ECs and PS reflect this. Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty finding schools with this kind of focus that aren't impossible to get in to. I'd love any ideas!

The list so far is:
1. University of Washington (in state, though I haven't lived in WA long so may have a disadvantage)
2. Harvard
3. Emory
4. Johns Hopkins
5. University of Wisconsin (OOS)
6. Temple
7. Baylor
8. Tulane
9. UCSF

Another important factor for me is the availability of an MPH program. All the schools above offer an MD/MPH combined, but I'd also be happy taking the MPH after the MD.

DO school recommendations are also very welcome.

For reference, my stats are: 3.75 cGPA, 3.60 BPCM, 36S MCAT. I have 1000+ hrs non-medical volunteering, 50hrs medical volunteering, 42hrs shadowing (pediatrics, neonatal pediatrics, and geriatrics). More medical volunteering on the way (12 hrs/week until matriculation - 9hrs/week at an underserved clinic), and more shadowing on the way (20hrs, neonatal pediatrics). I've also lived in Egypt while studying and volunteering teaching English to refugees, lived in the UK, lived in France, worked part-time as a math and writing tutor in college, and currently work full-time as a nanny for <1yr olds (can you tell I'm interested in pediatrics? :D). Oh, and I'm a reapplicant... :(. I was not ready last year - applied late and had several pre-reqs in progress that year. Overall though, I'm hoping to be a pretty competitive applicant. I just want a broad list of schools to apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

Kansas University School of Medicine has a very good rural medicine program. Although they take primarily instate applicants, they do tend to give spots to OOS students that have a commitment to rural medicine. Plus, KU has the Kansas Medical Student Loan Program. If you are certain on either Peds, FM, EM or IM, and you are willing to practice in a rural/underserved part of Kansas for four years, then you will get a full tuition scholarship plus a $2,000 monthly stipend. Lately, the Kansas legislature has been approving about 30 scholarships for each incoming class.

The dean of admissions told me that they have offered this program to OOS students in the past. I posted the link below if you are interested.

http://www.kumc.edu/student-service...oan-programs/kansas-medical-student-loan.html