Rush Medical College Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2) Are there stoves and cooking areas in the student lounges? Yes, but I've never seen anybody use anything but the microwaves and toasters

3) Do the student lounges have cable, ping pong; those kinda things? It's not like an undergrad rec room. It's open to all disciplines as well. Cable, a computer, couches, tables for eating/studying, and a basic kitchen space.

5) Are there lounges that can accomodate a late night of studying as well as a couple hours of sleep into the morning so that I would not have to go home if it is inconvenient? Yes, you could technically "crash" on the student lounge couches. (You have 24 hr access with your student ID). I have also heard of it happening on occasion in the 9th floor rooms. It's not too common though. First year is not nearly as bad as it sounds like you're expecting. Stay on top of the work load and you will be ok.... and not need to crash on floors. :)

To whoever answers these; you are the or woman. Thank you so much in advance, Im coming in from Arizona the day befroe orientation starts so I will not be able to figure these things out over the weekend.

You will still have time to get settled and figure things out during orientation - it is not all consuming. We're the ones that actually start class on Tuesday. :-(

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know of a good place to buy a matress????

also, is anyone selling their old furniture or know of anyone who's trying to get rid of some stuff???

thanks! :D

I just saw a promo today called "Pizza in Bed" that might help, if you haven't gotten a mattress yet. Bring an original receipt from Giordano's (up to $100) and take that total amount off a mattress purchase at the Bedding Experts (www.beddingexperts.com). Good on Sealy Posturepedic or Stearns & Foster. If you guys get a group to go to Giordano's (or anybody goes with family), get Saraeee the receipt! I prefer Lou Malnati's, but Lou's, Giordano's, and Gino's East are three big names in Chicago deep dish pizza. An excellent meal for those new to Chicago. There's a Giordano's on Van Buren and Halsted. :thumbup:

jennben, was my response not good enough? hahah

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks jennben! I'll definitely check that place out!

jennben, was my response not good enough? hahah

just elaborating.... especially about overnight-ers. i think that varies quite a bit both by class and by person, but is still pretty rare. what's more common (sadly) seems to be a lack of showering. you know who the few guys are that let hygeine slide - and learn not to sit next to them during the actual exams. :laugh: samyjay - remember Ramesh and and Yasir's beard growing contest? i can only imagine how hairy they'll be come time for boards!

In honor of that crazy Aussie and his unfortunate demise at the hands of a sting ray, I'm going to the Shedd Aquarium today. Ok, not really doing it for him, but I just feel like hittin' up the aquarium on this o so rainy day. If anyone wants to join me this afternoon, gimme a call... 847-370-9478.

-Jess

GOOD LUCK TO YOU GUYS! I know school starts on wednesday (or tomorrow for you M2s). Rush is a great place and WELCOME!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU GUYS! I know school starts on wednesday (or tomorrow for you M2s). Rush is a great place and WELCOME!

No more summers for me..... :(

orientation begins on wednesday right??? that's what the pamphlet said but I talked to someone at the office on the phone and they said tuesday, can anyone clarify

orientation begins on wednesday right??? that's what the pamphlet said but I talked to someone at the office on the phone and they said tuesday, can anyone clarify

In the official orientation letter that they sent us it says international students have orientation tuesday (tm) and that we have it on wednesday starting with registration at 930am.

hope that helps, i was confused about that for a while too

One more day 'til orientation!

guys, do we have to bring anything to orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to "Back to Bed" at 600 W. Roosevelt because someone on here suggested it. The manager, Cory hooked me up with a Full-size Simmons Beautyrest mattress for $360 with tax and delivery included. That was the best deal I've found by far. He said he'll hook up any Rush student the same if they come in and mention they heard about him on the message boards.

I just saw a promo today called "Pizza in Bed" that might help, if you haven't gotten a mattress yet. Bring an original receipt from Giordano's (up to $100) and take that total amount off a mattress purchase at the Bedding Experts (www.beddingexperts.com). Good on Sealy Posturepedic or Stearns & Foster. If you guys get a group to go to Giordano's (or anybody goes with family), get Saraeee the receipt! I prefer Lou Malnati's, but Lou's, Giordano's, and Gino's East are three big names in Chicago deep dish pizza. An excellent meal for those new to Chicago. There's a Giordano's on Van Buren and Halsted. :thumbup:

I went to "Back to Bed" at 600 W. Roosevelt because someone on here suggested it. The manager, Cory hooked me up with a Full-size Simmons Beautyrest mattress for $360 with tax and delivery included. That was the best deal I've found by far. He said he'll hook up any Rush student the same if they come in and mention they heard about him on the message boards.

hmm... i would demand at least 60 bucks back. i actually still have that dude's card i think. i didn't end up buying from there though.

yeah, I didn't get any sort of orientation packet from the school at all and have no idea what room to go to, when to get there, or what to bring. The web site pretty much is useless in helping too. Can anybody out there who did get one of these mystical packets answer these questions for me?

