iatrosB

trying not to kill anyone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
hiding from a code
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Hey all,

I'm not sure if this thread would be better placed in the "rural medicine" forum, but I don't think it would get good exposure there. Does anyone know in general what city size you need to support a pediatrician? For general peds, what is the ideal population to pediatrician ratio. I'm sure the AAP has the numbers, but I don't know them. Thanks

Stitch

Jedi Ninja Wizard
    Volunteer Staff
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Dec 12, 2002
    Texas
    1. Attending Physician
      I can't answer what is an optimal ratio, but there's definitely a huge need for rural pediatricians. A few people in my class recently signed on with a couple of rural offices and are being very well compensated in terms of starting salary, signing bonus and even some loan repayments. If you can find a community you like, I doubt anywhere is too small, and you'd be greatly appreciated.

iatrosB

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 9, 2004
      hiding from a code
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        I can't answer what is an optimal ratio, but there's definitely a huge need for rural pediatricians. A few people in my class recently signed on with a couple of rural offices and are being very well compensated in terms of starting salary, signing bonus and even some loan repayments. If you can find a community you like, I doubt anywhere is too small, and you'd be greatly appreciated.

Awesome...thanks for the input! Do you know the smallest community they are going to? I'm just not sure if a <3,000 member town can support a pediatrician.

About the Ads

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
        Administrator
        Volunteer Staff
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 14, 2002
        1. Attending Physician
          Awesome...thanks for the input! Do you know the smallest community they are going to? I'm just not sure if a <3,000 member town can support a pediatrician.

pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/107/2/e18.pdf

I think 3000 is a bit small, but don't immediately know the smallest possible. There are considerable data about this out there and a lot depends on "linking" small towns and traditional referral patterns.

iatrosB

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jun 9, 2004
          hiding from a code
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/107/2/e18.pdf

I think 3000 is a bit small, but don't immediately know the smallest possible. There are considerable data about this out there and a lot depends on "linking" small towns and traditional referral patterns.

Per the article above:

"Using a demand-based model with national pediatrician
            visit data, the AAP has estimated that counties
            require a minimum of 16 000 people to support 1
            general pediatrician.21 However, it is difficult to factor
            into these estimates the unique features of rural
            communities, including children’s need and demand
            for care, unique factors shaping rural pediatricians’
            practices, hours, and productivity, and competition
            for children from other child health providers. The
            present study suggests a larger population is needed
            to support a pediatrician, showing an inflection point
            at a county population of 25 000 for both the likelihood
            of having at least 1 pediatrician and for greater
            pediatrician-to-population growth."

It looks like 16,000 or 25,000 is the break-point (not the smallest possible, but the most likely to support a ped). Thanks OBP!

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.