Thanks in advance.

yeah, I didn't get any sort of orientation packet from the school at all and have no idea what room to go to, when to get there, or what to bring. The web site pretty much is useless in helping too. Can anybody out there who did get one of these mystical packets answer these questions for me?

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure somebody in your class will be checking tonight, but just in case.... Just show up on the 5th floor of the Armour Academic Center, the building on the corner of Paulina & Harrison. If you remember where the lecture halls are, go there and you should find free coffee, juice, and a sundry of mediocre baked goods. (Just turn toward the windows when you get off the elevator and follow the sound of voices - outside room 540). Everything is usually at 9, so I'd say caffiene, food, and mingling at 8-something? Bring a pen. Dress casual. Meet. Greet. Enjoy. :D

In the official orientation letter that they sent us it says international students have orientation tuesday (tm) and that we have it on wednesday starting with registration at 930am.

hope that helps, i was confused about that for a while too

9:30 am it is.

I also just got the big sib/little sib group list.... Are any of you Michael B, Kristin H, Brian P, Nathaniel S, or Sean W???

hahaha jennben, you are on top of things, but remember, im still your "big" sib, so i can boss you around hahaha

hahaha jennben, you are on top of things, but remember, im still your "big" sib, so i can boss you around hahaha

You just tell yourself that.... Too bad our syllabi are all yellow, orange, and green. A pretty shade of LAVENDER would have been nice. :p

-- Minnie

See you all at Bar Louie!

Let me know if any of you need a copy of HistoTime. And if you don't know what that is, your bib sibs dropped the ball!

This is of course if any of you ever return to this thread. Ours died once school started. It's like we had studying to do or something. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

One of my big sibs also had a CD he made of photos of the laserdisc histo slides. I'm going to ask him for a copy of that. When I get it, you're all invited to copy it.

One of my big sibs also had a CD he made of photos of the laserdisc histo slides. I'm going to ask him for a copy of that. When I get it, you're all invited to copy it.

Everybody gets HistoTime, but I've never heard of anyone lifting from the laser discs!! They are good, but the hematopoesis discs are the ones you're REALLY going to want to study from. Out of curiosity... who is your big sib???

James M. (Japanese last name) took pictures with his digital camera of the TV screen showing the laserdics slides. I emailed him about it today, so if he gets it to me I'll make it available to anyone who wants it. So, what are these hematopoesis discs and where can I get one?

Bro if you could link those pics that would be awesome.

thanks

James M. (Japanese last name) took pictures with his digital camera of the TV screen showing the laserdics slides. I emailed him about it today, so if he gets it to me I'll make it available to anyone who wants it. So, what are these hematopoesis discs and where can I get one?

That's insane!! Majorly excessive. Just going up to the 9th floor and running through a couple images is sufficient. Nobody spends THAT much time with the discs. The hematopeosis ones, yes, but those are up and running around exam time with a bunch of people in each room. Just bounce around and plod through the images. It doesn't take that long.... (Both sets can be checked out from the METC and viewed in the study rooms).

I was supposed to pick up the CD today but I had to get home and wash the smell of dead people off me. I don't know if he labeled all the slides like the are in the laserdisc book. If he did, then yeah, that's way more work than I'd do. When I get it, anyone who wants to can copy it.

Anybody out there??

Could any of you Rush c/o 2010 members let me know how you've liked at it Rush so far and what your typical day is like as an M1? (How long you're in class each day, etc.)

Thanks!!

Hey all current M2's. I wanted to get your thoughts on how M1 went.

What did you think of Center Court apartments?

Where were common places to study (library, coffee shops on Taylor St.)?

Any thoughts on Circle Apartments?

How was the safety? Walking home at night (where was home)? Walking alone?

Thanks in advance!